SkyscraperCity banner

1821 - 1840 of 6570 Posts

·
All Urban
4,348 Posts
^^ I agree. But generally, if you'd look at transport patterns, I'm sure that you'd find a lot of people from the fringe suburbs do commute to town. So I'm sure that with careful planning, you'd be able to plot the line's alignment along the higher density areas.

You did mention transit oriented developments. That is perhaps something that can be explored further. Like how a bus interchange, LRT/KTM Komuter station and a shopping mall (perhaps even inclusive of connected residential units) can co-exist on a single plot of land. That should boost the pull factor for the hub as well.

Rather than see KTM as a competitor, I think it would make sense to see KTM as a supplementor. Even a relief perhaps. The Subang-KL Sentral part does parallel the KJ Line somewhat, but I think it is located further away than the higher density catchments that the KJ Line tends to serve. Unless some efficient feeder bus system can be arranged, I don't think that KTM could be a viable relief or as you say, competitor in the manner.

Given the government's pace at implementing things, I wouldn't be surprised if we remain with 2 LRT lines in time to come.
Full agreement to your points here...which is why, when I look at the density and travel patterns and opportunities for further growth...

I see PJ and Cheras as places where public transport is absolutely vital - along with the northern parts of KL - Kepong, Jinjang, Selayang, Wangsa Maju, etc.

Puchong travel patterns are directly towards KL...so an LRT line (or extension of the monorail with higher capacity) directly from KL Sentral along Jalan Klang Lama and Jalan Puchong would be a guaranteed success.

As for the Komuter, you are correct that Komuter cannot exactly operate as a "relief line" under current operations...but on the other hand, if KTM can improve their operations by creating more shuttle services and fast train services...then things will be a lot better.

Id love to see the LRT lines extended to meet the KTM Komuter lines for the sake of network integration. For example, a person coming from Klang or Shah Alam should have the option of a fast, limited stop train to KL Sentral or to switch to the LRT at Subang Jaya. A person from Klang intending to travel to Bandar Tun Razak should be able to interchange with the Ampang LRT at Jalan Templer...and a person coming in from Sg. Buloh or Rawang should have the option of a fast train to KL or the option to switch to the Ampang LRT at Kepong Sentral or new monorail line at Segambut.

Cheers, m

·
Registered
65 Posts
If the govt dont deliver its our duty to show our dissapointment via the vote. I believe this is the only way to change their mindset. This will tell them WE WANT CHANGE.

SOME FACTS below

13 new Bombardier Kelana Jaya LRT trains cost 71 million Euro. If we save a bit of money buying the military planes or submarine we can improve the transportation system tremendously. Buy more bus and rail vehicles.

The monorail is congested during peak hour. Why is the government not buying more monorail trains from Scomi? At least have a 3 or 4 car monorail during peak hour. How much will the few extra monorail trains cost? I bet it will not be more than Rm 12 million per train since it is locally manufactured.

I really wonder if the goverment actually think about the people. Since 1998 what are the improvements done on the LRT. Why does it take more than 10 years for extension? Only in 2007 the government begin to fire fight when the lrt become grossly congested. PLEASE plan for the FUTURE. Planning takes time and if we continue to fire fight i bet the extension will be have some not feasible alignment and another public wastages.

After the commonwealth games we never really leverage on the infrastructure instead we left it to decay until now. The reorganisation of Rapid KL is in the right direction. The government should provide more funds for KTMB and public transportation.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I fully agreed with you that if our government does not perform, then they will be voted out. There is no more money politics/guaranteed seat in this government anymore.

Comparing with Singapore, the public transportation system in KL city is really shameful. More LRTs and monorail lines are needed all over KL. They should build them really fast and concurrently (just like Shanghai), if resources are available.

Also I notice in the latest KL Sentral web site and the KL City Plan 2020 that monorail is not going to have a terminal station within the Lot G Development of KL Sentral. Why? :bash:

If the govt dont deliver its our duty to show our dissapointment via the vote. I believe this is the only way to change their mindset. This will tell them WE WANT CHANGE.

SOME FACTS below

13 new Bombardier Kelana Jaya LRT trains cost 71 million Euro. If we save a bit of money buying the military planes or submarine we can improve the transportation system tremendously. Buy more bus and rail vehicles.

The monorail is congested during peak hour. Why is the government not buying more monorail trains from Scomi? At least have a 3 or 4 car monorail during peak hour. How much will the few extra monorail trains cost? I bet it will not be more than Rm 12 million per train since it is locally manufactured.

I really wonder if the goverment actually think about the people. Since 1998 what are the improvements done on the LRT. Why does it take more than 10 years for extension? Only in 2007 the government begin to fire fight when the lrt become grossly congested. PLEASE plan for the FUTURE. Planning takes time and if we continue to fire fight i bet the extension will be have some not feasible alignment and another public wastages.

After the commonwealth games we never really leverage on the infrastructure instead we left it to decay until now. The reorganisation of Rapid KL is in the right direction. The government should provide more funds for KTMB and public transportation.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
^^ according to developer, they wanted people to go through lot G. more foot traffic = more business opportunities. this is the reason why the monorail is not connected to kl sentral in the first place.

hopefully they have the common sense of making an even level connection between kl sentral and kl monorail.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
^^ according to developer, they wanted people to go through lot G. more foot traffic = more business opportunities. this is the reason why the monorail is not connected to kl sentral in the first place.

hopefully they have the common sense of making an even level connection between kl sentral and kl monorail.

·
Registered
169 Posts
This is the most hilarious and crazy reasoning that I have ever had. In order to make KL Sentral a true Transport Hub, all the land transport systems including buses and monorail should be integrated together.

Having city planners who think that way really piss me off. No wonder our country is still very far behind than our neighbour.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
All the planning and contracts are given to the well connected and not people with brains and common sense. The second problem is these people think small and short term.

Just look at the stairs going down to the air asia buses at KL sentral. It's a tragedy waiting to happen. The freaking stairs are so narrow. Who designed it that way?

I am sure the mall on lot g will be like another pertama complex. MRCB could have hired a well known architect to design a truly world class mall. Unfortunately we still have all these executives who just settle for local designs.

That's why we will always be decades behind Singapore! Truly Shameful.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Banks are not willing to lend money to extend the LRT or monorail due to the fact our public rail transit have a notorious reputation to loose billions of ringgit. Who want to bear the risk?

Per km cost of building LRT can go up to USD 50 million. So guess what the extension will drag for sure.

So make sure our govt is able to repay RM 170 million per km before we start to talk about extension by the km

Putra LRT cost about RM 5.2 billion for 30km in 1998. Star LRT maybe a bit cheaper. We need to be realistic and not to be fooled by our EPU big hoo hah of allocation of how much money to improve public transport. Just do the maths.

We are struggling to dig money out for the stimulus plan. Where are we going to find Rm 1 billion per year to build 30km of LRT over 5 years? We will incur big deficit for sure. It took us almost 10 yrs to digest Asian Financial Crisis. Hence our LRT was neglected, renationalised in 2001 and now another financial crisis.

2008 GDP was commendable at RM 740 billion at current price. However the people still have no money to spend in their pocket. Our purchasing power is not improving not to mention we need to pay lots of money to send the kid to overseas when our local university is not up to par. As the time goes Malaysia will be in more and more challenging situation, throwing good money after bad ones.

Singapore in 2009 begin to dig into their reserve funds. Where is Malaysia's reserve funds when we have been exporting petroleum since 1974? Why until now we still looking here and there for stimulus package? Are the money well spent? If yes why r we not seeing the multiplier effect. I wish the government are more smart when investing. North South Highway is good to improve productivity. Port Tanjung Pelepas was develop to get business from Singapore. The government need to be more creative. How can a population of 4.5 million in Singapore beat Malaysia in almost all things? Something is really wrong in the way we govern our country.

A case in point when we want to argue law with Singapore our government is really not up to par because Singapore will find their best people to go to court but Malaysia will just try their luck out there. Malaysians are not inferior to Singaporeans in any way as in human capital but our governance and efficiency is really not up to standard.

SIA former CEO is a Malaysian and he can help Singapore to build a world class carrier. MAS on the other hand near go bust. Why do we always need to try the hard way and waste time. The only reason I can find is that Singapore cherish the Malaysian talents more than our government do.

Mr Ong Tee Keat recently said in an interview that although MCA do not hold high position in MITI, EPU, MOF he believe MCA still can contribute to make good economy policy. I think he must be joking when he say MCA can influence economy decision of Malaysia when he as transport minister cant influence project approved by EPU whether it make sense or not.

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
All the planning and contracts are given to the well connected and not people with brains and common sense. The second problem is these people think small and short term.

Just look at the stairs going down to the air asia buses at KL sentral. It's a tragedy waiting to happen. The freaking stairs are so narrow. Who designed it that way?

I am sure the mall on lot g will be like another pertama complex. MRCB could have hired a well known architect to design a truly world class mall. Unfortunately we still have all these executives who just settle for local designs.

That's why we will always be decades behind Singapore! Truly Shameful.
ni buat statement hentam keromo. you have any proves saying contract given to 'well connected people'? stairs design pun boleh jadi isu ke..? :eek:hno: you are the shameful!

·
Infrastructure
9,181 Posts
ni buat statement hentam keromo. you have any proves saying contract given to 'well connected people'? stairs design pun boleh jadi isu ke..? :eek:hno: you are the shameful!
Actually, the stair design is quite an issue, it slows down the movement of transfering commuters, since there is only one escalator and one lift, chances are the movement is extremely slow and uncomfortable...

Considering the number of buses (Aerobus and Rapid KL) and the need to work from Monorail to KL Sentral, it is simply mind boggling how they provide a narrow staircase which greatly slows down movement...

Last year, it was worse, the lift did not work for a few days, thus going up/down, takes quite a time, and this situation made worse by people who shout "take this bus bla bla" (Aerobus and Airasia bus), very much like Puduraya to me...

Now that the Lot G is under construction, Rapid KL bus queue has quite a problem, the taxis fill the original bus parking zone as well...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
^^ hopefully they consider making a proper bus station at lot G, or else it's puduraya 2.0

i mean, the developer do know that it's a major transport hub right?

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
Actually, the stair design is quite an issue, it slows down the movement of transfering commuters, since there is only one escalator and one lift, chances are the movement is extremely slow and uncomfortable...

Considering the number of buses (Aerobus and Rapid KL) and the need to work from Monorail to KL Sentral, it is simply mind boggling how they provide a narrow staircase which greatly slows down movement...

Last year, it was worse, the lift did not work for a few days, thus going up/down, takes quite a time, and this situation made worse by people who shout "take this bus bla bla" (Aerobus and Airasia bus), very much like Puduraya to me...

Now that the Lot G is under construction, Rapid KL bus queue has quite a problem, the taxis fill the original bus parking zone as well...
yes, we are all aware about the narrow stairs there. but it is has nothing to do with 'well connected people' or something alikes lah...

it is a clear mistake done by the architect or they might have been thinking something else would be, then suddently others are affected. but i don't think it is too difficult to redesign a new stairs...

·
Infrastructure
9,181 Posts
^^ hopefully they consider making a proper bus station at lot G, or else it's puduraya 2.0

It is a major hub of course, but sooner or later, i doubt KL is sufficient with just one transport hub (in this case, i mean rail...)

·
Infrastructure
9,181 Posts
^^

Definitely going to be second hub...

Already an interchange for three rail lines (ERL, Sri Petaling line, KTM Komuter)

Add with a brand new bus terminal, it is going to be the second hub...

·
Registered
10,058 Posts
Without a doubt tasik selatan is a good location just that its taking them forever and the other preposed site at terminal gombak, all thats still there is "satu lagi project barisan nasional" project board!!!

·
Infrastructure
9,181 Posts
Without a doubt tasik selatan is a good location just that its taking them forever and the other preposed site at terminal gombak, all thats still there is "satu lagi project barisan nasional" project board!!!
At the very least, construction has started in BTS for over a year now...

Unlike Gombak and more worrying, the northern terminal which still depends on the Kota Damansara-Cheras line...

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
just built the dammed BRT or real(no underground or elevated) LRT....even the MMC Metrail monorails at RM30mil per/KM is a good option.....

the current mentalities of which project gonna make my son in law rich, or future mentalities of which project will make my pendek, gemuk wife richer is not helping....

althrough BRT is cheap and simple enough for PR gov of selangor and penang to implement on their own, instead they decided to play blame game.....

and dont let me started on johore floting meglev monorel, or ali rustam hanging aerorel....

·
All Urban
4,348 Posts
Banks are not willing to lend money to extend the LRT or monorail due to the fact our public rail transit have a notorious reputation to loose billions of ringgit. Who want to bear the risk?

Per km cost of building LRT can go up to USD 50 million. So guess what the extension will drag for sure.

So make sure our govt is able to repay RM 170 million per km before we start to talk about extension by the km

Putra LRT cost about RM 5.2 billion for 30km in 1998. Star LRT maybe a bit cheaper. We need to be realistic and not to be fooled by our EPU big hoo hah of allocation of how much money to improve public transport. Just do the maths.

We are struggling to dig money out for the stimulus plan. Where are we going to find Rm 1 billion per year to build 30km of LRT over 5 years? We will incur big deficit for sure. It took us almost 10 yrs to digest Asian Financial Crisis. Hence our LRT was neglected, renationalised in 2001 and now another financial crisis.
This is exactly the reason why we need to stop focusing on mega projects that do not give maximum efficiency and return for on investment.

LRT is not going to get return on investment to justify the construction costs. MRT might ... but we are not building MRT (except possibly for the Kota Damansara - Cheras line.

There is another solution tho - build rapid transit at a lower cost - Bus Rapid Transit, Expressway Rapid Transit, Rapid Tram networks - all of these have lower investment costs so the return on investment is still high.

guess what ... the developers never wanted to have bus service at KL Sentral. Hence the poor quality design. Bus service was meant to be on Jalan Tun Sambanthan. The lane that buses are currently using was meant to be for cars and delivery trucks only.

To give you an example, I once had a conversation with Nadzmi Salleh (then Director of Konsortium Transnasional Bas which manages the Express Rail Link at KL Sentral).

He told me that if ERL Sdn. Bhd. had known that there would be a bus service to KLIA from KL Sentral, they would have never built the ERL.

KL Sentral is a rail transit hub, not a land transit hub. The fact that buses try to use KL Sentral is not because it is an effective hub - it is because there are few other options.

Cheers, m

1821 - 1840 of 6570 Posts