Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This little tour of Raleigh will be in two parts. Enjoy. As always, comments and corrections are welcome. :)

The North Carolina State Capitol from 1840 is one of the finest examples of a major civic
building in the Greek Revival style of architecture.

Fayetteville Street with the Wachovia Capitol Center. The tower is 400 ft. (122 m.) tall
and was completed in 1991.

The red Briggs Hardware Building was the city's first tall building.

Century Postal Office.

More of Fayetteville Street.

2 Hannover Square was completed in 1991. It is currently the tallest building in Raleigh with
its 431 ft. (131 m.).

Raleigh Memorial Auditorium with Lichtin Plaza in front.

The Archdale Building.

The Hawkins-Hartness House from approximately 1882.

One Progress Plaza.

The RBC Center is home to the 2006 NHL Champions, Carolina Hurricanes.
The capacity is 18,176 seats for hockey, 19,722 for basketball, 19,500 for center-stage
concerts, and 18,900 for endstage 360 performances.

The Andrews-Duncan House from 1874.

The Banking & Trust Company Building on Martin Street.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Nice indeed. I had a good time there, met some wonderful people. I have to admit though that it may be the American town with the lowest pedestrian traffic of all. Downtown is literally dead. Walk there after office hours (or even during working hours) and it looks like a movie set.

·
Proud Torontonian
1,421 Posts
Nice indeed. I had a good time there, met some wonderful people. I have to admit though that it may be the American town with the lowest pedestrian traffic of all. Downtown is literally dead. Walk there after office hours (or even during working hours) and it looks like a movie set.

It was kind of the same deal when I lived in Charlotte. Going from such a busy, vibrant, happening city like Toronto to a more or less dead-after-four city like Charlotte was killer.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
@MDGuy,
Yuval,
Dallas Star: Thanks! :)

@zachus22: Yes, I noticed the same thing.

Time for the last and final part....

----------

First Baptist Church.

The beautiful Heck-Andrews House from 1870.

Executive Mansion.

North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences.

First Presbyterian Church

Raleigh Water Tower.

City Market.

Raleigh is the "City of Oaks," so in Moore Square stands a giant copper acorn as a symbol
of the city.

Tabernacle Baptist Church.

State Legislative Building.

The Carter-Finley Stadium is home to the North Carolina State University Wolfpack football
team. The capacity is currently 57,583 spectators.

The Haywood House.

The Rogers-Bagley-Daniels-Pegues House.

·
Registered
79 Posts
nice pictures!
can anyone post some pictures of the famous Research Triangle Park?
thanks a lot!
:cheers:

·
Registered
18 Posts
great pictures! I lived in Raleigh for four years and I think these really capture the feel of it. Did you make it to any of the great old neighborhoods just northwest of downtown? (east of capital blvd right before it hits downtown)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Jungwen,
koogle,
Nikom,
onceagain: Thanks for the nice replies! :)

Did you make it to any of the great old neighborhoods just northwest of downtown?
No, sorry, my visit there wasn't long enough to explore anything else but the downtown area.

·
Member since Sept. 2004
582 Posts
The RBC Center is home to the 2006 NHL Champions, Carolina Hurricanes.
The capacity is 18,176 seats for hockey, 19,722 for basketball, 19,500 for center-stage
concerts, and 18,900 for endstage 360 performances.

I remember this stadium well... 2006 was a horrible year haha. Those stupid hurricanes beat my team! Oilers had an amazing come back.. but blew it game seven... That was really depressing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts