Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although Raleigh does not have a dramatic skyline yet, it is still a beautiful city. Here are some photos I have taken recently. You can tell that I don't have a fraction of the talent that Flash and RaleighNC have, but I do love my city and want to show it off. Post your Raleigh pics here also. Hopefully the afore mentioned photographers will contribute to this thread and you can see some truly incredible pictures of Raleigh.

Many of these pictures were taken on a Sunday afternoon, so there isn't much street life.

Fayetteville Street

Mecca established 1930

Nice historic details

Art Deco Wake County Office Bldg.

New convention center and Marriott hotel rising.

Christ church founded 1821

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Rick, I know that Flash is hard to beat, but my photography isn't difficult to surpass in quality, any day ;) Your photos are very good. The problem we all face is to show off our city without repeating the same stuff. It is tough to make Raleigh look great at this point in time. We have several years to wait until our city's fabric matures. We have only a few options when it comes to photography: the skyline from the same old angles, Fayetteville Str, Glenwood South, City Market and project sites. That is it. Given the material you had to work with, your photos are more than great :eek:kay:

One of the great things that our downtown offers, which you have successfully captured in your photos, is the variety of architectures. While we lack great examples of modern high-rises, we do well in maintaining some historic buildings. These older structures are pleasing to the eye, at the street level. Yesterday (Sunday) and today, I went to downtown in order to take some photos. While there was some activity on Sunday, tonight was a bit disappointing. Glenwood South had a little activity, but too little to change the perception that Downtown Raleigh has no nightlife. Of course, we all know this is far from true. Memorial Day is always a slow time for downtown. I must say this: North Hills was pretty busy on Sunday ;) Hopefully, by 2010, we'll be seeing a lot of activity in downtown throughout the year.

So, tell me something, Rick. Is this a personal thread, or a general Raleigh photo thread, where we can all post our photos? I think we need something like this, in order to avoid creating too many threads. A Raleigh photo thread would simplify things a bit in the future.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^ This is definitely a Raleigh photo thread. Hopefully many forumers will post their photos here, creating a central photo library for Raleigh. It will be nice in the future to look back on this thread and see the differences that our current projects made on downtown. This is quite an exciting time.

RaleighNC: is there something I should do to the title of this thread to show it is a general thread?

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
Raleigh is looking good :)
Raleigh is the Southeast's "Boston" :lol:

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
I'll take that compliment anyday...
I kinda meant it as a compliment :)
Me and Raleigh-NC were just laughing 'cuz obviously Raleigh and Boston are very different. But at the same time, Raleigh is dense for a southeast city, is VERY educated and techy, has great research/universities close by and is progressive.
And Memandi Hall in Raleigh was loosely based off Boston's Symphony Hall- especially acoustically :cheers:

·
Registered
387 Posts
I kinda meant it as a compliment :)
Me and Raleigh-NC were just laughing 'cuz obviously Raleigh and Boston are very different. But at the same time, Raleigh is dense for a southeast city, is VERY educated and techy, has great research/universities close by and is progressive.
And Memandi Hall in Raleigh was loosely based off Boston's Symphony Hall- especially acoustically :cheers:
and Boston is a city which caters to the young professional crowd, which is also true about Raleigh.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Enough talk, let's move to some more Raleigh photos, with some comments underneath them. I will begin with a set of photos I took from Cardinal Club on a cloudy Saturday morning.

Gotta love this crane!!!

It will remain the tallest tower in Raleigh for only a short time.

A nice look at Glenwood South and the Western edge of the State Government complex.

Quorum Center stands proud. Great redevelopment, in my opinion.

The bulk of the State Government complex.

Love it, or hate it, this is our State Capitol Building.

Archdale Building with Capitol Park and Village At Pilot Mill in the background.

The Centennial Plaza.

Looking at the West side of dowtnown, where The Warehouse District dominates the landscape.

Park Deveraux.

The Dawson.

Here is another Saturday morning, but this time on a sunny day, at the street-level.

Is this used for modern day demolition projects?

Tired after battling NIMBY's.

Whatever it takes to keep the NIMBY's out of downtown.

Before anyone makes the wrong assumptions, this is not a typical Saturday morning. With Artsplosure and Downtown Home Tour happenning at the same time, it is not a surprise to witness activity in pretty much all areas of downtown. Nothing massive, but still above normal.

Some renovations are taking place.

A future urban canyon in its making.

Raleigh's skyline from the top of Bloomsbury Estates 1. Top money for top view!!!

Raleigh is definitely an one mule town. One mule is all I saw.

Now, let's move 5 days forward, on the Thursday before Memorial Day. This is typical activity for downtown, so nothing special or out of the ordinary. Kids make up some of the street-level activity, particularly in the State Government district. Another beautiful day!!!

Women in uniform!!!

I redefine 'weird' on a daily basis.

Jorge Washington!!!

Cranes!!!

People are far more interesting, so let me 'shoot' a few more.

Construction sites are making up much of the overall downtown experiense these days. Wherever you go, it is inevitable to see some sort of construction taking place. Part of the revitalization process, I believe.

George makes some good, fresh lemonade, but he needs a break every now and then.

After a lunch at Yancy's.

Former governor Jim Hunt.

A little density at the Village At Pilot Mill.

Have a nice evening!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great shots RaleighNC. Tell me, how did you get them to let you up on top of Bloomsbury Estates? Was that you working the crane yesterday?:)

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
^^
Thanks, RaleighRick. John Bruckel, the developer, took me up there, during the Downtown Home Tour. I do not know if all visitors had the opportunity, but I did :) The views were fantastic, I must say. Whoever has a 7th floor unit that faces the East should be very pleased with the view :eek:kay:

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Thanks, Brig :) I am very pleased with the overall progress in downtown, particularly in the CBD area - not just along Fayetteville Street. The reopening has certainly helped and I amazed how many pedestrians get close to the construction sites, without being too concerned - many people avoid those sites as much as they can. I mention that because seeing pedestrians near the construction sites makes me feel like I am in a big city, where people don't get overwhelmed by ongoing projects. It is funny when you go to Yancy's during lunch time... People sit outside while construction in the adjacent RBC Plaza takes place. Amazing!!!

1 - 20 of 102 Posts