SkyscraperCity banner

81 - 100 of 677 Posts

·
Expert
6,905 Posts
Saw this on the Burj Dubai thread

At 110 levels, Burj Dubai is now the tallest structure in the Middle East and Europe

Burj Dubai, the iconic super-tower of Emaar Properties, is now the tallest structure in the Middle East and Europe.

At 110 levels and 380 metres high, Burj Dubai shares the honour of having the largest number of floors in any building in the world, alongside Sears Tower in Chicago. At the current height, the tower is also the world's ninth tallest building.

Burj Dubai is now taller than Emirates Office Tower (355 metres), which was the tallest building in the region. Burj Dubai is only one metre shorter than the Empire State Building - the second tallest in the US.

--------

It's going to be rather depressing to see the top 10 or even top 20 dominated by skyscrapers all in China or Dubai. And while we often claim that height doesn't matter, it's always fun to be a part of the competition.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
It's going to be rather depressing to see the top 10 or even top 20 dominated by skyscrapers all in China or Dubai. And while we often claim that height doesn't matter, it's always fun to be a part of the competition.
Not merely fun, but it will have some type of cultural significance. Not the biggest deal in the world, though.

·
5,837 Posts
^^ None will define their cities as much as Chicago's scrapers define chicago. They're just duplicating what you've already achieved. Chicago has the real depth. Ny and Chi are what these cities emulate and aspire to look like. We should be flattered, really. Besides half of what's being built in Dubai and China look like complete shit.

·
The City
5,935 Posts
What ever happened to Azn Chi Boi? Call me bored, but I happened to find out that his last post was in August 2006.

Looks like the little whipper snapper grew up and moved on. God bless that kid...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Snce dont want to make a new thread for this (and it is kinda random) I'll just post my Q here:

Do you Chicagoans consider 2-Prudential to be a supertall? (995 ft, but 303m)

·
Registered
420 Posts
^^ Maybe because it's (2pru) right next to the Aon building but I don't think of Pru2 as a Supertall. To me there are only 3 Supertalls in Chicago today, Hancock, Sears and Aon. Trump, Waterview and Chicago Spire would be added to that list when their completed/built.

Does the Council on Tall Buildings have a definition of Supertall?

·
C.B.P.
1,188 Posts
Just a reminder, we're having a Citizens for Better Planning meeting tonight at 8:45pm at the Billy Goat on lower Michigan.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
Well, now, I don't have much time on my hands.... wait erase the "much". I mean no time... I don't have time to post as much. I love posting 20+ post each day. I stopped posting, when the forum was so slow, it will take 15 mins just to post a post.

I have been on this site occasionally, but not sign on.
I will occasionally post again, but not as much as before.

I can't believe you guys still remember me. It is spring break next week, so yep.

By the way, I am still the same old me, still live in Bridgeport, representing the Southwest Side.

Edit: Wow, the forum is definately much faster.

·
Expert
6,905 Posts
Saw this on another thread:

Dubai: Damac Properties said it will develop a Dh1 billion cluster of eight Chicago-style buildings in Dubailand called Lincoln Park.

Will they be recreating the NIMBY experience as well?

·
less is more
978 Posts
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117961943.html?categoryid=18&cs=1

Zell likely to take Tribune
$8 billion bid may be accepted this week

By BEN FRITZ

Sam Zell
Mogul Sam Zell has bid $8 billion for Tribune.
Chicago real estate mogul Sam Zell is looking like Tribune's new owner.

According to a Bloomberg News report, the Los Angeles Times' parent company will likely accept Zell's $8 billion takeover bid by the end of the week.

He has previously said he plans to keep the entire company intact, including its newspapers, Web sites and TV stations.

Other bidders included L.A. billionaires Ron Burkle and Eli Broad and the Chandler family, original owners of the L.A. Times, joined by News Corp.

David Geffen also put in a bid for the L.A. Times alone.

Zell's offer, which would make Tribune a private entity, would create an employee stock ownership program to help finance billions of dollars in debt.

Tribune had set a self-imposed deadline of Saturday to pick a winning bidder.

·
Expert
6,905 Posts
The bird's eye view is now available for Chicago! It's a lot of fun to look all around the map and rotate views. The maps are even pretty recent - you can see a lot of buildings like Trump well under construction.

http://local.live.com/

81 - 100 of 677 Posts