SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some completely random images from Google Street View of various cities. I picked a city at random and typed it into the google maps search box. It usually gives you 3 places of interest on the side at random. I chose one of those places of interests and dropped the pegman at a random intersection within a 3 to 5 block radius of that place of interest. For cities that didn't have Streetview, they usually have a collection of Panoramio uploaded pictures so I chose 3 of those instead for each city.

LOS ANGELES, CA

Los Angeles (Flower and 5th) by GoogleStreetViewJunkie, on Flickr

Los Angeles (Grand and 2nd) by GoogleStreetViewJunkie, on Flickr

Los Angeles (Durand and Creston) by GoogleStreetViewJunkie, on Flickr

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks. It's really interesting to look at completely random streets in a city than just the most photographed and visited places, because those are more revealing and off-the-beaten-path, parts of cities that no one really sees. Obviously I don't have the means to go to these places but at least I can virtually travel through Google Street View!

Unfortunately some Rust Belt U.S. cities are not exactly going to be depicted in the most attractive way: the Green Bay and Louisville images are gray, blurry and low-res, and bland (it doesn't have that the random Louisville images were all in some kind of industrial area, by pure chance).

GREEN BAY, WI

Green Bay (Frank and Kenwood) by GoogleStreetViewJunkie, on Flickr

Green Bay (Hutson and Hinkle) by GoogleStreetViewJunkie, on Flickr

Green Bay (St. Robert and He Nis Ra) by GoogleStreetViewJunkie, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
13,315 Posts
You might want to ask a mod to move this to the Cityscapes photo forum. This section is just for images that you have produced/own.

Nice collection though so far. I love Google street view. I could spend days just exploring on that thing.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
I like how you don't even mention the country when the photos where taken in the US, just the first two letter of the state....

Anyways, the idea is good. These random street view pictures actually tell us much more about how a place is than the usual SSC photo threads. There is a whole site dedicated to this, http://www.mapcrunch.com/

·
Registered
64 Posts
I like this concept much... like you said, more representive. Most cities aren't either glam or "grit", nice to see just the typical.

·
5,277 Posts
I like how you don't even mention the country when the photos where taken in the US, just the first two letter of the state....

Anyways, the idea is good. These random street view pictures actually tell us much more about how a place is than the usual SSC photo threads. There is a whole site dedicated to this, http://www.mapcrunch.com/
Great website. Thanks for the link.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts