SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Random shots of London

16907 Views 130 Replies 78 Participants Last post by  ~*SuperDritz*~
Some more of London

Nothing too much exceptional, just snapshots from few places. The main reason why I didn't take more pictures - weather. It sucks when for the entire week it's sunny and dry and on the day you go to a photo tour it starts raining :bash:

Anyways here are pictures, taken about a week ago :)

Near Tower Hill tube station

Office buildings seen on the opposite bank of Thames (part of London Tower can be seen on left)

Does anybody know what building is this? Quite a big one

No need to introduce this one ;)

London Tower

Next to Fenchurch train station

This is what London City is all about

Tower 42... ugly (at least for me)

Canary Wharf tube station

Piccadilly Circus (sorry for the rain ;))

Piccadilly tube station on my way to my place

I've got some pictures of suburban London. if anybody's interested I might post those as well. :)
21 - 40 of 131 Posts
@KM
My camera is the same old crappy 2Mpixel canon with 3x optical zoom, it really sucks but I can't afford a new cam right now (even if I could I'd find better occasions to spend the money e.g. making a trip to China or Thailand ;)).

And how do you feel seeing a woman all covered with a black scarf with only her eyes visible (these pics don't show anything like that but such views are common in London)? I personally find this a little unpleasant :|
Amazing, John. My camera (got it two-three years ago) also has 2mpx , but I could never pull of such quality shots as you do with yours - you've become quite a photograper:yes:

As for that "ninja-woman", here in Toronto, I see such things everyday, so I've grown used to it...the only thing we can hope for, is that their children will turn their backs on such "traditional" outfits:)

Of course, in Arab countries, where landscape is dominated by desert, and powerful winds can cause sandstorms, such clothing is only logical...but what is its use in Canada, UK , rest of Europe...!?
["Great pics!", "Wonderful pics!" and all sorts of other similar comments thrown together.]

Aciui! (don't sue me for not having that weird Lietuviu character on my keyboard) You're truly using all the potential of your cam, man. Awesome and interesting scenery such as London helps a lot, though. Truly a wonderful city - most interesting in Europe or the world, perhaps?

http://img199.exs.cx/img199/3962/18383160wx.jpg
awesome pic

In pretty much every pic I've seen of Ldn, the districts never seem to form a uniformal style. It's not uncommon there to have buildings from 19th century and 1970s standing next to each other on the same street, is it?

Additional questio:
Is HSBC Tower as shagadelic in real-life as it looks in the pictures?
@OL
London is indeed an awesome place. Indeed it must be THE best, most vibrant, diverse and lively place in Europe (even though I haven't been much elswhere :|). And you're right about the nonexistance of "uniformal" style. E.g. in the City of London you might see old historic buildings next to the funky modern ones, Swiss Re and other skyscrapers are not exceptions, they're standing in the middle of historic London's district. I'll make more photo tours if the weather will be ok. Oxford street is funky with it's shopping and crowds but in architectural terms it's not as interesting as some other places. And there are so many things to see that I'm just getting confused and can't decide where and what I should see first. I guess I'll try to make some kinda schedule and map of what, where and when I have to visit :|

Oberleutnant said:
Additional questio:
Is HSBC Tower as shagadelic in real-life as it looks in the pictures?
What exactly you mean by "shagadelic"? :|
Hey JOhn, so how expensive is London, in your opinion? Is the tube ticket price really 5 pounds, as I have heard somewhere? And how are you getting by? Have you checked the job market and such?
5 pounds is for a one day travelcard which can be used for all means of public transport for unlimited number of times i.e. tube, buses, trains, trams (there is a tramlink in Southern London) etc. So basically you can travel for the whole day wherever you want in London for 5 pounds. I think it's reasonable (though it's still expensive). This is especially useful for tourists, in one day you can get to many places just in minutes :).
Kommandant Mark said:
Hey JOhn, so how expensive is London, in your opinion? Is the tube ticket price really 5 pounds, as I have heard somewhere? And how are you getting by? Have you checked the job market and such?
What is the number one attraction in London. Well, actually can you list the top 10 if you will, worth seeing, please.
What is the hotel rate like in London. Can you get a decent one to two star hotel room for relatively low price compared to other places in Britain?
@VoytekZ

Perhaps you should ask this somebody who's more familiar with London than me because I'm staying here only for a few months ;)

But according to my point of view, you must see these things (well these are the best known landmarks and they DO kick ass regardless of how much hype they have caused and how popular they are ;)):

1. Houses of Parliament and surrounding stuff (Westminster Cathedral etc., some parks).
2. Trafalgar Square
3. Canary Wharf
4. Take a walk around London City (Swiss Re, London Tower etc.)
5. Take a walk around West End at night and go to some nice pubs or restaurants (it's extremely expensive but you just can get a few beers or cocktails what won't make you too poor anyway ;))
6. Go to Piccadilly Circus and surrounding areas (it's the West End as well)
7. Take a night walk around the pedestrian riverbank near the Tower Bridge.

And the rest 3 just pick by yourself. Buy a day travelcard for the public transport and use public transport for the whole day to get from one place to another (it doesn't take that long). For £5.20 you'll be able to travel all around London using tube, buses and trains. So just select your point of interest and get your ass to it (just as I did during my first days in London ;)).

P.S. You can easily do this in 2 days (or even 1 day if you're fast and won't mind being extremely exhausted by the end of day) :)
Bosnia-Herzegovina: A Quick and Dirty Tour

Bosnia and Herzegovina:
A QUICK AND DIRTY TOUR

BOSANSKI BROD

BOSANSKA DUBICA

BOSANSKA GRADISKA

BOSANSKA KRUPA

BOSANSKI NOVI

BOSANSKA OTOKA

BANJA LUKA

BIHAC

BIJELJINA

BRATUNAC

BRCKO

BREZA

BUGOJNO

CAPLJINA

CAZIN

DERVENTA

DOBOJ

DRVAR

DUVNO

FOCA

GACKO

GLAMOC

GORAZDE

GRACANICA

GRADACAC

JAJCE

KAKANJ

KLJUC

KONJIC

KOZARAC

LIVNO

LJUBUSKI

MAGLAJ

MODRICA

MOSTAR

NEUM

ODZAK

OLOVO

POCITELJ

PRIJEDOR

PRNJAVOR

SANSKI MOST

SARAJEVO

SREBRENICA

STOLAC

TESANJ

TESLIC

TRAVNIK

TREBINJE

TUZLA

VELIKA KLADUSA

VAKUF

VISEGRAD

VISOKO

VRNOGRAC

ZENICA

ZVORNIK
Nice pictures Mila.. if you don't mind me asking.. how come you came back?
Very nice picturse, but I'm alittle dissapointed that you provided only ONE picture of Sarajevo, since it is the capital I think it deserves alittle more recognition. :yes:

BTW, Mila...Why don't you talk more instead of just showing us pictures? I'm glad to see pictures, but I also wish to hear from you more in some threads.

:cheers1:
The title is confusing!

Majevcan
This is a good picture that I think would be a really nice banner:

http://www.bosniaexpress.com/sbphotography/Sarajevo/Images/image_11.jpg
PyRoMaNiAc - Nice picture, but I do think that it would look better when the Parliment Building is fixed, which will start this summer. :) Let's wait untill it gets fixed, before we make it a banner. :D
Before I go to a more serious photo tour, here are some quite recent random photos taken in various places in central London

Oxford Street and centre Point tower seen from the entrance of Marble Arch tube station

Entrance of the underground tube station

A funky Chinese restaurant in Soho, a very nice and stylish place :cheers:

Trafalgar Square

Parliament towers

Getting closer

Going towards Vauxhall station and leaving the Parliament on the right

The next day, somewhere in West End

Oxford Street again

Oxford Circus

Few days later. Vauxhall Station and Eurostar train heading towards Waterloo station

Westminster underground tube station

Big Ben and other random shots around the Parliament

Westminster Abbey

Abbey towers, built only in the 18th century (if I'm not mistaken)

All for now :)
London rules!!!

BTW great pictures. I really love the night shots.
london is cool, reminds me too much of nyc though, im more into the less developed but major european cities....some of my favorites are hamburg, and of course belgrade :)
Nice pics. I really like general street shots. London is certainly one city in Europe what I´d like to visit.
21 - 40 of 131 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.