Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Development News & Updates

Rouche District of Beirut

Carlton Hotel under construction (Left, back), Burger King (front), Seaview Residential Duplex under construction (Right), and of course the Royal Plaza Hotel.
(Pics taken August 2005)

Daytime:

Nightime:

Rotana Hotel (Left), Bahri Gardens (Right):

·
Registered
807 Posts
The Carlton is closed. There is no construction going on there. That concrete high-rise right behind it is an expansion they started during the war and it was never finished.

It's a huge eye sore.

·
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^ Oh I know but I think there are plans to renovate the whole hotel. It nice to just say its "under construction" because eventually it will be. The problem was that the owner died I think...

·
Registered
807 Posts
Beirut! said:
^^ Oh I know but I think there are plans to renovate the whole hotel. It nice to just say its "under construction" because eventually it will be. The problem was that the owner died I think...
A group of Saudis bought it from the Medawar family (the owners of the hotel) along with the Saudi company, Fahd al Adel last April.

They are going to demolish the hotel and the unfinished annex and build a new hotel in its place, but no formal plans have been announced yet. They are probably going to wait a few years.

·
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Lebanese Cedar said:
A group of Saudis bought it from the Medawar family (the owners of the hotel) along with the Saudi company, Fahd al Adel last April.

They are going to demolish the hotel and the unfinished annex and build a new hotel in its place, but no formal plans have been announced yet. They are probably going to wait a few years.

That will be a shame if they demolish it because it is a famous landmark in the area...
But as long as something changes thats all that matters.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Beirut! said:
That will be a shame if they demolish it because it is a famous landmark in the area

But as long as something changes thats all that matters.
Yes, it is a very famous landmark and it was one of the best hotels before the war, but it could not face up to the competition of the new hotels that were coming up because it became old and outdated and was in need of renovation.

It closed in 2002, the same year the Movenpick opened which is right next door.

The new owners figured it's an old building that is not worth renovating and it is better to invest in building a new more modern structure that will be more attractive to customers and be capable of competing with Beirut's other luxury hotels.

Saudi Prince Walid bin Talal, the owner of the Movenpick and the Four Seasons under construction was planning to buy it in 2000, but for some reason, the deal never went through. I'm not sure why.

·
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish Walid Bin Talal would buy all the buildings needing renovation!

Speaking of luxury hotels in the Rouche area, do you have any pics of the Safir Heliopolitan Hotel. Is it the tallest hotel in the area? I dont like its design but its nice to have high rises in the area...

Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
807 Posts
You can see it here:

Check out their website also:
http://www.safirheliopolitan.com

It's a pretty nice hotel. It has a nice, but expensive, French roof-top restaurant with great views of the area.

A Kempinski hotel is under construction in this empty plot of land on the right:

It will be 22-floors and have 270 rooms.

Kempinski is Europe's oldest luxury hotel chain and is headquartered in Switzerland:
http://www.kempinski.com

Their hotels are quite luxurious. I'm glad Beirut will be getting one.

Also, the Rotana hotel you pointed out earlier will look like this when completed:

It will be called Raouche Rotana Suites, Beirut's first all-suite hotel.

http://www.rotana.com/factsheets/raouche.htm

It's not a particularly stunning design, but I am glad they are making use of this ugly concrete block which has been an eye sore for many years.

·
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, nice pics..

I always wondered, whats with the small house in the center of that empty plot of land?
And the hotel that will be in its place looks amazing, thanks for posting that.

·
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And the Rotana Hotel will also be another impressive addition. I cant wait until all these will buildings be complete, Rouche will look quite luxurious.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Beirut! said:
Thanks, nice pics..

I always wondered, whats with the small house in the center of that empty plot of land?
And the hotel that will be in its place looks amazing, thanks for posting that.
I am not sure what that small house is, but it will have to go with the construction of the hotel.

Beirut! said:
And the Rotana Hotel will also be another impressive addition. I cant wait until all these will buildings be complete, Rouche will look quite luxurious.
It is supposed to open next month, though I'm not sure if that will happen. It will be a very welcome addition. It'll probably be the hotel with the nicest view in all of Beirut because of the Raouche Rocks, at least until the Kempinski is completed.

Rotana will have 4 hotels in Beirut soon. They are building an all-suites hotel across from the Grand Hyatt that is under construction. It will open in late 2007 or sometime in 2008.

Coral International Hotels, Resorts, & Spas is building a boutique hotel in the Raouche area called Coral Boutique Raouche, though I am not sure exactly where. They are also building a regular hotel on Commodore Street (parallel to Hamra Street) called Coral Commodore.

From what I have heard, they bought two buildings which are being converted into these hotels. They presently have 5 hotels in the UAE and they look pretty nice.

Here's their website:
http://www.coral-international.com

Good to see the Raouche area getting more hotels. It needs them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nadini said:
yes for some reasons they have not renovate the highrise, just the bottom part

From what I heard, the young son of the hotel owner (who was in charge of renovating and running the establishment) died tragically in the 90s, and the father - an old man- was so grief-stricken that he did not go through with the project, and has been largely withdrawn since the loss.

·
Support The Environment
1,122 Posts
Beirut! said:
Rouche District of Beirut

Carlton Hotel under construction (Left, back), Burger King (front), Residential tower under construction (Right), and of course the Royal Plaza Hotel.
(Pics taken August 2005)

Daytime:

That building with the crane is seaview residential duplex. It has barely been touched for many months and now, the big rock that is on the crane is flying in the air over burger king. Anybody knows what is wrong with that building?

·
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very Controversial said:
That building with the crane is seaview hotel. It has barely been touched for many months and now, the big rock that is on the crane is flying in the air over burger king. Anybody knows what is wrong with that building?

Are you sure that is a hotel? I had always thought it was residential... but anyway, I heard the property is haunted for many reasons and something happens to every building that is constructed there...

·
Registered
807 Posts
Very Controversial said:
That building with the crane is seaview hotel. It has barely been touched for many months and now, the big rock that is on the crane is flying in the air over burger king. Anybody knows what is wrong with that building?
It's a residential building and it looks exactly like it looked during my last visit to Beirut in summer 2004.

Another eye sore to Beirut's skyline...

·
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Hotel is composed of a total of 18 floors, 6 floors are underground and 12 floors are above street level. Royal Plaza Hotel offers its guests 65 luxurious rooms and suites where our aim is for all our guests to receive personal touch service. Every guest will enjoy VIP treatment and will feel as if they are at their home away from home.

www.royalplazahotel.com.lb

1 - 20 of 171 Posts