1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
| = one metre
( ) = head/tail of train
- = train gangway/link

Vancouver Canada Line Rotem LRV (2-car): 41 metres x 3.0 metres - 334 Passengers
(||||||||||||||||||||-||||||||||||||||||||)

Vancouver Canada Line Rotem LRV (3-car [future]): 51 metres x 3.0 metres - ~400 Passengers
(||||||||||||||||||||-||||||||||-||||||||||||||||||||)

Vancouver SkyTrain Mark II (2-car): 34.7 metres x 2.65 metres - 260 Passengers
(||||||||||||||||||-||||||||||||||||||)

Vancouver SkyTrain Mark II (4-car): 69.4 (2x34.7) metres x 2.65 metres - 2 x 260 = 520 Passengers
(||||||||||||||||||-||||||||||||||||||)-(||||||||||||||||||-||||||||||||||||||)

Vancouver SkyTrain Mark I (4-car): 50.8 (4x12.7) metres x 2.4 metres - 4 x 75 = 300 Passengers [4 x 110 crush load = 440 Passengers]
(||||||||||||)-(||||||||||||)-(||||||||||||)-(||||||||||||)

Vancouver SkyTrain Mark I (6-car): 76.2 (6x12.7) metres x 2.4 metres - 6 x 75 = 450 Passengers [6 x 110 crush load = 660 Passengers]
(||||||||||||)-(||||||||||||)-(||||||||||||)-(||||||||||||)-(||||||||||||)-(||||||||||||)

Calgary C-Train U2A (3-car) / Edmonton Transit U2A: 73.2 metres - 600 Passengers
(||||||||||||||||||||||||-||||||||||||||||||||||||-||||||||||||||||||||||||)

Calgary C-Train SD160 (3-car): 74.4 metres - 600 Passengers
(|||||||||||||||||||||||||-|||||||||||||||||||||||||-|||||||||||||||||||||||||)

Calgary C-Train SD160 (4-car [future]): 97.6 metres - 800 Passengers
(|||||||||||||||||||||||||-|||||||||||||||||||||||||-|||||||||||||||||||||||||-|||||||||||||||||||||||||)

Calgary C-Train U2A (4-car [future]): 99.28 metres - 800 Passengers
(||||||||||||||||||||||||-||||||||||||||||||||||||-||||||||||||||||||||||||-||||||||||||||||||||||||)

Montreal Metro (9-car): 152.4 metres x 2.5 metres
(|||||||||||||||||-|||||||||||||||||-||||||||||||||||)-(|||||||||||||||||-|||||||||||||||||-||||||||||||||||)-(|||||||||||||||||-|||||||||||||||||-||||||||||||||||)

Add more info to the list!

·
~ Mysterious Entity ~
4,865 Posts
This is definitely a topic I'd be interested in hearing more about. Anybody have the stats for Toronto and the passenger numbers for MTL?

And commuter train stats would be interesting too!

·
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґ&#4
5,767 Posts
All of Toronto's current subway car models are 23 m long and run in 6-car configurations, except for on the Sheppard line which are 4-car. So it'd look something like this:

(|||||||||||||||||||||||)-(|||||||||||||||||||||||)-(|||||||||||||||||||||||)-(|||||||||||||||||||||||)-(|||||||||||||||||||||||)-(|||||||||||||||||||||||)

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
BC gov't has already stated funding is in place to expand all Expo Line stations to 104 metres to accomodate 6 MK11 or 9 MK1 trains by 2020 at the latest.
All stations on the Expo, Millenium, and soon to be constructed Evergreen Line are built to be easily extending to 104 metres with relatively small cost and no disruption of service to bring all lines up to that capacity and running every 90 seconds.
The big failure is the new Canada Line as extensions can only go from 40 to 50 metres and that's it. If they need to extend them further then it will take huge funds and major disruption. Most of the line is underground so even if they have the money they may not be able to do it. This is because several stations level off after significant inclines/declines.
Eventhough the trains have the ability to run every 90 seconds it is still very short sighted and , when extended , will still only have a crush capacity of 15,000 PPHPD..............pretty pathetic.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
^NYC is narrower for sure.
Width
NYC New Kawasaki Cars - 2.98 m
Toronto New Red Rocket Cars - 2.62m

Height
NYC New Kawasaki cars - 3.67m
Toronto New Red Rocket Cars - 3.66m

Length
NYC NYC New Kawasaki Cars - 18.35m
Toronto New Red Rocket Cars - 23.33m

·
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґ&#4
5,767 Posts

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
???

The new Rockets are the same width as the T1s, which were the same as the H-series and the M-series before that, all of which being 3.1 m wide.

The new Rockets - T35A08 specifications -

* Car Builder: Bombardier Transportation
* Car Body: Aluminum and steel
* Unit Numbers: TBD
* Fleet of: 234 cars (i.e. 39 6-car trains)
* Train Length: 139,980 mm (based on Movia)
* Car Width: 2620mm (based on TTC T1 specifications)
* Car Height: 3658 mm (12’ 0”) (based on TTC T1 specifications)
* Track Gauge: 1495 mm (58-7/8”)
* Total Weight: N/A
* Propulsion System: Bombardier MITRAC
* Motors: AC Traction motors
* Power (Third Rail): 600 VDC
* Power (Auxiliary): 120/208 VAC
* Braking System: N/A
* Total Seating: 288 (based on Movia)
* Coupling/Numbering Arrangement: None - single car set
* Air Conditioning System: Yes
* Price per car $18.2 million per set (6 cars) or $710 million

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5511.shtml

·
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґ&#4
5,767 Posts
The new Rockets - T35A08 specifications -

* Car Builder: Bombardier Transportation
* Car Body: Aluminum and steel
* Unit Numbers: TBD
* Fleet of: 234 cars (i.e. 39 6-car trains)
* Train Length: 139,980 mm (based on Movia)
* Car Width: 2620mm (based on TTC T1 specifications)
* Car Height: 3658 mm (12’ 0”) (based on TTC T1 specifications)
* Track Gauge: 1495 mm (58-7/8”)
* Total Weight: N/A
* Propulsion System: Bombardier MITRAC
* Motors: AC Traction motors
* Power (Third Rail): 600 VDC
* Power (Auxiliary): 120/208 VAC
* Braking System: N/A
* Total Seating: 288 (based on Movia)
* Coupling/Numbering Arrangement: None - single car set
* Air Conditioning System: Yes
* Price per car $18.2 million per set (6 cars) or $710 million

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5511.shtml

Interesting...if thats true then these new ones will be quite a bit narrower than the current fleet. However, it says "based on T1 specifications", which according to this, are 3150 mm. http://transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5505.shtml

·
Less is More
3,044 Posts
It is hard to get a seat on Montreal metro because the cars are quite narrow. Most people wind up standing. I have no figures, but my memory is that our cars are about the same width as the ones in NYC.
NYC is a bit thinner, based on my experience last weekend.

·
~ Mysterious Entity ~
4,865 Posts
Montreal's metro cars are only slightly wider than Parisian metro cars.

Do they have the same dimensions as the rubber-tyred metro cars in Mexico City and Santiago?
Paris metro cars are narrower than Montreal's? That crowding on the Paris metro must be terrible then considering it has 94% the ridership of NY Subway with 64% of their route length.

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
What about the width and length of the new Toronto subway cars? They are dreamy inside... you can walk the entire length as it just snakes along with no divisions. I long for the day when I catch one of these gleaming new trains, and also happen to have my camera with me. I was on one the other night and a drunk girl kept loudly repeating:
"These are just like the C Trains in Calgary", whatever the heck those are.

·
~ Mysterious Entity ~
4,865 Posts
As for Montreal, Wiki says "The total capacity of each car is 160 passengers, 39 to 40 of which are seated." So a nine car vehicle can hold 1440 and a 6 car vehicle can hold 960.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts