SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rapperswil is a little city at the "coldcoast" of the lake of zurich.
the city has an age of 800 years and consists of a castle and a church on the hill, a nice old town center and a monastery at the western tip of the headland. it's connected by a bridge with the other side of the lake. the first bridge was built 600 years ago and is now rebuilt.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ooh, I love Rapperswil! I spent seven weeks in Zurich in 2000 and made many afternoon trips to Rapperswil. Hope I can go back someday...Thanks for the photos!

·
Resurrected
24,352 Posts
Great pics :applause:

I love to take a trip by boat from the center of Zurich to Rapperswil - a recommendation for all visitors to the city anyway ;)

·
Resurrected
24,352 Posts
I heard that the Americans always laugh about the town's name - Rapper's Ville (wouldn't have come up with that idea myself) :lol:

·
Optimum
9,977 Posts
Kuesel said:
I heard that the Americans always laugh about the town's name - Rapper's Ville (wouldn't have come up with that idea myself) :lol:
No. That's the Manitoban version. What I heard in Saskatchewan is... That's "The Rapper Bill" :lol: Actually that's a joke made by the "Newfie racist" Conitz... He jokingly told me

Zurich "Shoe-Rich"

Zug "Suck".

Also, Egg, ZG--- English "Ugh" (Imitating the way Swiss German produced the word")

Adilswil "Adult's ville".

Bremgarten "Brain-garden" (Newfie "Brain" sounds like English "Bran", with trill)

·
Resurrected
24,352 Posts
:lol:

Zuerich has been changed into "Zureich" - Too Rich - by the alternative scene in the early 1990s and a big poster with that name was welcoming the visitors close to the main stations for many years. In the meantime the squaters had to pack their things and moved out.

Nowadays at the very place stands an ugly post-modern office bock and only a few 100m away from that historical place the telecom company Sunrise was painting the slogan as a huge slogan as a mural close to the train tracks... Time is always taking you over in the end ;)

·
Optimum
9,977 Posts
Kuesel said:
Wrong area! :lol:

And we don't all look like that anyway ;)
Appen-Zell seems very far away for Zuerichers. It is well-separated by many hills, low mountains and valleys. Though the actual distance is just 100 km, it's very much like another country--- Every Swiss Cantons are almost as diverse as one single state in Midwest (For instance, Iowa), and Rapperswil is probably right in the city limit of Zuerich--- to the east and south there are other ranges, though occupies just a few thousands square kilometres--- it's totally different from the "wide and huge" feeling in Rocky Mountains--- South of Rapperswil region the terrain is getting mountainous, and I was told that the German accent in Central Switzerland and Appen-Zell is quite different from City Zurich--- though in Upper Walais that's almost unintelligible--- It's just 200 km away.

Note that Swiss (or Bavarian) Suburbs are less integrated to their city as North American Suburbs--- generally these suburbs are mostly originates from a small town, and develops an identity of their town more so than North American suburbs. Actually I think Rapperswil would be considered as an inner ring suburb of Zurich--- but look at the map more carefully... I think that's more like the outermost suburb. There is a big difference between how Swiss and North Americans measures their distance--- and Swiss tends to live in multi-storey houses or apartments.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts