SkyscraperCity banner

5901 - 5920 of 6378 Posts

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Doesn't look chaotic in that photo lol.

Maybe he is referring to the density in the foreground. Well there is no city in Africa without a low density foreground lol. And almost no city in the world without SOME low density... and it tends to be geographically constrained cities like Hong Kong.

If it is the spread of the city, well there is nothing you can really do when a skyline has sprawled. All we do is wait for consolidation.

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
No it doesn't. On the contrary, it looks decently laid-out and very green, which was the reason why I posted it. You probably need glasses.
Lagos should learn from cities like Bangkok or Shanghai how to use its rivers and coastline effectively. Very few large African cities have so many waterways and it can make for a very nice city. E.g. Bangkok is probably a realistic model for Lagos to aspire to. Still chaotic but reasonably developed. Joburg has no waterways or coastline which really limits it as a city:

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
I agree with you, I just thought he was holding up Lagos to the yardstick of African cities.

The image shown was hardly below the level of organization of other African cities. So I suppose that was what shocked us...in that it was that particular image that drew the comment. By such lofty standards, the only cities that wouldn't draw immense criticism here would be Capetown, maybe Sandton, the Luanda waterfront (only) and maybe a few isolated examples.

The waterways argument is clear. I don't think there are many cities in the world, forget Africa that have waterways as good as Lagos. (I am sure Popa1980 will disagree) but there really aren't that many. It goes beyond even what you realize. Did you know that the old suburbs of Lagos have canals? Eko Atlantic City is not the first to have it in Lagos. So you have canals all over Lagos and in Eko Atlantic, you have the Lagoon which is one of the largest in Africa, you have the Atlantic Ocean etc.

but it is changing. I don't think it was the priority in the past, but it is becoming one slowly. The Eko Atlantic City promenade for example will be the longest continuous promenade in the world (and possibly also the widest). There is now a plan to redevelop the Marina in Lagos Island (which fortunately shouldn't be difficult, since there are really no buildings there, just car parks which can easily be torn up) as well, and there are resorts springing up all along the coastline.

Reactions: ILoveAbuja

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I agree with you, I just thought he was holding up Lagos to the yardstick of African cities.

The image shown was hardly below the level of organization of other African cities. So I suppose that was what shocked us...in that it was that particular image that drew the comment. By such lofty standards, the only cities that wouldn't draw immense criticism here would be Capetown, maybe Sandton, the Luanda waterfront (only) and maybe a few isolated examples.
Even Cape Town and Sandton aren't great by global standards. The beauty of Cape Town's skyline is primarily based on the table mountain, not the buildings. Sandton essentially has no skyline, but it is trying to shape one - which is great!

Same story with Luanda (the waterfront); I consider it to be beautiful most times, but it definitely can't be compared to global cities. However, it is certainly in the right direction.

The story is similar across Africa... The great thing though is, unless you have an already formed skyline, like Cape Town or Jo'burg or North African cities, you still have the chance to forge a beautiful one, so I believe most African cities would do great!

5901 - 5920 of 6378 Posts