SkyscraperCity banner

6461 - 6480 of 6498 Posts

·
Mwafrika
2,450 Posts
^^ Prompted me to look up the stats on buildings above 15 floors & 20 floors in both, and in a few Nigerian and EAC cities (for roughly the same population size in both ends). Listed them in order from highest to lowest numbers in each category, includes complete and topped out buildings

Nairobi (EAC-Ke)
20flrs and above- 29​
15-19flrs - many​

Dar Es Salaam (EAC-Tz)
20flrs and above- 24​
15-19flrs - many​

Lagos (Ngr)
20flrs and above - 17​
15- 20flrs- many​

Mombasa (EAC-Ke)
20flrs and above - 5​
15-19flrs - 10​

Kampala (EAC-Tz)
20flrs and above - 5​
15-19flrs- 4​
Abuja (Ngr)
20flrs and above- 2​
15-19flrs- 5​

Kigali (EAC-Rw)
20flrs and above- 1​
15-19flrs - 4​
Eldoret (EAC-Ke)
20 flrs and above- 1​
15-19flrs - 1​

Ibadan (Ngr)
20flrs and above- 1​
15-19flrs- 0​
Uyo (Ngr)
20flrs and above- 1​
15-19flrs- 0​
Kisumu (EAC-Ke)
20flrs and above- 0​
15-19flrs- 2​

Port Harcout (Ngr)
20flrs and above- 0​
15-19flrs - 1​
Arusha (EAC-Tz)
20flrs and above - 0​
15-19flrs - 1​

Kisii (EAC-Ke)
20flrs and above- 0​
15-19flrs- 1​

Reactions: TheSilverRay

·
Registered
272 Posts
I feel as if SA would fair much better if they were to enter an EU type ordeal between the countries. The cultures and people are so similar.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
^^ Prompted me to look up the stats on buildings above 15 floors & 20 floors in both, and in a few Nigerian and EAC cities (for roughly the same population size in both ends). Listed them in order from highest to lowest numbers in each category, includes complete and topped out buildings

Nairobi (EAC-Ke)
20flrs and above- 29​
15-19flrs - many​

Dar Es Salaam (EAC-Tz)
20flrs and above- 24​
15-19flrs - many​

Lagos (Ngr)
20flrs and above - 17​
15- 20flrs- many​

Mombasa (EAC-Ke)
20flrs and above - 5​
15-19flrs - 10​

Kampala (EAC-Tz)
20flrs and above - 5​
15-19flrs- 4​
Abuja (Ngr)
20flrs and above- 2​
15-19flrs- 5​

Kigali (EAC-Rw)
20flrs and above- 1​
15-19flrs - 4​
Eldoret (EAC-Ke)
20 flrs and above- 1​
15-19flrs - 1​

Ibadan (Ngr)
20flrs and above- 1​
15-19flrs- 0​
Uyo (Ngr)
20flrs and above- 1​
15-19flrs- 0​
Kisumu (EAC-Ke)
20flrs and above- 0​
15-19flrs- 2​

Port Harcout (Ngr)
20flrs and above- 0​
15-19flrs - 1​
Arusha (EAC-Tz)
20flrs and above - 0​
15-19flrs - 1​

Kisii (EAC-Ke)
20flrs and above- 0​
15-19flrs- 1​
What stunts the growth of Kampala? I see major cities in EA skylines changing especially in the last decade but Kampala largely remains the same.

·
Registered
11,715 Posts
What stunts the growth of Kampala? I see major cities in EA skylines changing especially in the last decade but Kampala largely remains the same.
Kampala is a special case in East Africa. It has three land systems. While most other cities in the region have leasehold and freehold, Kampala has a third extra one called the Mailo land tenure. This one is land under the Buganda kingdom leased to subjects of the Kabaka and it covers alot of the prime land. So getting a clean title especially for foreign investors may be trickier compared to say Nairobi (actually foreigners cannot own Mailo land by law). Throw in economic factors and a regime that is slowly losing favour internationally and you have your answer.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Kampala is a special case in East Africa. It has three land systems. While most other cities in the region have leasehold and freehold, Kampala has a third extra one called the Mailo land tenure. This one is land under the Buganda kingdom leased to subjects of the Kabaka and it covers alot of the prime land. So getting a clean title especially for foreign investors may be trickier compared to say Nairobi (actually foreigners cannot own Mailo land by law). Throw in economic factors and a regime that is slowly losing favour internationally and you have your answer.
How do then explain Addis Ababa which growing quite fast by evidence of new skyscrapers popping up ? Where all land belongs to the public and there is no private land tenure-ship system.

·
Registered
11,715 Posts
How do then explain Addis Ababa which growing quite fast by evidence of new skyscrapers popping up ? Where all land belongs to the public and there is no private land tenure-ship system.
The Addis boom is driven by Banks and Insurance companies which I think have state backing hence land acquisition and financing isn't such a big deal. Kampala on the other hand has prime land under the local king (unlike Ethiopia) who clash with the national government from time to time and a banking/insurance industry dominated by foreign players that may not be interested in putting up towers.

·
Afritect
4,374 Posts
The Addis boom is driven by Banks and Insurance companies which I think have state backing hence land acquisition and financing isn't such a big deal.
I agree, Ethiopian state seems plays a big role in the investment drive in high-rise commercial properties(Banking institutions are state or locally owned).

Reactions: Kenguy
6461 - 6480 of 6498 Posts