SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm no fan of Rugby, Football or GAA games, but when I look at Ravenhill I see a place of compact intimacy, unlike those giant glass and steel monstrosities holding up to 100,000 people. (ALL of which I detest in their brutal scale, lack of originality) It would be shameful to loose the uniqueness of Ravenhill.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's good they've kept the old terrace but the rest of it will be gobshites drinking champagne and eating pawn sandwiches. Suppose the extra corporate facilities will bring in more money for Ulster Rugby.

·
Banned
467 Posts
Well rugby is a very middle class sport so any one who plays or watches is of that persuasion and hence corporate boxes are perfect for Rugby. Also there is not a single other sporting venue bar the odyssey where you can take a client for a meal and a match and seal a deal. makes good sense. even people who are not remotely interested in Rugby would not turn there noses up at a corporate ticket.

Also its not taken long for everything to get built from planning to construction. if only the new national stadium could be done as quick

·
22,302 Posts
Rugby is not a solely middle class sport. It tends to be in Northern Ireland as the Grammar schools have it as their main sport. Which I fully support as football is utterly tiresome and lacks any excitement whatsoever. It's a game full of yobs and players held up as gods despite being involved in violence, drink drinking and rape. The game is a joke.

As for Ravenhill, always enjoyed the venue, fantastic atmosphere both at Ulster Games and the Schools Cups, absolutely fantastic. The new stand will be a great addition.

·
Registered
14,080 Posts
Was wondering the same thing. There has been a long campaign to get more games played at Ravenhill. Problem is the IRFU have sunk so much money into Lansdowne that they will make sure they use it as much as possible. I don't see thing changing much. Would be good if they could get more games in Ravenhill.

Oh and they also have Thomond Park now aswell. So in all honesty Ravenhill will only be for Ulster games and some club games with the odd token international thrown in. Same as it is now.

And Rugby is a middle class sport primarilly but not exclusively - Trevor Brennan was not exactly Middle Class.

·
Registered
127 Posts
...as football is utterly tiresome and lacks any excitement whatsoever.
Sorry to go off topic, I tried not to bite but come on, top level football players are exceptionally talented, there's no argument against that. Both sports can be extremely exciting at times, and I fail to see what makes football so 'utterly tiresome'.

It's a game full of yobs and players held up as gods despite being involved in violence, drink drinking and rape. The game is a joke.
I do think you are generalising a bit there. Obviously you are going to get some players involved in the above activities, but there are many role models in top flight football. I'm sure I could dig up news articles about top rugby players who have been involved in violence, drink driving(?) and rape.

Back on topic, the new stand at Ravenhill is coming along nicely, a welcome addition to a top venue.

·
Registered
14,080 Posts
Sorry to go off topic, I tried not to bite but come on, top level football players are exceptionally talented, there's no argument against that. Both sports can be extremely exciting at times, and I fail to see what makes football so 'utterly tiresome'.

I do think you are generalising a bit there. Obviously you are going to get some players involved in the above activities, but there are many role models in top flight football. I'm sure I could dig up news articles about top rugby players who have been involved in violence, drink driving(?) and rape.

Back on topic, the new stand at Ravenhill is coming along nicely, a welcome addition to a top venue.
I agree with you to an extent but do you not agree that soccer players today are a bunch of bitches? - I mean all the diving cheating is just rediculous now. It's like a stiff breeze would blow them over.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I think this shows that everyone should bite the bullet, and let the whole national stadium idea die a death. Beef up Casement, Windsor and Ravenhill and let us have 3 decent small to medium sized stadia that are at least well used rather than an unloved, overly expensive white elephant that would probably end up half empty most of the time.

·
22,302 Posts
Top level footballer are prissy princesses that call foul with the slightest touch. It's utterly ridiculous.

Of course there are talented footballers, didn't say there wasn't. However seeing gormless footballs fans practically orgasming at the sight of Steven Gerrad while he's attending court for violently punching a DJ. This ofc follows he court appearances for drink driving in which he hit a child. Worst thing is he's get fucking off with a fine or whatever. Absolute joke!!

·
22,302 Posts
I think this shows that everyone should bite the bullet, and let the whole national stadium idea die a death. Beef up Casement, Windsor and Ravenhill and let us have 3 decent small to medium sized stadia that are at least well used rather than an unloved, overly expensive white elephant that would probably end up half empty most of the time.

To be honest Windsor is a hole and it would cost less to build a new national football stadium than repair that decrepit thing.

·
Registered
421 Posts
OK, but most of the NI football fans seem to love the place. Your accusation that footballers are a bunch of drunken rapists shows you may not be completely impartial here.

·
22,302 Posts
OK, but most of the NI football fans seem to love the place. Your accusation that footballers are a bunch of drunken rapists shows you may not be completely impartial here.

Not all, but the ones that are supposed to be role models for children seem rather lacking in such ability.

Windsor Park is not a viable location for a National Stadium, it lacks any surrounding space for decent and civilised after-game entertainment including new bars, restaurants and areas that are family friendly.

The car parking spaces are ridiculous and the stadium itself would cost a great deal to upgrade to an acceptable standard. It's currently a national embarrassment.

Hence why Ormeau Park would be fantastic.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I agree with you to an extent but do you not agree that soccer players today are a bunch of bitches? - I mean all the diving cheating is just rediculous now. It's like a stiff breeze would blow them over.
Yes, some players are a joke with regards to diving, an obvious example being Ronaldo, but I think most players would be embarrassed to be seen diving, and as such would never do so, and are let down by the players who are willing to dive. I would fully support stronger punishments for diving players.

To be honest Windsor is a hole and it would cost less to build a new national football stadium than repair that decrepit thing.
The railway and south stands at Windsor are a joke. It's a bit embarrassing when visiting fans come over and are laughing at these two stands.
I would favour building a new modern stadium somewhere in Belfast, but I'm not too optimistic. Politics and sports, not a great mix.

·
Registered
421 Posts
You're right - Windsor Park is not a viable location for a national stadium, because the whole concept of a 'national stadium' is increasingly unviable. Windsor Park is only good for football, and it is after all close enough to the Lisburn Road/Queen's quarter for after-game entertainment. Whether its civilised or not depends on the crowd.

·
22,302 Posts
National stadium does not have to include all sports, that's a warped and wholly unworkable Northern Irish P.C opinion.

National Stadiums are primarily for football in Europe with concerts, events and other invited games like athletics . So yes...a national stadium is perfectly viable.

·
Registered
421 Posts
My understanding was that the financial viability of the National Stadium depended on the participation of the 3 sports, political correctness aside.

The longer this drags on, the more we'll see the GAA, Ulster Rugby and the IFA end up doing their own things. As their stadia become more up to standard the whole rationale for the National Stadium will start to break down.

·
22,302 Posts
My understanding was that the financial viability of the National Stadium depended on the participation of the 3 sports, political correctness aside.

The longer this drags on, the more we'll see the GAA, Ulster Rugby and the IFA end up doing their own things. As their stadia become more up to standard the whole rationale for the National Stadium will start to break down.

That was a flawed basis from the very start. The very idea dragged the issues on and on and on.

Should have just developed a new stadium for football and rugby and provided funded to upgrade the GAA stadium. Would have been so much easier. The entire issue was raped by politicians when they really should have had no place in the debate whatsoever. So typical of NI, can't wait till we have decent politicians that are ACTUALLY AWARE of how to run a country.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.