SkyscraperCity banner

261 - 280 of 338 Posts

·
License plate spotter
1,310 Posts
What speeds are driven on these long straight autopistas?
How strict is speed limit enforcement?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
^^
120 km/h is the maximum speed for cars, and police usually is controlling speed with cameras on the side of the road

·
Chilean
4,197 Posts
Autopista Valles del Desierto | Tramo Caldera - Copiapo

III Region de Atacama | Chile​
Capturas de Street View​

1. Inicio Autopista

2. Sector Urbano Caldera

3. Enlace Caldera Sur

4. Retorno en U a Bahia Inglesa

5. Enlace Aeropuerto Desierto de Atacama

5. Paso en Desnivel Enlace Copiapo

·
on the road
32,422 Posts
Here, the actual border, which is crossed in a tunnel. Video shows approach from Argentinian side.

Altitude of the Chilean portal: 3204m'

The route is open year-round, except for the most heavy snow storms. It is the major road link between Chile and Argentina, with lots of truck traffic.

·
SSC Platinum+ Member
1,681 Posts
I've noticed many Chilean so called highways lack shoulders,have very narrow lanes, short entrance and exit ramps among other issues.

Are there cases of other countries that have commited the mistake of building substandard highways and then invested to bring these roads to full highway standards?

·
casi opinólogo
261 Posts
all over Latin America, lot of countries have committed the mistake of building substandard highways, but they have not invested in develop those highways.

·
SSC Platinum+ Member
1,681 Posts
all over Latin America, lot of countries have committed the mistake of building substandard highways, but they have not invested in develop those highways.

I wonder if there are success stories of countries that upgraded badly built highways to full highway standars.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I've noticed many Chilean so called highways lack shoulders,have very narrow lanes, short entrance and exit ramps among other issues.

Are there cases of other countries that have commited the mistake of building substandard highways and then invested to bring these roads to full highway standards?
I don't think this is a mistake -a substandard motorway is way better than no motorway at all. Plus, improvements can be done over time. Spain built lots of substandard motorways in the 1980s and 90s because there was not enough money available to build motorways like the ones in France or Germany. They did a great job for a long time, bringing down accident rates and travel times, and once it was possible they were renewed at a reasonable cost.

·
SSC Platinum+ Member
1,681 Posts
I don't think this is a mistake -a substandard motorway is way better than no motorway at all. Plus, improvements can be done over time. Spain built lots of substandard motorways in the 1980s and 90s because there was not enough money available to build motorways like the ones in France or Germany. They did a great job for a long time, bringing down accident rates and travel times, and once it was possible they were renewed at a reasonable cost.
Thank you for the answer! I think it was a mistake for many Chilean highways because they already had a huge traffic flow and became clogged as soon as they opened, therefor, they should've been full highways from the very first day.

These highways are financed with tolls by the way, this means that more traffic equals more revenue that can be used to pay for full highway standards.

261 - 280 of 338 Posts