SkyscraperCity banner

321 - 338 of 338 Posts

·
51,091 Posts
The peaje de Angostura on Ruta 5 south of Santiago. Are they widening the autopista? It appears that there is currently a single toll station for both directions, this peaje de Angostura is a few kilometers north, it seems they are splitting the toll stations up to two different locations to increase capacity.

Inspección obras Peaje Angostura by Ministerio de Obras Públicas, on Flickr

·
Registered
342 Posts
I was trying to find information on on-going construction of Carretera Austral.

From what I have gathered, since 2007 there has been an on-going construction at the southern end with the end objective of building a new harbour near Rio Pasqua. From there there will be ferries to transport in the archipelago (and away from glaciers) to the south. It seems that road construction is going on but given the terrain, climate and distances there can't be any hasty progress. I have yet to find any information on when this section will be finished, to me it seems they'll construct the road first and build the harbour at some time later.

Then to the south, from Puerto Natales there is a long-term plan to construct a new road across the peninsula to the west and build a new harbour around here. The fiords leading up to Puerto Natales are very treacherous, and a new road and harbour for long-distance traffic to the north would save some time and increase reliability for sea traffic.

Looking on Google Earth there has been a new road constructed to the west of Puerto Natales but I haven't found any information on current construction progress.

A highway across Chile from the north to the south with car ferries would be an amazing route to travel. From the deserts in the north to penguins in the south.

·
Arquitextualizado
7,238 Posts
Santiago main Expressway, Ruta 5, reinagurated its northern section with 4 lanes per track

Ruta 43, under construction, in Coquimbo, central-northern Chile.

Project for the 2nd largest Bridge of the Country, in Concepción, central-south Chile, ready to start construction works

Chacao Bridge, to connect Chiloé Island with the Continent, in the south of Chile. Will be the largest bridge in the country, and also the first large Suspension Bridge. It has recently already started construction works.

·
51,091 Posts
Ruta 11

Some photos by the ministry of public works of Ruta 11, the northernmost east-west route in Chile, from Arica to the Bolivian border. There is construction ongoing. Parts of this road are at 4700 meters above sea level near the border.

The volcano is the 6380 meter high Parinacota.

Ruta 11ch by Ministerio de Obras Públicas Chile, on Flickr

Complejo fronterizo Chungará by Ministerio de Obras Públicas Chile, on Flickr

·
Arquitextualizado
7,238 Posts
Autopista Vespucio Oriente
This expressway is the 13 km last part of the 'Americo Vespucio' Circunvalation Ring of Santiago that still remains as an avenue. There are 2 parts of this urban ring already built as expressways, Autopista Vespucio Norte Express and Autopista Vespucio Sur.

The expressway it will be separated in 2 parts, the first part it will be a surfaced freeway with elevated ways and tunnel crossing San Cristobal Hill. The second part will be an underground freeway built using Box jacking method.

The 'Americo Vespucio' Circunvalacion is a 64.8 km continuous urban motorway that it was originally designed to be the urban limit of the city. It was built in 1962.

source

PART 1

PART 2

Parts 1 and 2 are currently under construction.

·
Arquitextualizado
7,238 Posts
I think, at this 2019, Santiago should be the city with most undergrund freeways in Latinamerica.

Kennedy Tunnel, part of Costanera Norte Expressway, recently inaugurated.

321 - 338 of 338 Posts