Votes: 0 0.0%
  • &*$# 'em both

Votes: 10 50.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we're heading into summer, we'll soon be heading into fall. What does everyone here think of think of the Mayoral election? I've read a couple articles in Crosscut which describe Nickels as being intimidating, domineering towards the council and neighborhood. I can't say I have any idea about the personal relationships in City Hall, but I can say that I like the zoning changes, the UW Lease Lid removal, the general direction of transportation in Seattle(minus snow), and the general direction of the city. Amazon's moving into that new campus, biotech seems to be continuing to concentrate there too. I've heard that the Seattle startup community has moved to downtown, Carillon point and the eastside not as appealing as in the 90's. But mostly I see a lot of cops around, I make my bills, Seattle's still nice for me. What other sort of issues are hot button?

I'd really like to see the zoning changes near the light rail go through, and the max proposal in SLU. Nickels supports that. I'm not sure what I'd get from Drago. I've heard Drago supported a lot of what Nickels supported, and she seems pretty pro-dev, pro-biz from the interviews I've read but I know what I get from Nickels. There's appeal to that certainty.

Opinions?

·
honk!!!
2,886 Posts
I would vote for Nickels if I lived in Seattle, mostly for the reasons you've already stated, but nobody cares about my Sammamish opinion. :D

Seattle seems to be full of a bunch of crybabies who don't really know what they want in their Mayor and will be unhappy with whoever holds the office, but again I'm just a silly suburbanite who probably doesn't know what he's talking about.

I'm much more interested in the King County Executive race! I'll probably end up supporting either Constantine, Phillips, or Hunter in the primary, though I suppose I might consider Jarrett as well. I just need to figure out who is the most pro-urban/pro-density/pro-transit/anti-sprawl. :p

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw this one STB, about the Exec race-

Phillips said he disagreed with Constantine that the BNSF corridor shouldn’t be reserved for a potential Eastside rail corridor as well as for bike trails. Indeed, Constantine was the only candidate who said during the debate that he didn’t think the BNSF corridor was the right one for Eastside rail. Phillips also pointed out that Constantine actually voted for dual use.

·
Registered
15,310 Posts
I was hoping for Peter Steinbrueck. I'm actually surprised he didn't throw his hat in the ring, I think he stood a very good chance of winning. Right now, I'm not that excited about any of the candidates.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Everyone one here knows I'm disgusted with Nickels based on the Sonics fiasco. I don't like to be a single issue voter though so I need to look further into everyone. Of course I won't be voting though since I'm across the country. I just feel Nickels has his own agenda. The toilets, the street car, letting the Sonics go for chump change and lying about it, the snow removal fiasco, plastic bags, no garbage cans in parks. I don't know, Seattle's economy and growth have been good under his watch but he's also been very frustrating.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I haven't decide yet... I am still not sure about Drago... I still want someone new and have better ideas for Seattle. I must admit that I think Mayor Nickels have done some great jobs such as adding light rail to Seattle, reduced crime by 40%, fought for tunnel, changed height restriction, streetcar, encouraging more dense developments, and supporting Seattle neighborhoods. There are few things that I don't think Nickel did good job: the way he handled snowstorms, Sonics, removed a lot of garbage bins in the parks and unable to get city government the act together.

·
Journeyman
16,819 Posts
He's doing a good job in my opinion. That doesn't mean I like everything.

Complaints are often about stupid stuff like snow removal, or from people who don't like densification (not accusing anyone here). He's doing well on zoning, transit, and other big stuff.

·
Resident Meteorologist
1,355 Posts
**** Nickels..

Drago won't win...

And if that nut job right wing conservative ( Jesus Loving ) Susan Hutchison wins county executive I'm fucking moving..... PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!!!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
No one is perfect. I think Greg Nickels did good job for the most part. You cannot expect any mayor to be 100 percent perfect. Anyone can have flaws. It's part of human nature.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts