Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a city progresses, some buildings may find that they can longer be functionally used the way that they were built for.

Obviously this means that the use of the building may have to be changed e.g. small office buildings converted into boutique hotels.

Some buildings retain their use but they undergo significant refurbishment to allow the buildings to remain functional

There are many examples out there.

For example the ANZ Bank building at the corner of Pitt Street & Martin Place, Sydney is set to be upgraded. This will involve gutting the building, recladding the exterior and new fitouts.

A D/A is before Sydney City Council.

im personally disappointed to hear this building will be demolished and replaced. one of my favourite buildings in Sydney.

coincidentally I took a photo of the building while I was passing by today.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=292184&page=28

no mucking around here. DA lodged for 20 martin Place/
sorry only model shot. renders monday

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=292184&page=29

Obviously in this thread, you can post examples of readaptions that have been done already. :)

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Gazebo
Potts Point, NSW
17 storeys/68 metres

The building was constructed in 1968 and was a hotel for over 30 years. In 2005, it was converted into apartments.

Fortuantely the exterior is unchanged from its hotel days.

By fabianamuso at 2012-06-30

By fabianamuso at 2012-06-30

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Zenith Apartments
Sydney

34 stories/95 metres

Originally built as the Kingsgate Hotel and opened in 1971, this tower would be converted into apartments in 2005.

Pre conversion days (2003)

Post Conversion

By fabianamuso at 2012-07-02

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They did a nice job to modernise its look. The retail complex at the podium of the building isnt too bad as well.

·
6,438 Posts
I think Metro Quays in Townsville is a pretty good example

The Ogden Street Carpark had been a blight on the Townsville skyline since it was built in conjunction with the Sugar Shaker around 1977. but in 2000 it was redeveloped into Metro Quays, with 92 apartments on top and resident and public carparking below.

Metro Quays by Oriolus84, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
^^
Wow Fabian, Thanx so much! Spent ages looking for a pre-conversion pic last year, with no luck. Seems it still had trees on top even back then.

Love this thread. Conversions can make building dates very confusing, and I don't know what Emporis's system is on this. Still confused on Caltex House. Is that Highgate?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
^^
Thanks so much Fabian.
On the same page, Emporis says Caltex House was demolished in the status section, and renovated in the data section. Doesn't say what it was named after the renovation.
Wonder at what point do you draw the line between demolition and renovation - like how much of the building has to be left to call it a renovation?

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CULWULLA is an editor at Emporis, so you might have to ask him that question as to why one listing says "demolition" yet "renovation" in the other.

This is what it looked like Pre Conversion

Source: Emporis

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With 20 Martin Place, we are lucky that we can actually follow its redevelopment. The building has been gutted over the past year and at the moment we have a steel frame remaining.

IMG_4309
by fabianamuso, on Flickr

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The original structure never really fitted in. I think too with the redeveloped building it will look more lighter and that actually allows the older buildings to stand out more. Another plus is the windows are floor to ceiling to maximise views into Martin Place.

Also there was asbestos in the building too.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
I think Metro Quays in Townsville is a pretty good example

Metro Quays by Oriolus84, on Flickr
LOL you do? it's dirty, a pretty good example of no ability. It should have been demolished not sure if I prefer the earlier design to the refitted look. Certainly revolting on all levels to me. Cover it in glass might have helped a little but it looks like a carpark/concrete hotchpotch now.

·
26,718 Posts
IMO it looks much better now than what it did previously. You could've forgotton about any sought of paint job or major cleaning if it remained as a car park.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts