Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
18,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a look at a couple neighborhoods of Reading: Downtown and Callowhill. Callowhill is located south of Downtown, between Chestnut Street and the Schuylkill River. Callowhill is named after the family name of William Penn's wife; William Penn's sons gave the area this name when they laid out Reading in 1748. Portions of both of these neighborhoods make up the Callowhill Historic District, which runs along 5th Street from the Penn Square area down to Laurel Street.

Rowhouses on 5th Street in the Callowhill neighborhood of Reading, south of Downtown.

Rowhouses on Spruce Street.

Rowhomes on 5th Street.

Rowhouses on Bingaman Street.

Rowhouses on Laurel Street.

Rowhouses on 6th Street.

The Canal Street Pub & Restaurant on 6th Street. This factory used to be the site of the Reading Hardware Company, which produced things like doorknobs, locks, hinges, apple parers, and scales. The Reading Hardware company started in 1851, and this building dates back to 1888, when it was built to replace the company's burned down buildings. The Reading Hardware Company closed in the early 1950's. While other buildings in the company's complex have been converted into lofts, this building was a cigarette and candy distributorship in the 1960's, and became the brewery and restaurant in 1996.

Rowhouses on 6th Street.

Rowhomes on Laurel Street in Callowhill.

St. Cyril & Methodius Roman Catholic Church at the corner of 6th & Laurel Streets

Rowhouses on Laurel Street.

Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Ukrainian Catholic Church on the left, with a corner store at the intersection of Laurel & Minor Streets.

Rowhouses on 7th Street.

Run-down rowhomes at the intersection of 7th & Spruce Streets.

Rowhouses and a corner store at 6th & Spruce Streets.

Market Square Apartments at the corner of 8th & Penn Streets in Downtown Reading.

Businesses at Penn Square on Penn Street, with the courthouse in the background. Penn Square was the retail center of Downtown for decades, with a few department stores serving as anchors.

Buildings at Penn Square. The building on the left is the Farmer's National Bank building, built in 1925. The building on the right is the Commonwealth Bank Center, built in 1903.

Businesses on Court Street, with the county courthouse in the background.

The Abraham Lincoln, not named for the president but for the builder of the skyscraper. The Abraham Lincoln was built in 1929 at the corner of 5th & Washington Streets, and is now the home of the Wyndham Hotel.

The Reading Central YMCA at the corner of Washington & Reed Streets.

Reading City Hall, located at 8th & Washington Streets.

Berks County Courthouse, at the corner of 6th & Court Streets. The courthouse was built in 1932.

The Berks County Courthouse from Court Street.

Buildings on 6th Street.

Sovereign Performing Arts Center, located on 6th Street.

Rowhouses on 6th Street.

An abandoned house along Franklin Street.

No trip to Reading is complete without a drive up to the top of Mount Penn.

The Pagoda, which sits atop the south end of Mount Penn.

·
Registered
177 Posts
i swear if you would have never posted them pictures of the downtown buildings and the title of this thread, i would of thought this was wilmington. lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great pictures. I was born just outside or Reading and these pictures remind me of how incredible and historic the row house architecture is in SE PA. I think Reading has one of the best skylines (and architecutre) for a city of its size.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts