SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Rebuilding lost architectural triumphs!

26K views 274 replies 37 participants last post by  Portobello Red 
I don't believe the replacements would do the memory of the originals justice. The time, effort and money would be on the high side and I can't see any developer volunteering to take up the challenge unless they were heavily subsidised to do so. The city's made many mistakes since the war but we can't really undo what's happened. We should look to the future by looking after what we've got now (whatever we have that's worth preserving) and build a new and exciting future landscape, where old and modern stand side by side in a complimentary way.

Louis1986 said:
why live in the past? look to the future
I agree on the whole, though whatever happens in the past shapes the future. This city is currently trying to build it's future on it's past, whereas it should really incorporate the past into the future by respecting our history and heritage but not letting it get in the way of change and progress.

Liverpool8 said:
Presumably not everything in the 19th century is worth rebuilding. Very few things are worth rebuilding but some things might be. If Liverpool had been a rich city after the war, it would have had the choice whether to rebuild or not. Now, as it becomes richer, perhaps the time has come to revisit what was lost and ask whether it can be resurrected. Or is Princes Dock, Unity as good as it gets?
Do we have to look back to go one better than Unity? I hope not!

Blabbernsmoke said:
Maybe EH would have some advice on this matter.
:)

Speaking of English Heritage, I was watching a programme about snobbery today and it featured an employee of English Heritage talking about what finely bred people should and shouldn't have in their gardens. He went about his rural home counties home ensuring the only things growing in it were species of flower with rediculously posh, 'etiquette' inspired names. I kid you not!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.