SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Architect
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recent Photos of Augusta, Georgia - What Do You Think?

Last Sunday, March 20, I drove around town to some different places to capture the skyline of Augusta.
These are my first photos on a digital camera ever, so tell me what you think. :)

From the North Augusta Riverfront
General waterfront shots . . .

From the University Hospital Parking Garage
General skyline shots . . .

Buildings under construction near MCG . . .

MCG and the Children's Medical Center . . .

University Hospital, where my father works . . .

From the Calhoun Expressway
Approaching downtown by car . . .

From the 7th Floor of University Hospital
General skyline shots, forgive reflection . . .

Sacred Heart Catholic Church and the Calhoun Expressway . . .

Well, I hope you enjoyed. Next time I set out, I hope to get some from North Augusta, the Hill, and maybe even a panorama.

Forgive me for the size of each photo. If you know how I can do thumbnails, please tell me.
Any feedback is much appreciated. Thank you. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
nice shots. I doubt MCG has ever had that much construction at the same time before. It will be nice if they can figure out how to put some green space in there.

I hope downtown will eventually catch on. Columbia County (Gwinnett East) seems to be a major drain on the city.

·
Architect
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. :)

@Buckley: Yeah, Columbia County is really booming right now in business.
There are commercial construction sites galore.

@James: That's Riverplace Condominiums, or Port Royal Apartments, the tallest building in Augusta.
I'll get some close-ups next time.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Buckley said:
nice shots. I doubt MCG has ever had that much construction at the same time before. It will be nice if they can figure out how to put some green space in there.

I hope downtown will eventually catch on. Columbia County (Gwinnett East) seems to be a major drain on the city.
I agree. Its such a lovely downtown I think its a shame there's not more happening down there.

·
Registered
101 Posts
MattSal said:
^I could swear I heard somewhere that some sort of 20 story tower is planned for downtown, though I can't find it now.
Oh well . . . thanks for the feedback.
Yep. There are plans for a new judicial center. I heard they were talking about a 20 storey tower, but that was a while ago.

Great shots, some of the best I've ever seen of Augusta. It's such a great city. I love it to death.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Very nice photos :eek:kay: One suggestion: keep the size smaller... Maybe something around 640X480, which is ideal for most screens. Your digital camera must have included an application you can install to assist you in that. Not that it bothers me, but some forumers may get too lazy to scroll :) Keep up the good work and thanks for posting your photos here.

·
Architect
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^Is there some sort of way to just display them as thumbnails? Reducing an image's size (thus quality) has always felt like rape to me. I'd much rather not rape my images. Anyone have a solution?

Oh yeah, it isn't my digital camera. It's my dad's. :|

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
MattSal, you can post them at a smaller size and link the smaller image to a larger one, so people can click and get the ful effect. You don't have to make your photos too small. I have found that a 640x480 image is just as nice, especially if you are working with a 3MP camera, or less. Of course, it is YOUR property and you can do as you please, but keep in mind that some people, like myself, are still working with a dial-up connection (at home). It would be a shame to miss nice photos, especially from an area under-represented. One way or another I will click and view your future photos :)

·
Architect
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You ain't seen nothing yet. I might set out on Masters week to the Lamar Building.
On this one week in the year, the 18th floor balcony is open to public.
Here is the only photo I could find on the internet from up there . . .

Though I may be in Atlanta all of next week, I will still have photos to share anyways.

·
Architect
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE: Sorry guys, I'll be away from town spring break. I'm going down to South Georgia. However, I can pretty much promise you some pictures of Brunswick, Savannah, maybe Jacksonville, the Okeefenokee, and Douglas/Waycross. I still might go to the Lamar Building, though it seems it might rain a lot next week.

We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
26 Posts
actually, augusta city (richmond county) is pretty stagnant if not loosing population to columbia county. current estimates put augusta at 197,000, but the metro at 515,000. columbia and aiken counties are growing at very large rates while richmond county needs a little jump start.

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
I know what this has been taken with:

Image input equipment: OLYMPUS OPTICAL CO.,LTD
Image input equipment model: C700UZ
File change date and time: 2005:03:26 11:53:42
Image Description: OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Software: v357-77

I'm so psychic :laugh: ;)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.