Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Personally Id like to hear about what conservation efforts are like in other countries and cities. And it could be a place to vent, if a building from your area is being demolished that you like to discuss.

I dont have a huge number of examples from my local area, and when it does on occassion occur generally its very justified and replaced by something high quality

This chapel was demolished last year as it was on the grounds of a site for development of the new national childrens hospital, a desperately needed piece of infrastructure. Its actually a very small building, even though it doesnt look it in the photo, but I think it could have been relocated and not demolished given how small it was.

Demolition permit recently granted to dublins best known example of brutalist architecture, Fitzwilton house.

These rather nice little 200 year old cottages were demolished to make way for a new nursing home.

Belfast is a different story though, suffered horrible 60's planning that resulted in the demolition of most of what was once an extremely beautiful victorian city and the luftwaffe and IRA had a hand in its demise too

Recently demolished, when they could have been nicely restored

The above demolitions ^ were badly done and resulted in damage to the grade 1 listed art deco bank next door to it.

Orpheus recently demolished with little justification. Pretty sad

Metropole recently demolished.

A number of other rather run down heritage buildings are in danger of demolition as a large development is planned in the main tourist area, cathedral quarter

Theres more examples from belfast but I dont want the OP to be too long.
I think its crazy how different the dublin and belfast city councils act towards their heritage given how close the citys are to one another, every single one of the buildings listed above from belfast would have been protected and restored by dublin city council and or local people

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Of course not. Theres only a handful of countries in the world where heritage conservation is a widespread and ingrained part of their culture,mostly confined to europe, maybe france italy and netherlands, and a few other select regions and cities which are widely known for having beautiful historical cities like prague and budapest and vienna, and for example london and edinburgh have significantly better conservation efforts than any other large cities in england or the UK

As for most developing countries, I find it hard to even start to learn about the situations there, as just from a few glimpses in I know Ill be very disappointed, china seems to be actively demolishing vast swathes of old buildings in some sort of effort to mimick other ugly plastic megacities, never mind heritage conservation

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another cross rail victim in london :eek:hno:
Londons flatiron has been demolished, it was being considered to make it a listed building but wasnt deemed worthy. And was demolished.

Replaced by this.

I think the original building could have made for a very interesting train station entrance.
Well at least the modern building is quite nice.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
London fruit and wool exchange 2018

The Gun pub was at the corner of the complex, had a well preserved period interior, demolished

Replaced by

A second nice historic building on the other corner was also demolished, located by the church, you can see in the picture below
The central facade of the fruit and wool exchnage was preserved

Massive numbers of objections from locals against the destruction. Overruled by Boris Johnson.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Soho, 2017
These 3 buildings were demolished

Replaced by this

Though the developer did include this cute little laneway as part of the development

And restored two listed buildings on greek street at the back of the development. So not all bad. Greek street is the road you can see ahead under the passgeway, with the blue door ahead

But it is sad to see this extremely recent trend in London of disregard for heritage(relative to london, obviously its good standard in world terms) but its clearly spurred on by the ferocious growth of american and asian megacities who grow with no regard for heritage what so ever. And its hard for london to compete with that with so many listed buildings and conservation districts impeding on this growth.

·
29,809 Posts
One from my city, currently being demolished :eek:hno::eek:hno:
Used to be a grain warehouse. At least I took few photos few months ago before this demolition.

Today by forum user Semper Fidelis

Such a loss, one of the best examples of early industrial architecture in the city.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pity! It was a very nice building. Im always impressed by the brickwork and ornamentation of old industrial buildings, why did they put so much work into a functional workhouse..I dont know..but I definitely appreciate it!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All of these examples are rather shocking. Hard to imagine that this still happens.
I very naively thought heritage destruction was a rather rare event in modern times until I started doing some digging, thought it was very much a pre 90's type of crazy happening. But unfortunately the worlds heritage is still very much in danger, in nearly every country and city on earth.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

140 year old pub in liverpool to be demolished for new road route. It has been put under complulsory purchase by the city council in September 2017, but locals are trying to save it, and are pursuing legal action.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Some good news..
December 2016, 303 heritage properties in toronto were blocked from demolition. nice to hear but cant say I care that much personally. Toronto has lost so so much that it hardly matters anymore, the fact that over 300 heritage buildings had demolition permits at that exact moment in time when the new by-law was created says it all about how little regard there is for it

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...ion-on-303-buildings-in-downtown-toronto.html

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One of St. Louis' oldest churches demolished 2016.

Apparently no money available to restore it. And not enough followers to keep it open. Sadly this will happen more and more to churhces as christianity declines at such a fast pace
Sparked preservation debate within the city and particularly amongst the local irish catholic community.
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_b5ea0b24-94d1-5426-ad13-6269a0e9e0e6.html

1 - 20 of 121 Posts