SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
antiVittaria antiGranito
4,355 Posts
That's interesting. The northeatsern region (where recife is located) is the poorest in Brazil, but the buildings built in recife and Fortaleza make the ones from São Paulo (the richest state) look like crapholes.

·
Registered
8,874 Posts
It must be your eyes, honey! Cities like Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, Salvador and Brasilia, for example, could never look more different.

Rio is a fantastic city in the most exotic and beautiful natural setting on Earth, with all kinds of architecture and districts scattered among rocks, mountains and the sea.

Sao Paulo is that dense mass of builidngs in a very chaotic, incredibly dense (yet powerful and massive) disposition.

Brasilia is anything but dense, a very spacious city, with lots of empty spaces, and a modernist urban design.

Salvador is the birthplace of the Brazilian african culture, with XVI and XVII historic builidngs and fantastic churches and old districts.

You must be mistaking the cities with some American cities that look all alike. Just take pictures of downtown Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, Charlotte, Denver or Pittsburg. You could never tell which is which, some glass skyscrapers in downton surrounded by residential suburbs.

·
Taking On The World
26,388 Posts
legal said:
It must be your eyes, honey! Cities like Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, Salvador and Brasilia, for example, could never look more different.

Rio is a fantastic city in the most exotic and beautiful natural setting on Earth, with all kinds of architecture and districts scattered among rocks, mountains and the sea.

Sao Paulo is that dense mass of builidngs in a very chaotic, incredibly dense (yet powerful and massive) disposition.

Brasilia is anything but dense, a very spacious city, with lots of empty spaces, and a modernist urban design.

Salvador is the birthplace of the Brazilian african culture, with XVI and XVII historic builidngs and fantastic churches and old districts.

You must be mistaking the cities with some American cities that look all alike. Just take pictures of downtown Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, Charlotte, Denver or Pittsburg. You could never tell which is which, some glass skyscrapers in downton surrounded by residential suburbs.

:applause:

hard to mistake Porto Alegre also. Or Blumenau. Or Belo Horizonte!

·
Registered
232 Posts
legal said:
Don't say that all American cities are the same. They clearly appear different.
Just look at these:
Pittsburgh (note the idyllic setting by two rivers)

Denver (note the mountains on the background)

Houston

NYC

San Francisco

Boston

·
Registered
132 Posts
Okay that was unnecessary... he was just saying, it's an untrained (American) eye that things they all look the same. Some people would say all European cities look the same too... they'd be wrong, I can see it being said. No two cities look alike - period. Do Brazilian cities have similarities? Sure... Could you make an argument that all American cities look the same? Sure... come on, the Wal-mart architectural catalogue isn't terribly diverse.

I might add though, we've added a few buildings that would make that particular Denver shot even nicer :)

Back on point - Recife is a gorgeous city... Good stuff. Reminds me, oddly enough, of Durban and Melbourne. Maybe it's the fear of sharks or something :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Durban wishes to have a skyline like Recife's. :) And if Recife were to be compared to any Australian city, I'd go with Gold Coast like similar linear skyline along the beach and similar climates too. BTW, I had no idea that NE Brazil is the country's poorest region. Certainly well diguised through Recife's skyline! :)

·
Taking On The World
26,388 Posts
ronald said:
Don't say that all American cities are the same. They clearly appear different.
Just look at these:
Pittsburgh (note the idyllic setting by two rivers)

Denver (note the mountains on the background)

Houston

NYC

San Francisco

Boston

then dont say all brazilian cities look the same. Brazilian cities share a peculiar brazilian style. But american cities also share a peculiar american style. American cities are as similar among themselves as brazilian cities among themselves!

·
Registered
232 Posts
AcesHigh said:
then dont say all brazilian cities look the same.
I never said all brazilian cities look the same. It's stupid to say that all cities in any country are the same, that's why I posted pics of different US cities, to show that they aren't all the same!

American cities are as similar among themselves as brazilian cities among themselves!
You got a point here, as both types of cities share similar characteristics, like wallmarts and freeways in the US and highrises in Brazil. Still, not even two identical cities in the world exist.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
What I meant by asking why all Brazilian cities look the same is because the majority of them seem to have blossomed in the 80s and they all have similar achitecture representative of that time. The builidings are beautiful, no doubt about it, but a bit too repetative.

As far as the set up is concerned, yes, Rio is very different than Sao Paolo, and Sao Paolo is very different than Vitoria.

Brazilia is a whole separate story! I would not compare it to any other Brazilian city.

My brother-in-law is Brazilian and Brazil is on my list to visit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts