SkyscraperCity banner

6721 - 6740 of 6757 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think those building on the south side of the Altmarkt are fairly recent constructions so I don't see them being replaced anytime soon if ever even though they are mediocre at best. The buildings on the northern side of Wilsdruffer Strasse could be replaced but as the Kulturpalast is (unfortunately) going to stay there I'm not sure if any reconstructions would even be considered seriously. Most likely they would be replaced with some kind of modernistic buildings like those new ones around the Kulturpalast which aren't that great either and I'm not sure if that would make Wildsdruffer Strasse any better. But I would be nice to see at least the breakthough of Moritzgasse from Neumarkt in connection with the reconstruction of Hotel Stadt Rom but I'm not sure what the current plans are.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I really don't understand why some of the buildings were built in modern styles.
I suspect a lot of architecture that defies its surroundings, that is jarring and awkward, is designed to be like that so that they stand out. And that is all to do with the architects ego - they want to be noticed. Being modest and reserved by making a building that is in keeping with its surroundings, that doesn't draw attention to itself, does not do much for the architects egotism. (Not all of them are like this, just a thought about what some might be like.)

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
I guess part of the reconstruction is just to recreate the actual streets and urban texture so that individual buildings can be replaced or improved later. If everything had to be completely accurate and top quality the project would take forever and the whole would suffer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In some cases there are more "legitimate" reasons for modern architecture in Neumarkt. The street layout has changed permanently due to the unfortunate location ot the Kulturpalast there aren't any facades that could be reconstructed for example on Rosmaringasse because the street wasn't there before 1945. The same applies to those blocks closer to Wilsdruffer strasse. Some modern designs are more suitable for the area than others though. For example the strange gray building next to a pink reconstructed one in the corner of Jüdenhof and Rosmaringasse is really an eyesore.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I agree that most of the modern buildings in Dresden's Neumarkt are not architectural gems by a long shot. Perhaps the hope was to make the city look like it might have looked had it not been destroyed with some old and some new.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We continue with the "Eck-Paradesaal". This room is also not finished jet;
(That is how up to date we are here in this thread!)

It may not seem much - but to remake the original materials in the original manufacturing ways and with original materials - it was difficult at least. The columns seen here on both sides of the door are brand new from Spain. The only place in Europe that does the silk paper the original baroque way. Most parts are made in Saxon:

The building techniques used are original 1720`s!

The remaking of the rooms and the renovation of the rescued furniture and collections is a huge job machine. One gentleman was busy for four years to make wooden horses the original size. The horses (Not shown here) are used in a different part of the complex to present saddle and weapons and so on. This wall paper here is the one from Madrid I mentioned. It is handmade with real gold and silver in it. The small company had the jack pot getting the big contract from Dresden. They are working on that contract now for many years and are still not finished:

Pictures from Elli Kny!
I've been following this thread for several years although I never posted anything since there was no contribution I could make to macht the wonderful pictures and information you have been posting. However, I want to comment a bit about the two silk columns that were made in hometown, Madrid, Spain.

Both columns have been woven in the Royal Tapestry Factory in Madrid, which was founded in 1720 (this year is its 300th anniversary). They have woven tapestries based on designs by Goya, Mengs, Tiepolo, Picasso or Dali during its long history, and today it is almost the only such institution in the world.

32 tapestries have been ordered for the Residenzschloss for about 1,2 million euros, which is the largest volume order received in 200 years!!! It is specially important for the Royal Factory, which in 2015 was about to declare bankruptcy, so they can take on new apprentices to keep the tradition alive.

I hope you found this interesting but I was so surprised and pleased to find out the Royal Factory is involved in the project that I had to share this bit of information in exchange for your fantastic contributions!

Regards from Spain

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Thank You Maglor! I was aware of the Royal Factory`s involvement right here in Dresden. The Spanish Experts not only made their country proud, but also helped Germany's Dresden get back on its feet! The rebuilding of Dresden has created thousands of jobs across Europe.

Thank you for pointing out the Spanish connection. I had planned to do so, but since it takes hours to make real good picture filled posts with good solid stories, I am flat out of time. I even don't have time to read most comments anymore. It is a shame. I hope, I will get eventually more time to spread some magic here and to make people happy!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
And while the outside light fixtures are made right here in Saxony, some interior lights will be made in Vienna:
Bakalowits Licht Design in Wien got the 150 000 E contract.

Next to several large luster there will be four small ones as well:

Two more detail pictures:

Also can not resist to show more pictures:
Pieces like this original furniture! This cabinet is from the 1720`s. It will be restored next:

I don't know why they restore it. But I am not an expert:

Thank you BautzenFan!

This style cabinet is called Bureau Mazarin. Named after the French Chancellor Cardinal Mazarin ( office 1642 - 1661) Both cabinets will be restored in the Dresden area.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I didn't see it here yet: the Narrenhäusel will be rebuilt in it's original baroque form, not the picture we've seen here before:

But in this style:

Source: Plötzlich entschieden: So wird das neue Narrenhäusel aussehen!

On the one hand, Dresden is full of baroque buildings already and I quite liked the 'different' style. But I saw on Wikipedia that the look of the first picture was only the result of modifications from the 1930s, so I understand the logic.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I didn't see it here yet: the Narrenhäusel will be rebuilt in it's original baroque form, not the picture we've seen here before:

But in this style:

View attachment 129633

Source: Plötzlich entschieden: So wird das neue Narrenhäusel aussehen!

On the one hand, Dresden is full of baroque buildings already and I quite liked the 'different' style. But I saw on Wikipedia that the look of the first picture was only the result of modifications from the 1930s, so I understand the logic.
I actually like this more than the one with the modifications from the 1930s.
Hopefully the city will also rebuild the buildings along this side of the Elbe, either as reconstructions or in a fitting Berlin-style type of architecture or a mix of both.

By the way, is there any news on the possibility of reconstructing the Neustädter Rathaus?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Apparently the Narrenhäusel lost it's baroque appearance already in the early 19th century so the pre-war appearance is not from the 1930s remodelling when it was made to a restaurant:

I'm not sure which one I would prefer because I like both of them.

·
Registered
359 Posts
By the way, is there any news on the possibility of reconstructing the Neustädter Rathaus?
The reason that always seems to be given for my this specific area can't be reconstructed is that the road is too wide now I think?

Honestly though I don't see why the roads couldn't be narrowed? This is happening all over Europe these days as cities move away from accomodating for cars, especially in the inner city.

Likewise I don't see why the Wilsdruffer straße couldn't be narrowed? It bi-sects Dresden's inner-city in a really uncomfortable way, and I feel it'll probably be pedestrianised eventually anyway. This could allow for me reconstructions in that area, though I don't find these particularly likely anymore anyway (if they're not already, the DDR buildings along this stretch will probably be given monument protection eventually, unfortunately).

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
The post war modernist structures (won't even give them the courtesy of calling them 'buildings') that now stand in the area where the Neustadter Rathaus stood have recently been repaired, and in some views, renovated. So having sunk a ton of money into this rat hole makes it further unlikely that any demolition will take place any time soon.

6721 - 6740 of 6757 Posts