Skyscraper City Forum banner
1661 - 1680 of 7099 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks to Kampflamm I think I've worked out exactly what's being rebuilt right now from this:

This photo shows Nos. 23 and 25, pre-war. This corresponds to the first two buildings on the plan shown above.

The next building along features a projecting window that extends out over the road. You can see it here in this pre-war photo, on the far left:

And you can see the beginning of the projection being built into the current reconstruction here:

Here's the bombed-out facade of No.33, the last house on the street.

The end of the street should look something like this, once it's finished:

http://www.neumarkt-dresden.de/ramp23-33.html

:yes:

Cannot wait for it to continue. I don't know what it is about these townhouses but they are really so lovely.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Yup, the 4 buildings on the left are being reconstructed right now:

:drool: That is so nice. Regarding the trade off discussion with the modern building I think it is a fair trade off and I even think the building serves a purpose since it points out that this is not Disney world or another museum but a city that grows and allows different styles.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
What are the dates when the former buildings--Nos 23-33 Rampische Str--were built?

Also, the long views we are seeing of the new construction along Rampische Str will soon be impossible; these structures will be viewed from up close or at a long side-angle since Quartier III, right across the street, will close them in, if and when QIII plans continue. As such, character/ambience of the former look and feel will only be enhanced.

·
objectificreate
17 Posts
The baroque facades do look good and the reconstruction of the church is stunning. As for contemporary designs being included I think they add texture to the fabric of the project. One thing is missing from this thread; are the floor plans/plates available?
In London there are a lot of, stealth projects where the original facade is kept in tact and behind that all is modern. The question is does this approach cheapen the interior of the building? It would be interesting to see what's been happening within the envelope of this project.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Does anyone have a prewar picture of Rampische Strasse 21? That is the one that is modern today, correct? I'm curious to see if it was a Baroque gem or unremarkable. If the latter is the case, I don't mind the modern as much.

from the neumarkt-dresden website ( http://www.neumarkt-dresden.de/ramp9-21-salzgasse.html ) here is what 19-21 looked like in former times:

#19 is in the middle and #21 is on the right, the lighter color building. It does appear as if #21 is somewhat unremarkable, but #19 seems to have many gem-quality elements.

·
Registered
46 Posts
from the neumarkt-dresden website ( http://www.neumarkt-dresden.de/ramp9-21-salzgasse.html ) here is what 19-21 looked like in former times:

#19 is in the middle and #21 is on the right, the lighter color building. It does appear as if #21 is somewhat unremarkable, but #19 seems to have many gem-quality elements.
Thanks for posting this pic. Honestly, this makes me a lot more comfortable with the modern reconstructions. While I personally would have preferred everything to be rebuilt exactly the way it was before the war, at least (in this instance) the buildings that aren't being reconstructed don't seem like they are architecturally significant. I'd much rather have 21 be modern and 19 a reconstruction than vice versa. Is this the way it's being done throughout the Neumarkt, or are some architecturally significant buildings not being reconstructed in favor of modern designs?

·
Bonsoir l'Europe!
765 Posts
What are they fixing at Hauptbahnhof? There's no thread and the Dresden forum is sleeping..

·
LIBERTINED
45,426 Posts
Ah, ok. That is Quartier III-2.

Except for one major reconstruction (Palais Hoym, in orange) there's nothing really certain, as far as I know.

Check the German site of GHND for more information & illustrations: http://www.neumarkt-dresden.de/quartier3-2.html
(Google translated version)

That's Palais Hoym that will be build there:

Source

Renderings of the baroque Palais Hoym, by Arte4D (Andreas Hummel / GHND):

The wing of the palais with the festival room for concerts

Source

Backside of Palais Hoym at Rampische Strasse, view towards Neumarkt (Johanneum in the back)

Source

The courtyard with a garden and the summer pavilion

Source

1661 - 1680 of 7099 Posts