1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
I checked it on Google maps and there's still a checkerboarded pattern of redevelopment but much more than I expected. It's a tough, resilient neigborhood that will hopefully never experience anything like Katrina ever again. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked it on Google maps and there's still a checkerboarded pattern of redevelopment but much more than I expected. It's a tough, resilient neigborhood that will hopefully never experience anything like Katrina ever again. :cheers:
Have they updated Google Maps? What address did you look up? With my address, it's before our house was painted and that was in 2008? I did drive by a Google truck, with the camera on top, two weeks ago in the Warehouse District and thought they may have been updating....

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
I watched a cool episode on I believe the Science channel or something.....anyways, the show was going over how New Orleans was rebuilding homes to last for a very long time, and could withstand sustained winds that were of a crazy speed. They looked very, very cool. I hope the fruition of these efforts pay off, and the positive growth continues.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I can tell you my parents live in St. Bernard Parish and had 5 feet on floor 2 of their home with the storm. They bulldozed, raised their lot 5 feet and rebuilt a hurricane proof house....unbelievable architecture. It took almost a year to build their home...4 feet of construction between floor 1 and floor 2...and wild architecture in the attic...when it was under construction, I kept driving over there just to see how they were doing it....that house won't even budge under 200 mph winds. Really cool to see built.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
It looks like a number of rebuilt homes on Tennessee and Deslonde Streets are using that design. It is also interesting that a number of them have solar panels on the roofs. Not sure if they are solar water heaters or are photovoltaic.

So your parent's new house is built 5' off the ground on stilts or did they add some dirt beneath it? After Galveston got hit in 1900, the literally jacked up the entire city 17' before rebuilding the city.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They added dirt and their front yard just rises like a little hill to the front entrance. They are hurricane proof and very insulated, but, no solar. Just very sturdy with much reinforcing architecture and just one window facing South...most windows face Northeast and North, with the front of the house facing West. It looks like a normal house, not the modern designs of the Lower Ninth with Brad Pitt, but, it's just tall, reinforced, and sturdy. With the added five feet of dirt and the height of the house, they do now have a beautiful view of Downtown New Orleans from the second floor, which is about 8 miles away.

·
Registered User.
2,249 Posts
Well, I can tell you my parents live in St. Bernard Parish and had 5 feet on floor 2 of their home with the storm. They bulldozed, raised their lot 5 feet and rebuilt a hurricane proof house....unbelievable architecture. It took almost a year to build their home...4 feet of construction between floor 1 and floor 2...and wild architecture in the attic...when it was under construction, I kept driving over there just to see how they were doing it....that house won't even budge under 200 mph winds. Really cool to see built.
That is really cool to hear.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Judging from the weak population numbers posted for Houstan in the 2010 census, I'd say the Katrina refugeees have pretty much left Houston.
Nope, this statement is not true.

New Orleans evacuees especially the ones form the poverty areas of New Orleans: 9th ward, Holy Cross, projects, public housing complexes, etc.. are still in Houston and are there to stay. I would guess that 90% of the lower class citizens will never go back. They have nothing in New Orleans and are staying in Houston.

Oh, FYI: a refugee is defined as a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster.

New Orleans is very different from other cities but it is still part of the USA. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Nope, this statement is not true.

New Orleans evacuees especially the ones form the poverty areas of New Orleans: 9th ward, Holy Cross, projects, public housing complexes, etc.. are still in Houston and are there to stay. I would guess that 90% of the lower class citizens will never go back. They have nothing in New Orleans and are staying in Houston.

Oh, FYI: a refugee is defined as a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster.

New Orleans is very different from other cities but it is still part of the USA. :)
Working for Uhual while I lived in Houston, I sent a lot of people back to New Orleans and met even more from New Orleans. There's still alot living there, which are pretty much there to stay, but people are in fact moving back still.

·
Banned
53 Posts
It's nice to see the flood ravaged areas of the NO are making progress in the recovery..especially considering for for years seemed like nothing had changed since Katrina....it's also a relief that Isaac didn't setback what's been rebuilt so far that much...My next door neighbor and a several people I ran across in my area are actually Katrina evacuees...I'm not really sure on their intentions on setteling roots here,moving back, or elsewhere but outside of the hurricane threats and crime as somone whom visited the NO(pre Katrina) and has been a life long resident of my dull city I can't understand other than the obvious traumatric experiences they would choose to stay here as opposed to going back home...then again I guess it would be understandble with what they been though.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We did fine with Isaac...a very small amount didn't do to well and that is sad, but, I just finished cleaning my front yard, have power, and am sitting here watching college football on cable...all good here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts