Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Mr. Haney(Cruz) for Pres.
2,644 Posts
Faster growing than Lethbridge, I believe. It will become it's own CMA in a couple years.

It will be much longer than that.... I believe StatsCan requires a minimum pop. of 150,000 before an area gets counted as a CMA.

·
Salad Days Are Here
3,649 Posts
Red Deer has the same demographic age wise as Edmonton. Most industry there is fueled by agriculture and by the oil refineries at Joffre. There is also a burgeoning industrial expansion there as many fabrication shops have opened there.

Edit - I should also mention the water issues at Red Deer. The Red Deer River is about as large as Calgary's Bow River, however Red Deer does not have any reservoirs made out of old quarries nearby. Calgary is already feeling the pinch so industrial expansion has been limited and has been moving north towards Edmonton. That is one of the large reasons Calgary has focused so much on building highrises is to the fact that highrises consume less water than industrial sites. North Saskatchewan sees about 10 times more water than the Bow or Red Deer Rivers, while Edmonton also has Sturgeon River and a few lakes to take advantage of.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The 2006 Census got 82,772 for the pop. with a 22% increase from 2001. At that rate it'll be at 100,981 (and it's own CMA:eek: ) by 2011 but I would count on the growth slowing down to maybe 10-15%.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts