SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered Yooser
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the most shortsighted projects in History is about to get an upgrade...

Premier & Trade
The Hon. Peter Beattie MP

20 April 2005

State Govt Announces Houghton Highway Bridge Duplication

The State Government will build a new bridge to the Redcliffe Peninsula duplicating the Houghton Highway, Premier Peter Beattie, Transport Minister Paul Lucas and the Member for Redcliffe, Ray Hollis, announced today.

Mr Beattie said detailed design would begin this week on the new 2.7 kilometre $149 million bridge, which will join the Houghton Highway as the equal longest bridge over water in Australia.

The new three-lane bridge, to be built between the existing Hornibrook and Houghton Highway bridges, is scheduled for completion by Christmas 2009.

Construction is to start in late 2007. The project will create around 200 jobs.

Mr Beattie today paid tribute to the efforts of the Member for Redcliffe, Ray Hollis, in getting this new bridge built.

"Unfortunately, Ray Hollis is ill and cannot attend the launch of this project, but everyone in the Redcliffe area will know about Ray's tireless work in getting the Houghton Highway duplicated," he said.

Mr Beattie said a consultant's report received earlier this year recommended that, based on traffic figures, a new bridge would be needed in five to 10 years.

"The good news is we are going with the earlier timeline - this bridge will be delivered sooner rather than later," Mr Beattie said.

"The growing area of Redcliffe will get the infrastructure it needs.

"This new bridge will improve safety and reduce traffic congestion.

"This bridge, spanning the sparkling waters of Moreton Bay, will again make the drive to the Redcliffe Peninsula one of most scenic and enjoyable in Australia.

"We have a lot of work to do with this project so I am pleased to see that planning is starting immediately."

Mr Beattie said the new bridge would have a combined pedestrian/cycleway.

"We are also examining converting one lane on both the Houghton Highway and the new bridge to a transit lane or a bus lane to boost public transport," he said.

Mr Lucas said $5 million had been committed for planning and detailed design for the new bridge in Main Roads' 2004-05 Arterial Roads Infrastructure Package.

"Detailed design should be completed in 2006, tenders should be called in early 2007 and the bridge completed by Christmas 2009," he said.

"The new bridge will be similar in construction to the Houghton Highway, with long concrete piles driven into the bedrock below Moreton Bay.

"Like the Houghton Highway, it will have 99 pre-stressed concrete spans between the piles; however, the road surface will be smoother than the Houghton Highway because there will be fewer joints."

Mr Lucas has assured local residents they would have ample opportunity to have their say on the new bridge during the public consultation.

Hornibrook Bridge:

Mr Lucas said Main Roads would continue to ensure the Hornibrook Bridge was in a fit condition for pedestrians and cyclists until the new bridge was built.

However, he said Main Roads was then recommending the removal of the old bridge, except for approximately 300 metres on the northern end which would be refurbished using timber salvaged from the rest of the bridge.

"This section of the old bridge can then continue to be used as a local community facility for fishing and other recreational activities," Mr Lucas said.

He said the long term cost of maintaining the Hornibrook Bridge was $8.5 million for the next 10 years and $22 million for the next 30 years just to provide pedestrian and cycle access.

"The Hornibrook Bridge also is built using hardwood which is increasing difficult to obtain for repairs," he said.

"It is a far better economic and public transport solution to spend the $8.5-$22 million to provide cycle and pedestrian access on a new reinforced concrete bridge that will last for hundreds of years.

"Finally, from a safety point of view, it would be necessary to keep the Hornibrook Bridge able to take emergency and rescue vehicles. In contrast, the new bridge would allow very quick access to any injured pedestrians and cyclists in an emergency."

Main Roads will do load testing on the Hornibrook Bridge in the near future to determine the amount of maintenance needed to keep it serviceable until the Houghton Highway is duplicated.

20 April 2005

Now, after promising it countless times...I don't see why they opted for road instead of Rail. A rail line would cater for the ever-growing Mango hill area which is, lets face it, is just making traffic worse. It would also set a precendent for a faster North-coast line upgrade meaning better frequency. There is already a corridor and land has already been resumed for a rail link and most of the required investigation and planning has been done. I think 4 lanes(with emergency shoulder, and erradication of that stupid tidal flow system) & a rail line would have sufficed.

·
Insert text here:
1,228 Posts
sounds like a plan... Funny though why they made the first bridge only 3 lanes to begin with, And that they put a diffrent signal system in to change from 1 lane to 2 or vice versa depending on which way has a more load of traffic.

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,560 Posts
nikko, you cant fit 4 lanes on the existing bridge. its 3 lanes then barriers. no shoulders at all! you love the trains dont you. yes the line needs to be built but so does the bridge. youll never get everyone on a train. never! the bridge would still be over capacity even with a train because the station would be at kippa ring. thats a long way from everything else at redcliffe. the bridge is more direct and more convienient. besides, everyone can get buses!

·
Captain Awesome
738 Posts
The excuse for not building building the Kippa-Ring line was no private investment of funds. Why didn't Lend Lease invest in the railway? North Lakes and new developments at Mango Hill would have benefited, not just Redcliffe.

·
Registered Yooser
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maroon Grown said:
nikko, you cant fit 4 lanes on the existing bridge. its 3 lanes then barriers. no shoulders at all! you love the trains dont you. yes the line needs to be built but so does the bridge. youll never get everyone on a train. never! the bridge would still be over capacity even with a train because the station would be at kippa ring. thats a long way from everything else at redcliffe. the bridge is more direct and more convienient. besides, everyone can get buses!
1) Trains are an effective alternative. Of course not everyone is going to use them but it will take a substantial amount of trafic from Houghton highway users, I mean look at the Gold Coast line. And by putting the line through Mango hill, we'd be killing two birds with one stone.

2) Yes, I do like trains. But thats not the point, I know there's no shoulders, what I'm saying is instead of demolishing the whole ensamble(including the original one), and building a six-lane monolith, why not just build one new lane over as an extension to the bridge, then remove tidal flow.

3)Yes people can get busses, but they'll be stuck in traffic. Plus they are nowhere near as effective as one trainload of people.

4) I'm not necessarily trying to say 'Get on the train or goto hell' I'm just questioning why a fundamental means of transport that has been on the table for a countless number of years, with land already resumed for it and studies into it completed has been shelved to make way for a completely new project that will cost considerably more to build and maintain.

·
Captain Awesome
738 Posts
The bridge wouldn't be structurally sound enough to tack on an extra lane.

·
Yeah but No!!
1,503 Posts
Yeah but Nikko, they are not demolishing the existing Houghton Hwy bridge, they are demolishing the old Hornibrook Bridge, so they are doing exactly what you have said minus the rail line which would be fantastic if we could get that too. We should be happy that they are looking into a transit lane.

Dont get me wrong, I would like there to be a train line out there too but I dont think it is yet economically viable.

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,560 Posts
the proposed rail through mango hill is a fair drive from most ppl that live in north lakes. prolly 5-10 mins from the back of the development. it would also have to run express coz its a long way from the city.

·
Registered Yooser
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maroon Grown said:
the proposed rail through mango hill is a fair drive from most ppl that live in north lakes. prolly 5-10 mins from the back of the development. it would also have to run express coz its a long way from the city.
Well...they do have all stop caboolture service.

If it were to run express, it would most probably run express between Petrie and Northgate.

·
Registered Yooser
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ABS said:
The bridge wouldn't be structurally sound enough to tack on an extra lane.
But it would to tack on an extra three?

By a one-lane extension I mean widening the bridge and supports to accomodate a new lane.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
nikko said:
But it would to tack on an extra three?

By a one-lane extension I mean widening the bridge and supports to accomodate a new lane.
They're not adding on 3 extra lanes. They're doing this the same way as the Gateway upgrade. Building an twin bridge next to it.

I think 6 lanes, with 2 as T2 lanes is good. I think that's what's necessary for Redcliffe.

And yes, the rail line would be fantastic to get too.

·
©
9,470 Posts
When ABS said something about it not being structurally sound enough to tack on another lane, he may have thought you meant something like they did to the Auckland Harbour Bridge when they tacked on extra lanes?
It's all trivial anyway i guess! :)

·
Registered Yooser
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wezza said:
When ABS said something about it not being structurally sound enough to tack on another lane, he may have thought you meant something like they did to the Auckland Harbour Bridge when they tacked on extra lanes?
It's all trivial anyway i guess! :)
For arguments sake, I'll just assume he did.

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
The train line should be the first priority. Once it's in place people will start to use it and see the benifits.

I was in Redcliffe recently visiting a mate, his Dad has been in Redcliffe for years, and also involved in the ALP, and he told me that the original plan was for the older Hornibrook bridge to stay operational and to add lanes, the new bridge wasn't a replacement, but an add on to the existing bridge. But shortly after the new one was built, the old one was turned into the present pedestrian/fishing bridge.

·
Registered
640 Posts
How about a re-think of the proposed rail route. As marked in the UBD it goes west from Kippa-Ring, through Mango Hill before joining the already packed Caboolture line at Petrie. Basically going right around the hat.

Would be better if it went south, roughly following Elizabeth Ave, then a new rail bridge over the water. Follow alongside the Deagon Deviation and join the Shorncliffe line at North Boondall station. On the map it looks half an hour quicker that way.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
^Yes, that would be a much better way of doing it, except the government would never go for it unfortunately because that would be far more expensive due to the extra bridge, land resumptions ect.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts