SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
I caught a falling star
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1. Liverpool Museum- Used to be a museum. Now, according to some, it's an infotainment venture.

2. Bluecoat Chambers- Used to be a quirky, boho haven with a caf attached. Now, according to some, it's a restaurant with a gallery attached.

3. Sefton Park Palm House- Used to be a palm house. Now, according to some, it's primarily an events venue.

4. Central Libraries Liverpool- Used to be a library. What's going to happen to this place???

Refurb madness? Taking the Liverpool out of Liverpool?

·
Liverpool
927 Posts
1. Liverpool Museum- Used to be a museum. Now, according to some, it's an infotainment venture.
I couldn't disagree more, it's an excellent place for youngsters, there's plenty of activities/events on for them, all with education in mind, there are still the old style exhibits but they have some modern one's on as well, it's a brilliant place and my little lad loves the aquarium, he's a bit young for the planetarium but he'll be going soon. :)

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
I couldn't disagree more, it's an excellent place for youngsters, there's plenty of activities/events on for them, all with education in mind, there are still the old style exhibits but they have some modern one's on as well, it's a brilliant place and my little lad loves the aquarium, he's a bit young for the planetarium but he'll be going soon. :)
...agreed, I took my son recently and we love it. If anything Liverpool is experiencing a revitalisation of it's cultural offerings.

This type of 'knocking copy' is bollocks frankly.

·
Banned
15,521 Posts
I see where Villibum is coming from. The (urk) World Museum's new galleries may be appreciated by infants, that's the point he is making. Myself, I loved the older, mysterious and, I thought, magical galleries when I was small. Strange child, mind.

·
Fiat Lux
7,596 Posts
I think there is an issue about keeping the "Liverpool" in Liverpool - we would probably all define it differently. IMO it comes under threat when people attempt to impose a glib, modernist mindset with little awareness of local sensibilities and history. This isn't to say that Liverpool doesn't need to change. It does and it is changing anyway.

I think the worse culprits are NML. IMO they see themselves as bringing the best of international practise to Liverpool but the result, so far, has been a dumbing down. They also present a version of Liverpool's history that many of us don't recognise. It can seem at times (in particular the biased way in which the IMS deals with slavery) that their mission is to reflect the standard UK view of the city, and not provide an informed overview. I find this patronising in the extreme.

The Bluecoat, despite my reservations, is becoming more coherent. It's no longer a place of refuge for boho types and that is a loss but 'boho' types will just have to find somewhere else - somewhere else will gain. Its programme (pre fire) was excellent. The opening exhibition was mediocre but the one that was due to start last week (Variable Capital) promised a return to form.

Sefton Park Palm House is still a palm house and it looks great. Events are now held there but ten years ago it was smashed to **** with a fence round it, so there's been a total gain there. Sefton Park itself is now suffering a refurb and concerns are being expressed about the number of mature trees that are coming down and the impact this has on familiar vistas. Needless to say a highlight of the refurbished park will be its café!

Central Library is a gem - it's just being modernised. Hopefully it won't change its appearance too much where it matters.

The underlying problem is one of a citythat has been too poor to properly maintain itself. Many of our assets are owned by non-Liverpudlians, and often the management teams of many of our cultural assets are non-Liverpudlian so there is understandably a watering down of local sensibilities - at least in the short term. In the past people ended up going native so the cultural mix that is 'Liverpool' was maintained. Now people move from one city to another, setting up management systems as they go. These people do not get absorbed into the Liverpool cultural mix but they may initiate processes that will over time undermine whatever it is that we have created here. On the other hand they could just as likely make things better. We need to get out of the inertia we collapsed into. It's too close to call.

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
I loved the totem poles. Last time I went that gallery was shut.

Bring back the totems.

I understand Villiers concern while accepting the modernising of the offer and titling it to attract a younger and maybe new audience.

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
Times change, we live in a faster more consumable society and need our information delivering faster and more directly... and in bite sized chunks. It's not a bad thing, it's just different.

·
I caught a falling star
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This thread came to mind through comments I've read on other sites and from people I know who are occasionally involved in some of these organisations- "word on the street" stuff I suppose.

It isn't a statement of what I feel particularly, after all I haven't been to either the museum or the Bluecoat since the makeovers.

I do feel though, very disappointed when I go to the Palm House and see the overly commercial emphasis they feel they've had to put on that place.

I think it's a pertinent question, one of change, one of evolution and perhaps one of changing values.

Are we always progressing for the better or are there perhaps some sensibilities and considerations we haven't yet managed to reconcile in these cost/analysis times?

As regards kids liking museums more- well, who knows? I must've always loved adult-orientated museums then.
Do we place too much emphasis on 'kids' anyway?
Museums should also be for adults and serious and amateur academics alike surely?

I don't know about these refurbs specifically so I'll leave the answers to you lot.

·
★★★
12,611 Posts

2. Bluecoat Chambers- Used to be a quirky, boho haven with a caf attached. Now, according to some, it's a restaurant with a gallery attached.

3. Sefton Park Palm House- Used to be a palm house. Now, according to some, it's primarily an events venue.

4. Central Libraries Liverpool- Used to be a library. What's going to happen to this place???

Refurb madness? Taking the Liverpool out of Liverpool?
when was the last time you visited any of these places out of interest....

1.http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/wml/exhibitions/thebeatgoeson/ apart from the international grandeur and scale of the place, it seems they still have room for local culture

2.http://www.thebluecoat.org.uk/compo...r/year,2008/Itemid,14/limit,15/limitstart,15/ (hardly just a cafe, shame about the fire though)

3.http://www.palmhouse.org.uk/ seems pretty good to me, progressive and attractive and accessible

4.http://www.civichalls.liverpool.gov.uk/centrallibrary/index.asp its a library... I think

·
I caught a falling star
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Times change, we live in a faster more consumable society and need our information delivering faster and more directly... and in bite sized chunks. It's not a bad thing, it's just different.
For you perhaps, if you need to buy into that.

Maybe other people prefer solids?

Maybe those people would like the choice?

·
I caught a falling star
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
when was the last time you visited any of these places out of interest....

1.http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/wml/exhibitions/thebeatgoeson/ apart from the international grandeur and scale of the place, it seems they still have room for local culture

2.http://www.thebluecoat.org.uk/compo...r/year,2008/Itemid,14/limit,15/limitstart,15/ (hardly just a cafe, shame about the fire though)

3.http://www.palmhouse.org.uk/ seems pretty good to me, progressive and attractive and accessible

4.http://www.civichalls.liverpool.gov.uk/centrallibrary/index.asp its a library... I think
Sorry?

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
This thread came to mind through comments I've read on other sites and from people I know who are occasionally involved in some of these organisations- "word on the street" stuff I suppose.
"moaning" then... one of the self destructive curses of the nimby, or in your case niyby

·
I caught a falling star
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
...no need to apologise. Just go and find out for yourself. Funny though, the city is on fast track regen and there's still a body of complaint.
There were no apologies Chris- it's called 'comment' Chris, 'comment', and if you can't make an intelligent or constructive one, it's probably better to make none at all.

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
well... Paolo, it's obviously a pretty shallow and ill conceived hypothesis you are attempting to put forward here... and based on not much by the sounds of it. After all in terms of urban regen the city is currently a leading light, and it's confusing why anyone would tag 'refurb madness' to buildings/institutions that are progressive and carry so much local heritage.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts