we havent a thread for refurbs and restorations for CBD, so now we do
DA infor new podium for 55 Market
yes the one where the monorail used to go through cnr market & pitt sts
A Dino Burratini masterpiece lol

Reactions: HMoriarty

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
It is not quite CBD but I would very much like to see a detailed study of one or more of the restorations that have been (and are being) done to residences in the Milton Terrace in Lower Fort Street. In my opinion this is probably the best original group of terrace houses in Sydney.

·
Registered
15,116 Posts
Interesting. Looks like the strata issues with part of the podium may have been resolved as this looks like quite an holistic podium!

Definitely keen to see a much more significant retail presence on this corner considering its valuable proximity to Pitt Street Mall.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks for making this thread Culwulla.

I've been trying to find mention on this forum to a couple of refurbs across the city.

Perhaps you and others could help shed light on these sites, i.e. what works are occurring, expected time of completion, renders/models if any, etc?

1) 403 George St, HCF Building
Scaffolding has been up around the awning and part of the facade for ages. Part of the cladding has been replaced, but visually it appears nothing has really changed, I think...
The cynic in me suspects it was removal of possible 'flammable cladding" re: Grenfell disaster in the UK. :eek:hno:

2) 363 George St (next to Louis Vuitton)
I found this website mentioning the refurb.
https://fdcbuilding.com.au/project/george-place-ispt-345-george-street-sydney/

·
Registered
77,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
APPROVED DEC11
58 King (1936 Charles plaza) is being restored into apartmnets with new top

CND pic Campbells cove restoration

War Memorial Feb 2018

Reactions: HMoriarty

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
APPROVED DEC11
58 King (1936 Charles plaza) is being restored into apartmnets with new top

CND pic Campbells cove restoration

War Memorial Feb 2018
Three of my favourite buildings, Charles Plaza is a beauty. The War Memorial is possibly the best Art Deco building in Sydney, it is so good to see the original vision being realised.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
1) 403 George St, HCF Building
Scaffolding has been up around the awning and part of the facade for ages. Part of the cladding has been replaced, but visually it appears nothing has really changed, I think...
The cynic in me suspects it was removal of possible 'flammable cladding" re: Grenfell disaster in the UK. :eek:hno:
As always, the best place to start is the City's DA search - https://online.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/DA

399-411 George St - "Refurbishment works and alterations to the existing “HCF House” mixed use building, including internal alterations, reglazing of levels 2-12 on the George Street facade and levels 3-12 on the York Street façade, deletion of 1 car space and construction of 6 additional bicycle parking spaces. Reduction in car parking by one space and increase in bicycle parking to 6 spaces."

(application dates back to 2016 so prior to Grenfell!!)

2) 363 George St (next to Louis Vuitton)
I found this website mentioning the refurb.
https://fdcbuilding.com.au/project/george-place-ispt-345-george-street-sydney/
This one has come up in the retail thread a few times due to the big flagship tenancy being created in a prime spot opposite the end of Martin Place -

Not sure what else there is to it.

·
Registered
77,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes the Landmark building had a boring unusable ground level, total rebuild and facade treatment much better outcome and its utilisation will be welcomed

·
spider inside my dreams
2,639 Posts
Found this on the SJB site...

Situated within Sydney’s prestigious Hyde Park precinct, the property has breathtaking views over Hyde Park and Sydney harbour.

The current A-grade office building completed in 1992, is to be redeveloped into a mixed-use offering comprising a grand luxury hotel, with premium residences above. The proposed building footprint is contained within the existing envelope, respecting the solar access plane controls to Hyde Park.

Within the vertical street wall of Elizabeth Street, the building accommodates at ground level the main hotel entries off both Elizabeth and Castlereagh Streets, the hotel reception and lobby, and bistro and bar. Levels 1 to 4 include the existing Tattersalls Club and The Women’s Club. Levels 5 to 10 accommodate 180 hotel suits, with 30 suites per level.

Within the stepped building form of Levels 11 to 18 are 37 premium residences including 2 two-storey penthouses with swimming pools.

The design embodies a feeling of distinctive modern elegance and Manhattan luxury – the facades have a vertical emphasis, with columns clad in black marble, with fluted glazing between.
http://www.sjb.com.au/projects/179-hyde

·
Registered
15,116 Posts
Didn't actually realise 179 Elizabeth Street was a separate building to the Sheraton on the Park.

On the face of it, I like it. Don't ask me why (or how), but I have a soft spot for the architecture of the Sheraton on the Park, and a redesign of 179 Elizabeth Street helps to make the Sheraton on the Park more symmetrical.

I'd also support another hotel opening on Elizabeth Street...slowly but surely the "dress circle" is gathering momentum around the periphery of Hyde Park. Now we just need the Government to do something to lift the appeal of the street itself (like doing something about the buses).

·
Registered
77,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
da lodged
5storey addtions to street level for amex tower

1 - 20 of 704 Posts