1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
I am the walrus
343 Posts
looks fine to me, although i have never actually noticed it before. However, a lot of the buildings could do with a fresh coat of paint. I don't think an entire redevelopment is necessary though.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It has been refurbished, just badly. It was one of Melbournes better brutalist buildings until bits started falling off and they covered it in that horrible cladding, not to mention the ridiculous ground level retail.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
It has been refurbished, just badly. It was one of Melbournes better brutalist buildings until bits started falling off and they covered it in that horrible cladding, not to mention the ridiculous ground level retail.
The claddings is ok, just the new bright colours are off. Retail is shocking though, agreed.

Does anyone have photos pre-clad?

·
Registered
16 Posts
After they put that red line on the building I started to like it. It is in line with the old warehouse feeling that you kind of get down that end of the CBD.

That said, the Southern Cross end is starting to modern up.. but still, for the time being, I like it.

·
Overwatch Nexus
1,860 Posts
Was just gonna ask the same thing, I can't remember it before ^^

·
Lurker
3,805 Posts
Not that you can really tell, but the interiors have become quite modern after the refurbishment. Retail still sucks and the ground floor is a mess partly because of NAB's building security which requires the lift entrance to be pass card secured.

Also, shouldn't it be just called 120 Spencer St now? The Melbourne & Metropolitan Board of Works has not existed for a long time now.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I would love them to reinstate the bluestone to the exterior again, as was originaly when completed in the early 70s...:)

·
Registered
526 Posts
it would be great to redevelop this building, it is becoming an old eyesore in our city, it needs to fit in with its surroundings, especially as it is positioned right near Docklands, which is a modern development.
I don't mind it's shape or colour and, given that it predates Docklands development by about 20 years and the main thrust of your argument, Docklands development should fit in with it.

It's ironic that you should raise it's connectivity to Docklands, as it was once possible to access Southern Cross station under Spencer Street from it's front door and plaza and that tunnel had been extended under Wurundjeri Way to the site of 777 Bourke Street before the new Southern Cross was built. The old tunnel has been partly pinched for services and patrons now have to negotiate traffic lights and two sets of escalators to get to trains from Lt Collins and Collins Street.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts