Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New planning application in for this development - Mabgate takes another step forwards.

The Design and Access statement shows that a pre-app was held for an 18 storey tower right on the corner of the plot, but LCC weren't happy with the height so it was reduced. I'd been on a train back from Manchester at the end of last year and heard someone talking about Regent Street and whether to go for 17 or 18 storeys, so it must have been this scheme!

Looks nice enough, more filler but helps with density and bring more residential into the city.

https://publicaccess.leeds.gov.uk/o....do?caseType=Application&keyVal=P4LCUMJBJ2G00

·
Registered
260 Posts
Agreed that it's a shame we haven't got 18 storeys, but any regeneration to integrate this transitional zone into the City is welcome. Indeed, I'd probably rather see several lower storey schemes that bring the whole area up rather than a single tall building surrounded by warehouses.
Completely agree. Skinner Lane is a bit of a boundary between the city proper (the Leylands/Northern Quarter?) to the South, and Sheepscar to the north. It would be great if this building helped make it a more structured gateway, rather than a bit of a wasteland, as it has been to date.

It's a pity that the army reserve centre across the road from this development is so forbidding. Barbed wire and run-down barracks aren't conducive to a welcoming streetscape. The Carlton barracks a bit further to the West are similar, and they're both low-density too.

·
Registered
9,631 Posts
Very nice proposal and certainly helps to integrate this end of Regent Street more into the city centre. Still a shame to lose the old Maguires at the Regent pub building which used to stand at that site until a few years ago when it was demolished following a fire soon after closing down as a pub. Would wonder how any potential redevelopment of that site yet retaining the old pub building would have been done: http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=2002813_7638186&DISPLAY=FULL

Also would be interesting to see renders showing how this building would appear from the likes of the city centre, Little London, Sheepscar Interchange and Burmantofts.

·
7,100 Posts
Expansion of the link posted above:

Over 200 new flats could be built on an 'unsightly' site in Leeds city centre

The developers say they would transform the 'underutilised' plot

How the new flats could look

The council’s City Plans Panel is set to discuss plans to build an 11 storey block of 217 homes off Regent Street and Skinner Lane in Sheepscar.

The plans comprised of 160 one-bed, 49 two-bed and eight three-bed flats, also include other facilities on site as well as underground parking.

A report by Leeds City Council officers into the scheme suggests that the plans would make good use of a brownfield site which is currently underused.

How the new flats could look

It concludes: “This application proposal is a significant opportunity that would contribute to the continuing regeneration of the Mabgate/Regent Street area, and is a high quality sustainable development which would bring with it a number of new residential dwellings, and as such contribute towards housing delivery.

“The scheme would provide a range of dwelling types and sizes, and provide jobs during both construction and following completion. The proposal is compliant in terms of both accessibility and sustainability.

The flats would be built off Regent Street and Skinner Lane

The proposed redevelopment would also enhance the character of the surrounding area, by regenerating a prominently-located unsightly and underutilised brownfield site that has detracted from a principal route into the city centre for almost a decade and currently does not make the best use of urban land.”

The proposals also received two objections from local residents, one of whom wrote: “The scheme as proposed appears brutish in design, with square facades and little to break up the blankness of the frontage, especially to Cypress Point on Leylands Road.

“The enjoyment of that building will be adversely affected by the appearance of the subject proposal, but more especially by the closeness of the building to Cypress Point and the limiting effect on daylight particularly to the lower floors.”

It is recommended that the plans are delegated to council planning officers to iron out final details, including putting a requirement on the site to include seven per cent affordable housing.
c/o Leeds-Live.co.uk, dated 23 Aug 2019.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/leeds-news/over-200-new-flats-could-16797055

·
Registered
906 Posts
Height issues aside, I like the crisp design of this proposal, though I know not everyone agrees. One objector to the scheme called it a “poor brutish” design.

Then I got to thinking. The area bounded by Mabgate and North Street, Skinner Lane and New York Street has a fair number of proposals going forward, as well as what’s already been built. And I think it’s big enough to form, if not an extension to the city centre, then an inner city district that’s not populated by tin sheds or decrepit housing.

The east side of Regent Street has a couple of Art Deco buildings in a poorish state of repair. I’m not sure if it’s worthwhile to keep them or to replace them with buildings more in scale with this proposal.

There is a gem, though, and that’s the gorgeous Edwardian Baroque former bank at the end of Regent Street. I would love to see it cleaned up and given some useful purpose.

The only fly in the ointment is the inner ring road. At least it’s sunk below ground level at the North Street end, although I think some remodelling of junctions and landscaping would make the IRR less of a barrier as you head out of the city centre.

It’s the flyover between Regent Street and Eastgate that’s the problem. There’s just no getting away from it. But, since it’s not going away, why not transform it? Begin with an imaginative lighting scheme to dispel the gloom. Then what about encouraging street artists to decorate it? Maybe even do something in association with Leeds City College or the Playhouse. I think that, with the proper treatment, the flyover could be transformed into a gateway to the city centre.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Height issues aside, I like the crisp design of this proposal, though I know not everyone agrees. One objector to the scheme called it a “poor brutish” design.

There is a gem, though, and that’s the gorgeous Edwardian Baroque former bank at the end of Regent Street. I would love to see it cleaned up and given some useful purpose.

The only fly in the ointment is the inner ring road. At least it’s sunk below ground level at the North Street end, although I think some remodelling of junctions and landscaping would make the IRR less of a barrier as you head out of the city centre.

It’s the flyover between Regent Street and Eastgate that’s the problem. There’s just no getting away from it. But, since it’s not going away, why not transform it? Begin with an imaginative lighting scheme to dispel the gloom. Then what about encouraging street artists to decorate it? Maybe even do something in association with Leeds City College or the Playhouse. I think that, with the proper treatment, the flyover could be transformed into a gateway to the city centre.
I like the design too. It works as a gateway building as you head into the city down Regent Street.

The bank building at the end of Regent St is under offer, so be interesting to see who has bought it and what they are going to do to spruce it up

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
yeah it looks ok to me, it would be good if those proposed Mabgate flats get built soon as well to increase footfall. The Aldi supermarket has been a good addition around there it has always seemed busy when i passed by. I bought some supplies for myself from there last week and was impressed at the range and quality of the food on offer. I will return for more items there regularly such as the fruit, the best supermarket branded red pepper houmos (75p) iv'e had and esp. the tasty sweet potato curry (£1.99) that i got from there.:)

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
yeah it looks ok to me, it would be good if those proposed Mabgate flats get built soon as well to increase footfall. The Aldi supermarket has been a good addition around there it has always seemed busy when i passed by. I bought some supplies for myself from there last week and was impressed at the range and quality of the food on offer. I will return for more items there regularly such as the fruit, the best supermarket branded red pepper houmos (75p) iv'e had and esp. the tasty sweet potato curry (£1.99) that i got from there.:)
Aldi takes a lot of beating...I was converted about a year ago, and can't believe the price difference for most products compared even to Asda or Morrisons. The food and products are equally as good if not better

·
Registered
30,763 Posts
It works as a good filler building, and it's around the scale and design quality I would expect for this part of the city.

It's not necessarily priority while so much of the traditional city centre needs renovating, but in the longer term I would like to see a masterplan for Regent Street to turn it into a more attractive boulevard than what it is currently.

The IRR shouldn't necessarily be an issue - many other cities have similar interjections in their cityscape. We also probably wouldn't really want to get rid of it either as it's existence essentially allows the central area to be largely free of through traffic. They just need to turn the space under the flyover into some form of hipster hang out and problem solved.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts