SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґ&#4
5,767 Posts
More cities in Canada really need rail systems, so this is good news. AS it is now, only Montreal, Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver, Ottawa, and Edmonton have light or heavy rail systems. if you look at many European cities, even towns with only a few hundred thousand people have transit systems, and I think that is where we need to go in order to become less of a car culture. Really, when looking at other nations, I'm suprised that large cities like Winnipeg, Quebec, or Hamilton don't have their own rail transit.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Feedback on the LRT seems to be improving with time.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, there were also a few of the 'build new roads and build more bridges across the Grand' letters. I'm sure this will all happen to a certain extent, but I don't think that these people realize that this would only be a temporary solution. It might ease congestion now, but will only create more in the future.

Overall I thought the reaction was fairly positive, but then again, those are only the letters that the paper chose to publish :).

Also, I don't think the people in Kitchener or Cambridge would ever want to live in 'Waterloo' (just like Waterlooionoinions wouldn't want to live in Kitchener or Cambridge) :). If they do amalgamate the cities, I bet they'll call it something like Grand River.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Regarding the name change, I was only expressing my own feeling.

At the same time, I think Waterloo does have the cache that Kitchener and Cambridge don't. First of all, the Region is already named Waterloo, and secondly, it is the technology centre and location of the universities.

For me, Waterloo conjures up nice images of Beechwood-Westvale, Conestoga Mall/ New Colonial Acres area, the universities and their surrouding areas, and Uptown Waterloo. Kitchener and Cambridge conjure up far worse images... just my opinion.

BTW, I created a thread like this in the Subway and Urban Transport section of SSC.

-thryve

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for opening up the thread in the other forum, thryve.

There was actually another collection of opinion letters a couple of weeks ago in the paper about amalgamation and name change (similar to today's transportation page). The general consensus seemed to be to pick a name that wouldn't offend anybody, and I agree with that.

My opinion of Waterloo is that it's small city that's trying to act big. In my opinion, there isn't much that distinguishes Waterloo from any number of other small cities in Canada except, of course, the two universities.

There are even Kitchener and Cambridge equivalents to the boring, sprawling suburban areas that you've mentioned. Geez, the people I know that live in Westvale wish that they didn't live there or at the very least think that there's nothing remarkable about it. For safety reasons, don't even think of telling a person from Beechwood that they don't live in the centre of the universe... :)

Those are just my perceptions (well some of them, but I don't want to offend anyone reading this who is from Waterloo :) ) but you can rest assured that I wouldn't want to call the city Kitchener or Cambridge either.

Buuuuuuuuut I digress, none of that had anything to do with LRT. So in conclusion, uh, go trains!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Bah. Bitches. I wrote one and they edited out the Sim City refrence, about the subways/trains, but without the Sim City refrence it ruins the letter. Oh well.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well, I wrote something about pretending Kitchener was a SimCity game, and the transporation was quite poor. You can see where it screws up with the editing when it says train/subway (pretend one of those is a light-rail).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts