Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will Australia ever get over it Capital City Compulsion and shift its development ideas to regional projects?

Praise Canberra, without it the interior of the Australian landmass would be totally void of a city of any real size.

Is there any possibility of a city of any real size being developed in the interior, either an existing city or an entirely new one?

·
Registered
215 Posts
We have plenty of regional cities in QLD and NSW, just not many inland. I don't don't think there's anything wrong with that either, we've got some of the best coastlines in the world, it'd be a shame not to use it.

·
26,654 Posts
^^And one of the most inhospitable interiors in the world also. It isn't actually that nice living in the interior than living on the coast unless you want to live in small areas, in which case you wouldn't normally live in a city if there was one there.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
and keep in mind we do have SOME resonable sized inland towns. Take Toowoomba, Tamworth, Bathurst, Albury-Wodonga, Shepparton

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
I demand a giant pipe pump water into the centre of australia. Inland Ocean for the win!

·
Registered Abuser
2,904 Posts
Whitlam had a go with Albury-Wodonga. Not really a success.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I reckon the World (and Australia) is focusing all it's resources on the established Urban Areas, instead of Rural, thats why 300 million chinese are making a transition from the farms to the cities.

·
Put it in your mouth
7,111 Posts
Wasn't it last year that the number of people living in cities finally overtook the number of people living in rural areas?

I wouldn't be suprised if inland towns and cities started dying. Mining keeps a lot of them alive (in WA's case at least) but other towns wouldn't be so lucky. Farming in Australia is a dying cause, water is an issue, and most young people leave for the city as soon as they can.

·
Lord Melbourne
4,257 Posts
We need some subgroundscrapers at coober pedy! Awesome town that it is.

Alice springs needs a boom :p

·
Registered
511 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know QLD, VIC, NSW and TAS have larger regional centres, but if you look at SA we have Adelaide with over 70% of the population and then the next largest city is Mount Gambier with about 30,000 - not even 10% of Adelaide's size.

We need better incentives for immigration to regional areas. SA should bump its immigrant qouta up to at least 25-30,000 a year!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Roxby, Whyalla and Port Augusta are booming at the moment - and at least they're not plagued by shortages of housing and services in the WA mining towns.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I know QLD, VIC, NSW and TAS have larger regional centres, but if you look at SA we have Adelaide with over 70% of the population and then the next largest city is Mount Gambier with about 30,000 - not even 10% of Adelaide's size.

We need better incentives for immigration to regional areas. SA should bump its immigrant qouta up to at least 25-30,000 a year!
Do you know what percentage of Victoria's population is in of Melbourne? I would've thought it would be around 70% too.

·
Banned
234 Posts
Biggest inladnd towns are

Canberra, Toowoomba, then Bendigo, ballarat? Thats technically only 2 inland towns with pops greater than 100,000. The vast majority are about 20-30000 e.g. Tamworth, dubbo, Kalgoorlie, Mildura, Shepperton, Bathhurst

·
̙͈̩ͫ̎Ż̌ͫ&
3,549 Posts
GOB said:
Do you know what percentage of Victoria's population is in of Melbourne? I would've thought it would be around 70% too.
About three quarters - more if you include Geelong and the peninsulas.

Then, excluding Geelong, the satellite cities of Melbourne and the Mornington Pen.:

*The biggest regional cities are Bendigo and Ballarat each on about 100k, then LaTrobe City (Moe, Morwell, Traralgon) on about 70k.

*The next level are the larger regional towns the likes of Shepparton, Warrnambool, Wodonga, and Mildura from 30-35k.

*Then it drops to the 10-15k bracket, roughly: Wangaratta, Bairnsdale, Ocean Grove/Barwon Heads, Colac, Echuca, Hamilton, Horsham, Portland, Sale, Swan Hill, Warragul

*And the small centres 5-10k: Benalla, Castlemaine, Clifton Springs, Leopold (Geelong), Maryborough, Ararat, Cobram, Drouin, Seymour, Kyabram, Lakes Entrance, Stawell, Torquay, Wonthaggi

That's old 2001 data so many would have increased in population (and some declined). Not hard classings since many have large rural catchments which aren't included in the town's population - ex. Mildura Rural City Council has a population in excess of 50k, many families working blocks outside the actual town.

Best place to go for Vic data is either:

DoI - Know your area
or Local Government Victoria

It would be good to get some data from the other states.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts