SkyscraperCity banner

3001 - 3015 of 3015 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Tiger Air is completely axing a Cairns route. Also Jetstar will cut back Japan flights.

https://www.cairnspost.com.au/subscribe/news/1/?sourceCode=CPWEB_WRE170_a&dest=https://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/tigerair-to-axe-sydney-to-cairns-route-from-end-of-april/news-story/bd3d01efce9f1b63979f8aea1228c787&memtype=registered&mode=premium&v21suffix=107-b#command-form

The end is nigh, i had a day last week i was told to stay at home due to no tourists a company we work with didn't operate, they are cancelling more and more.
And yet when I look to accomodation in Cairns over the next few months the prices are as high as ever, seems to be a disconnect there somewhere, although they are a key component sometimes I think people are too quick to blame the airports, the whole sector needs to step up.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Good news for Townsville, BITRE stats put Townsville in the top 10 airports in Australia for both Nov and Dec, replacing Darwin at number 10 both months, it has been a long time since Townsville was in the top 10. More good news for Townsville in Qantas new schedule from May onwards, many of the current 717 services will return to 737 aircraft, including the last flight in and first flight out each day, about 600 extra seats a week.

·
Registered
560 Posts
And yet when I look to accomodation in Cairns over the next few months the prices are as high as ever, seems to be a disconnect there somewhere, although they are a key component sometimes I think people are too quick to blame the airports, the whole sector needs to step up.
I agree, holidaying in Australia is a rip-off all round. No wonder myself and others go OS.

It's getting very very quite here at the moment, i would imagine a lot of holidaymakers had it all booked before Corona Virus but as time goes on they will have done their trip and none are booking so it will get worse in the coming months!

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Agree hotel nights are expensive, alcohol is expensive, tours are expensive and generally food is too. No wonder people go to Bali and other destinations for value for money. The Government is to blame for expensive liquor prices due to extra compliance and taxes.

Two night stay with airfares for 1-2 people at the Gold Coast, Cairns, Townsville or Toowoomba with meals sight seeing drinks at a 4 star place can easily reach 1000,00 or over. That money goes a long way in Bali and Thailand.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Agree hotel nights are expensive, alcohol is expensive, tours are expensive and generally food is too. No wonder people go to Bali and other destinations for value for money. The Government is to blame for expensive liquor prices due to extra compliance and taxes.

Two night stay with airfares for 1-2 people at the Gold Coast, Cairns, Townsville or Toowoomba with meals sight seeing drinks at a 4 star place can easily reach 1000,00 or over. That money goes a long way in Bali and Thailand.
I've paid $500 to Brisbane one way before.
I also paid $360 return to Narita from Cairns. I've done Gold Coast to Singapore for $200 one way and KL to Goldy for $125 although i do not recommend Air Asia ever!

Domestic prices are retarded at best, i just go North now for holidays.

·
Optimist
7,248 Posts
^^ I've been to Narita from Cairns for ~$200 return a couple of times. Just did Sydney to Cairns for $400 return.

·
Registered
101 Posts
SKYTRANS will start flying directly between Cairns and Cooktown in a major boost of its services across the Far North.

The regional airline is set to announce today that it will launch 43 new passenger flights each week across the region, including four new routes and two new destinations.

From April 20, Skytrans will operate 14 return flights per week between Cairns and Cooktown, five return flights between Cairns and Weipa, three one-way flights per week between Weipa and Horn Island and two one-way flights per week between Cooktown and Weipa.

Currently, Cairns-Cooktown has been serviced only by Hinterland Aviation, using single-prop Cessna aircraft.

Skytrans chief executive Tim Healee said it would be the first time a high-capacity airline would service Cooktown residents.

“Feedback from businesses and the travelling public was very clear,” he said.

“Our customers want to travel to Cooktown and Weipa with the comfort of an airliner instead of a small single-engine aircraft, so that’s exactly what we will be doing.

“It’s time to bring a real airline service to Cooktown and that’s just what our passengers will get. Our Dash 8 aircraft offers in-flight services and toilet facilities together with our pressurized cabin and cargo capacity.”

Cook Shire Council chief executive Linda Cardew said the additional flights between Cairns and Cooktown, with the added link to Weipa, fitted with the council’s long-term plans to move the region forward.

“Council is investing in upgrades across our aerodrome network, particularly our major airport out of Cooktown, and welcomes the support of new businesses such as Skytrans,” she said.

Cairns Airport chief executive Norris Carter said air travel was vital for communities across the region.

“These expanded aviation routes directly benefit the lives of the people in those communities, and their local economies,” he said.

Skytrans’ new direct service between Cairns and Cooktown will be launched with cheap airfares between each destination and cheap one-way fares between Weipa and Cairns.

The carrier’s part-owner, Johnathan Thurston, said the airline wanted to connect communities across the Far North.

“These new routes will really open up opportunities for jobs, tourism and even health care,” the NRL legend said.

https://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/cairns/cairns-airport-skytrans-announces-new-direct-routes-across-fnq-including-cooktown-weipa/news-story/230a74429308351f88df236d41e24505

·
Registered
101 Posts
Qantas reduced services from FNQ
  • Sydney - Cairns (7 return services per week, down from 14)
  • Brisbane - Cairns (14 return services per week, down from 38)
  • Brisbane - Townsville (14 return services per week, down from 36)
  • Cairns - Townsville (14 return services per week)
  • Cairns - Horn Island (7 return services per week)
  • Cairns - Weipa (13 return services per week)
  • Townsville - Mt Isa via Cloncurry (9 return services per week)
  • Townsville - Mackay - Rockhampton (7 return services per week)
Suspended Qantas routes from FNQ
  • Cairns - Uluru
  • Cairns - Hamilton Island
  • Melbourne
Jetstar reduced services from FNQ
  • Cairns-Sydney (7 return services per week, down from 21)
  • Cairns-Melbourne (14 return services per week, down from 26)
  • Brisbane-Townsville (7 return services per week, down from 14)
Jetstar suspended routes from FNQ
  • All flights from Mackay
  • Brisbane - Cairns
  • Cairns - Gold Coast
  • Cairns - Adelaide
  • Cairns - Perth
  • No info available on Japan or Bali routes from Cairns
Virgin suspended routes from FNQ
  • Melbourne-Cairns
  • Sydney-Cairns
  • Sydney-Townsville
Tiger Air suspended routes from FNQ
  • All flights nationwide have been canceled, entire fleet grounded
Other suspensions
  • Shenzen - Cairns
  • Singapore - Cairns (Different sources are saying different things)
  • Auckland - Cairns (Until July 1st)

·
Registered
393 Posts
If the block highlighted is where it’s gong to be built then what a stupid idea, that’s a long walk, why wouldn’t they build it right next to the terminal like Mackay or the new hotels in Brisbane.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Last Sunday, 40 tonnes of seafood cargo left Cairns Airport to Hong Kong. This is up 18 tonnes from Sunday three weeks ago. Qantas freight route is really working well alongside the slow but continuous growth of the FNQ seafood market in Asia.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Last Sunday, 40 tonnes of seafood cargo left Cairns Airport to Hong Kong. This is up 18 tonnes from Sunday three weeks ago. Qantas freight route is really working well alongside the slow but continuous growth of the FNQ seafood market in Asia.
Yep, i heard a different sounding plane and thought WTF, hit up flight radar and there is a Qantas 767 Freight heading off for Hong Kong.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Finally some good news for Cairns Airport.
Qantas announced today that they would use an A330 to serve Brisbane - Cairns - Hong Kong for freight
  • Once a week service
  • Add's to 767 freighter's once a week service (Sydney - Cairns - Hong Kong)
  • houses more freight than the 767 (which can only carry 25 tons for Cairns export)
  • Capable of growing in the coming weeks/months if goes well

(Also, Cairns Post called it a "Boeing A330". This is stereotypical media😂

3001 - 3015 of 3015 Posts