SkyscraperCity banner

3581 - 3595 of 3595 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
That feels
If the Gateshead Highway is at the end of its economic life then maybe they should stop fannying around with cycle lanes and start planning for a decent replacement road and urban integrated public square roundabout traffic lighted set of simple traffic junctions at Old Durham Road, Park Lane, and Askew Road.
I thought they said (pre-COVID) that they had the budget to demolish the flyover (might have dreamed this). As we’ve discussed here many times the whole complex of roads and junctions around Askew Road and the Gateshead side of the Tyne Bridge need to be redesigned.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Are the structures on the central motorway of a similar age to the Gateshead flyover? If the latter is at the end of its lifespan what does that mean for the central motorway?

·
22,020 Posts
Are the structures on the central motorway of a similar age to the Gateshead flyover? If the latter is at the end of its lifespan what does that mean for the central motorway?

Not sure of the dates of the construction of the 'Gateshead Flyover', but the CME was built between 1972 and 1975 . . .

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Trying to get my head around all this...

It is an inescapable, inevitable fact that the bridges over the Tyne bottleneck the Southern approach to Newcastle, and leaves a cascade of traffic to clog up Gateshead.

Redheugh serves the westward core of Newcastle, and Tyne Bridge the eastward/central core.

The best way to get to one of these bridges is via the Lobley Hill A184 branch off the Western Bypass, and with relative ease you can get to Newcastle via the Redheugh. The problem comes when you want to get eastward of Newcastle centre, which means you have to divert to crossing the Tyne Bridge, and so this is why Askew Road exists to link A184 to Tyne Bridge.

The problem with this is that Askew Road then is on a collision course to meet at the head of the Tyne Bridge the culmination of incoming radial routes that converge on the Gateshead Highway- serving Gateshead and South Tyneside in the Durham Roads, Sunderland Road, Park Lane etc.

This creates a pig of a junction on A167/Askew Road, whereby you have a 50/50 wait and access the Tyne Bridge.

As this junction sits on a critical part of Gateshead Town Centre (its boundary with Quays and Bridge Q) it appears that every study focusses on trying to simply shift this junction to another area (like diverting Askew Road traffic up and around the back of the Interchange and past the Civic Centre). So let's not kid ourselves, this is not about making permeability of traffic through Gateshead any easier. It is improving Gateshead Town Centre (not an unworthy cause) at the expense of the region, while using climate change as an excuse and dumping the guilt onto the motorist.

Two arenas for reducing traffic through Gateshead and car use generally, all of which need to be addressed at a regional level.

- Transport
New rail and metro plan to get bums off car seats.
Regional rail network of quality stopping services on ECML/ Leamside/ Tyne Valley taking cars off A1
ECML chord to serve Metro Centre and provide instant easy and frequent access between MC and Newcastle centre over a new bridge.
Metro expansion into South/West Gateshead to link commuter rail to the national road network and get park and rides going
Potential new road bridge at Bill Quay (yeah right)

- Planning
Housing densification of Gateshead Town Centre, and employment densification of Newcastle City Centre (and vice versa) to provide growth and expand the existing 'I dont need a car to get by' urban lifestyle already prevalent in the retained student population of Tyneside. Then you might get a demand for a dedicated cycle lane through the Town Centre.
Tyneside wide plan to shut down out of town business parks and radial orbital cheap leasehold offices that rely solely on cars arriving in leylandi enclosed seas of parking.
Tyneside wide plan to open no more new retail parks unless there is a 100% occupancy rate of all existing retail stock in the region.

Gateshead Town Centre however does need addressing urgently. I think the region does in a way accept that we will have to sacrifice motoring convenience to allow GTC to blossom, but only if the net result is thousands of decent sized affordable homes and new central based businesses and employment opportunities in a more vibrant and pedestrian well connected place that feels like a 'place'- which currently it does not.

The truth is that there needs to be a very careful waltz between policies that lessen traffic, and improving Gateshead Town Centre to convert it into a pedestrian first place. My worry is that Gateshead is only doing the latter and by not joining with the Combined Authority are denying a positive collaboration to achieve this.

After all, this is Gateshead's reason for being in the first place. It's very existence is predicated upon being an access road to cross the river and get to what is now Newcastle. 2000 years later, it's still grappling with its most basic of functions.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Another update stolen from Facebook...

Taken from another group:

So, following my call with Annaliese, the Council have confirmed that the flyover will reopen , but not today. It will take a few days to reverse the works done so far.

Askew Road will not reopen in either direction, although changes are being made to the junction with Prince Consort Road to improve traffic flow to the west and access to Ochre Yards.

The traffic manager was also in on the call and he explained that, in addition to the pollution issues, the primary problem at the Tyne Bridge/Askew Road junction was the sheer volume of traffic, which has been overwhelming the traffic light systems and causing longer delays on Askew Road and up Prince Consort Road. Essentially there is now way to solve this, so they will be keeping that junction closed.

I'm waiting for a press release with full details, but it's a partial victory and less of a short, sharp shock than the original plans. Let me know your thoughts.

Will post the detail as soon as I have it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The primary problem at the Tyne Bridge/Askew Road junction was the sheer volume of traffic, which has been overwhelming the traffic light systems and causing longer delays on Askew Road and up Prince Consort Road. Essentially there is now way to solve this, so they will be keeping that junction closed.
They must be able to partially alleviate this by resequencing the traffic lights but I sort of agree that the fundamental issue is the road layout itself. Not sure how the proposal from the Council addressed this rather than exacerbated it though?

·
356 Posts
Article from Gateshead Council website.
Council acts on feedback to cycling and walking plans
29 July 2020

Roadworks to bring new cycling and walking routes to Gateshead town centre are to change following public feedback.

The Gateshead flyover will reopen to north bound traffic next week as soon as it is practical and safe and to enable further consultation and analysis of traffic flow data to take place.

Work had begun this week to introduce new road layouts to the town centre to meet increasing demand for more cycling and walking space and in preparation to help meet air quality targets which we are required to do by the Government early in the new year.

Gateshead Council Leader, Martin Gannon said: "We've listened to the concerns raised by the public in the last few days and taken action to reopen the flyover. We need to take stock of the impact and have the opportunity for more and better consultation with residents and other road users.

"Clearly, we have tried to do too much, too quickly. From the start of this work which is temporary and experimental we've said we wanted feedback and we've listened to what is being said. The recent changes were designed to test road layouts which may be required to meet the clean air requirements set by government whist traffic is at lower levels following lockdown.

"Air quality is a real problem and we know we are going to have to make bold changes to manage traffic on the approach to the Tyne Bridge. Further consultation is needed as working together on a solution to address this major issue is important. We are already meeting with local campaigners to understand the issues and involve them in this process.

"While we are still managing the demands of Covid-19, we cannot forget that the climate change emergency and poor air quality are both major factors affecting the health of our local communities. Car journeys make a significant impact on air quality and we know we need to encourage and support people to use alternative means of travel if we are to improve air quality in Gateshead."

Council acts on feedback to cycling and walking plans - Gateshead Council

(Also posted in 'Cycling & Cycling Infrastructure' thread).

·
Registered
20,150 Posts
Some of the roads affected by new cycling and walking improvements put in place around Gateshead town centre - pictures 29/07/20

Following up on post #3572 and other recent posts, also being being discussed more comprehensively and with more pictures on Gateshead Developments thread - see posts from post #3886 on Gateshead Area - Developments

A few of the pictures from the Gateshead Developments thread posts of 29/07/20 taken by myself from Wednesday 29/07/20 in period approx 1000 - 1245 showing views of some of the roads in Gateshead town centre following the implementation of new cycling and walking improvements in recent days - set to be modified following severe congestion etc

KEN

·
12,828 Posts
Parish Notice

OK. You can make a case for putting this stuff in any number of places but currently the Gateshead traffic arrangements and what seems to be a bit of a handbrake turn [did you see what i did there...] are running in 3 threads:
  • Cycling
  • Gateshead
  • Roads
So as this seems to be in the main an exercise in 'un-roading' [as far as cars go] and active cyclerouting, albeit with knock ons I ve copied [I think] the posts from Gateshead and Roads into cycling. Could we try and have the core chat on this there.

No reason to not put posts if relevant in the other threads as well [Ken and NE1 take a bow :)] but so there's a coherent thread can we keep this narrative in the cycling. It might be this changes - fair to say it seems a bit fluid around the civic in Gateshead right now.

BTW some great posts...and LOTS of them... have RSI from mouse clicks.

·
12,828 Posts
Well...
  • In 1862, Prime Minister William Gladstone described Grey Street as “our best modern street”.
  • Then in 1948, the poet John Betjeman declared: “As for the curve of Grey Street, I shall never forget seeing it to perfection, traffic-less on a misty Sunday morning. Not even old Regent Street London can compare with that descending subtle curve.”
  • Meanwhile, in 2002, listeners of Radio 4 voted it “best street in the UK”.
Let's set to one side the rightness of what's been done and instead look at how its been done.

I hear the sound of spinning bodies....

Lovely, so sympathetic...

Also [sigh] in improving the public realm, which it doesn't....

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Apparently the 'gate' in Gateshead is from the Scandinavian (Viking) name for road or way. Perhaps the gates' head was on Windmill Hill where the tracks to the south and southwest and across the river, to Newcastle, met up.

I'm sorry about Grey Street. (True morons). One of those traffic cones has been moved from the top of the Stephenson Monument, perhaps.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Gateshead High Street changes to parking and road markings.

I was a bit torn as to where to post this. Gateshead High Street doesn't get a mention in the Covid plans and I couldn't find anything in the Cycle and Pedestrian ones either.

Somewhere between 10.00 this morning when I saw someone alight from a bus at the bus stop and shelter in the photographs and 2.00 this afternoon when I returned the bus stop and car parking outside Home Bargains and Trinity Church had been blocked off. A new bus stop yellow road marking had been painted on the parking bay in between the two.

·
356 Posts
Delays expected after Dunston bridge fire.

03 August 2020
A road bridge over the River Team in Gateshead has been reduced to a single lane after suffering serious structural damage in an arson attack.

The concrete bridge on Team Street in Dunston was damaged last week when a large fire was lit underneath it.
After the fire was extinguished, the road over the bridge was reduced to a single lane as a precaution while investigations into the extent of the damage were carried out.

Now, structural engineers have examined the structure and identified substantial damage which will require major repairs to correct. It will therefore be necessary to continue to limit traffic over the bridge to a single lane controlled by traffic lights.

It is not currently known how long the repairs will take to complete or the cost.
Delays to traffic are inevitable and motorists are therefore advised to avoid the area if at all possible.

SOURCE: Delays expected after Dunston bridge fire - Gateshead Council

·
356 Posts
Article from Newcastle City Council website.
Green light given for bridge closures in Newcastle
Legal orders to close five small bridges to traffic will be in place from 13 August as part of Newcastle City Council’s plan to reduce traffic levels in local neighbourhoods.

The bridges selected are used by inappropriate levels of traffic for small structures, using the bridges as a shortcut through residential streets. By restricting traffic, the council will also meet the rising demand for better walking and cycling in local neighbourhoods.

The bridges include:
  • Salters Bridge, Parklands
  • Dene Bridge, Castle Farm Road, Dene and South Gosforth
  • Haldane Bridge, South Jesmond
  • Argyle Street Bridge, Ouseburn
  • Stoneyhurst Bridge, Dene and South Gosforth
Cllr Arlene Ainsley, cabinet member for transport and air quality, said: “Now more than ever, we need to encourage people out of their cars and choose greener options such as walking and cycling, due to the health and environmental benefits they bring.

“This is why we are embarking on our bridge closure programme, to reduce traffic and encourage greener ways to travel, not local streets choked by traffic and pollution.

“The legal orders will become operational from the 13 August, and we will put measures in place to stop traffic using them. We will then open our public consultation for six months and people can tell us their views, which will inform whether the closures will stay in place in the long-term.

READ MORE: Green light given for bridge closures in Newcastle | Newcastle City Council

3581 - 3595 of 3595 Posts