SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Do you like the Reichstag?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Reichstag building in Berlin was constructed as the place where the Reichstag, the parliament of the German Empire, would convene. It was opened in 1894 and housed the Reichstag until 1933. It again became the seat of the German parliament in 1999. In 1992, Sir Norman Foster won yet another architectual contest for the reconstruction of the building.

Reichstag by Mathias Liebing, on Flickr

Reichstag Building - Berlin, Germany by Scott Sharick, on Flickr

Berlin Reichstag by david.bank (www.david-bank.com), on Flickr

Berlin - Reichstag by en_la_bici, on Flickr

Reichstag by oןɹɐɔcarlo, on Flickr

Reichstag, Berlin by DrTeNFeet, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
9/10 A very beautiful and historic building. It represents Germany's attempts and then success at achieving Democracy. Glad to see it's back in business!!

I have never seen a picture of the Reichstag with the enourmous grass garden in front. It kind of reminds me of the "Mall" in front of the Capitol building in Washington, D.C. Was this always a part of the Reichstag?

·
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nick in Atlanta said:
9/10 A very beautiful and historic building. It represents Germany's attempts and then success at achieving Democracy. Glad to see it's back in business!!

I have never seen a picture of the Reichstag with the enourmous grass garden in front. It kind of reminds me of the "Mall" in front of the Capitol building in Washington, D.C. Was this always a part of the Reichstag?
maybe you have only seen it from this side:

Berlin is the city with the most changes in the world in the last 15 years but I guess it always looked like this ( this picture it 2 years old)

·
spaghetti polonaise
2,593 Posts
LuckyLuke said:
Berlin is the city with the most changes in the world in the last 15 years but I guess it always looked like this
No, the place in front of the Reichstag (and even the Reichstag itself) looked different before it was burned down in 1933 (the Nazis blamed a dutch communist for it).

The Reichstag until ca. 1900

·
Endorsed by the NRA
SSC User of the Year 1987
26,247 Posts
Hope this helps. :D

It's a pretty nice building. 9

·
Lord Melbourne
4,343 Posts
And to think it was bombed burnt down and rebuilt and shot at, and it is still great. just think, soldiers and tankd died/blew up just outside of it 60 years ago. lovely building.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
This is a little off-topic, but I wish Berlin would have painted a line around "West Berlin" which would be visible from an aerial view, which showed where the Berlin Wall used to stand. I think that a lot of Germans know its location very well, but I don't know where it ran exactly. I have a rough idea, but I'd like to know for sure.

·
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nick in Atlanta said:
This is a little off-topic, but I wish Berlin would have painted a line around "West Berlin" which would be visible from an aerial view, which showed where the Berlin Wall used to stand. I think that a lot of Germans know its location very well, but I don't know where it ran exactly. I have a rough idea, but I'd like to know for sure.
Nick there's a line with stones on the ground where the Berlin wall was. Here are 2 pictures:

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.