SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IMO there should have been reconstruction of the 1894 original Reichstag building in Berlin

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I don't. I like the juxtaposition of the massive old structure with the new light glass cupola: the old Prussian massiveness and the new German lightness.

If it hadn't been destroyed, then I would have definetely kept it the way it was.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I think they did a remarkably good job on the new one. The glass dome is fantastic, and (as urbane mentioned) the juxtaposition of the modernist dome and classical proportions and materials is something quite unique. A job well done. The garden looks rather dire though...

·
Premium member
10,030 Posts
The new Reichstag look better than the old one.

The old Reichstag looked like many other buiuldings while the new one is truly unique and beautiful.

·
1,540 Posts
goschio said:
The new Reichstag look better than the old one.

The old Reichstag looked like many other buiuldings while the new one is truly unique and beautiful.
I think that the old Reichstag was more beautiful but like Goschio said there are many buildings like that one. The new one will be forever a unique masterpiece!

·
Banned
216 Posts
New buliding is to me nicer but i think park shoul be reconstructed the way it was before, also i think you should try to reconstruct more buildings near by the way they were before

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
^yes indeed Arpels, the old dome was a great work without doubts, although that structure was destroyed during the Second WW. I believe that the old structures when they are recovered must include elements of the moment at which it was recovered to make clear that the building underwent a great restoration, in fact, of this building only kept the walls at that sad year.

·
1,540 Posts
The Wrapped Reichstag by Christo and Jeanne-Claude 1995

After a struggle spanning through the Seventies, Eighties and Nineties, the wrapping of the Reichstag was completed on June 24th, 1995 by a work force of 90 professional climbers and 120 installation workers. The Reichstag remained wrapped for 14 days and all materials were recycled.

I can't believe that it's already 11 years ago!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
What's the story with the wrapping? Was it there for the duration of some reparations, or just as an artwork? Was the dome built after the wrapping?
How did it look like before it was "fixed"?

Anyway, awesome building!

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Hmm...I liked the old Reichstag more, but the the new dome is not bad too.
The modern version fits the "new" Germany an Berlin better.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts