Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
OK Great News but isn't it time to mix up the design a little bit more?? Are we going to have an entire DT Miami with nearly identical buildings??

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
At least it's affordable housing. I haven't heard a number as low as $130,000 per unit in a very long time. And it's time they gut out the parking garages--downtown doesn't need them. Maybe people will finally start using their feet.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
OK Great News but isn't it time to mix up the design a little bit more?? Are we going to have an entire DT Miami with nearly identical buildings??
Agreed.

I don't think the city has had a truly great building go up since Espirito Santo. A couple of the condo projects (especially Ten Museum) are pretty good but most are of the cookie-cutter variety and sleep-inducing.

To avoid the scenario you described---which is exactly what's happening---the city needs to stop being so lenient and Pavlovian towards future projects and make real demands for quality design.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
great pricing but I'm trying to figure out were this would be located. Isn't the Gusman on Flagler?...and if so I wasn't aware of any vacant lots behind it.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
They seem to be referring to the vacant lot on the corner of SE 1st Street and SE 2nd Ave. The vacant lots address is 147 SE 1st Street. Its quite a bit inland which would make this the first new residential tower (as opposed to rehabs like Flagler First) proposed more than 2 blocks inland in the CBD since those towers by the Miami Arena. Its about 2 blocks south and 1 block west of the current loft buildings.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
It would also be nice if Related could come up with actual names for the buildings rather than simply Loft 1, Loft 2, Loft 3, & Loft 4. I guess it beats "Loftika" for a name at least...

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I love the idea that A. there's no ugly parking pedestal, thus promoting public transit and B. it's affordable, yes! Seriously, all these condos are nice but how many can afford multi-million dollar penthouses? Not the average person, most of these are made for those that don't even live in the city year-round. More affordable housing means permanent residents and a boost to the CBD's life, which is exactly what Miami needs.

·
Savior of Gondor
1,505 Posts
They seem to be referring to the vacant lot on the corner of SE 1st Street and SE 2nd Ave. The vacant lots address is 147 SE 1st Street. Its quite a bit inland which would make this the first new residential tower (as opposed to rehabs like Flagler First) proposed more than 2 blocks inland in the CBD since those towers by the Miami Arena. Its about 2 blocks south and 1 block west of the current loft buildings.
I see a lot of positive about this project. One as Dave says above it moves the skyline west which is a good thing, so it wont be just a narrow band along the bay. Two this is very affordable and that will help bring more people to the area. This building may not be the best looking or best named but its not that bad. Also we all know how well the Loft projects have done both in sales and they go up pretty fast..so that is also good.

·
Savior of Gondor
1,505 Posts
I see a lot of positive about this project. One as Dave says above it moves the skyline west which is a good thing, so it wont be just a narrow band along the bay. Two this is very affordable and that will help bring more people to the area. This building may not be the best looking or best named but its not that bad. Also we all know how well the Loft projects have done both in sales and they go up pretty fast..so that is also good.

·
Banned
33 Posts
It's great news that they are going to build another Loft building. Even though those aren't that tall, they are create much-needed high rise density in the northeastern section of downtown.

·
Registered
809 Posts
It's great news that they are going to build another Loft building. Even though those aren't that tall, they are create much-needed high rise density in the northeastern section of downtown.

And affordable for us regular joes. not every one is a multi millionaire and would like to live dt.

·
Registered
288 Posts
No parking is tough. I assume the ground floor, no view units start at $130k, but prices are probably up to $300k+ half way up the building.

·
Biscayne Corridor Realtor
930 Posts
lofty ideas

There is a parking lot 3 blocks N of the site, not the ideal set up but I think it would work for an urbanite that wants to have a part time/weekend car.

If I had hit 3 development home runs like Jorge Perez did with the loft series I would be taking advantage of that brand equity too. As far as similar designs, its got to do with economies of scale if they order 4 buildings worth of the same sized windows, doors counter tops etc is cheaper than ordering unique stuff for each building. Related are the masters of utilizing their huge buying power to their advantage.

Finally black would be gorgeous to look at but I think but not really practical energy wise because as you know black would make those units pretty toasty.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
More great news for the CBD.
People with vision bought South Beach when it was "dirty"...people without vision whined and complained and didn't buy anything.
Peopole with vision are buying the CBD now...people without vision whine and complain and don't buy anything.
It would be nice for Mr. Perez to offer the first apartment to the whiney Macy's lady who doesn't do anything to improve the nasty facade on her building.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts