SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
registered boozer
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, so i have noticed in the buffalo and rochester thread(which i frequent) that the continuous discussion of things other than building, renovation,etc(economics as well as sports and other things) has come into question.

i would like to know what people think. buffalo/rochester forumers, and all others.

are economics relevant in discussion of development news?

are politics relevant in the development news?

are sports, entertainment, blah blah blah relevant in development news?

i personally believe they are, atleast to some extent. i think they are in particular, to rochester and buffalo as their exisiting environments and current projects can be equated very closely to past and current economic conditions.

on the other hand, i recognize that this is first and foremost a development forum. should buildings and construction and discussion thereof be the primary focus or this website's forums, regardless of an areas economic problems/advantages?

:cheers:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm glad you pointed this out. You could suggest creating an "off topic" section for the northeast forum to give us a place to chat without interfering with the strictly "development news" parts. It would probably increase activity as well, so people can come back every day and discuss something different. :cheers2:

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
well, in all honesty, since upstate new york doesn't have a whole heck of a lot of construction and development (compared to the south) so i wouldn't opposed to economic new being included their threads. i guess, it's up to you guys. what do you think we should do?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I think we should talk about what happens the cities, sports (not that Rochester has any lol), building, development, projects, and yes, some economics. I mean, we can talk about new companies moving to town, companies expanding, and yeah, companies downsizing. But it has gotten so ridiculous in both the Buffalo and Rochester threads because of their trolls; Fprmer WNY'er and Susie respectively. If we can shut those people up their wouldn't be all of the drama there is now and the threads could actually be civilized conversation. With of course, a few anectodal comments now and then.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I guess it all depends on how you define development.

Is it development in the sense that we stick literally to developers' projects?

Or any news that can be pertinent to these developments, i.e. set the groundwork, in which case economic is certainly valid.

Or you could go really broad. For instance, when Springville, NY's Farmer Ben rolls his tractor over in a ditch, that's quite an interesting development which is the talk of the town for weeks.

I think if it's in context, it belongs. Without the economic/politcal climate, you don't have the development; can't have one without the other.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I wouldn't be against some sort of "Coffee Talk"(w/ Linda Richman of course!) or "skybar" thread like I've heard elsewhere.

"I'm all verklempt, talk amongst yourselves, I'll give you a topic: Duran Duran was neither Duran nor Duran. Discuss."

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
veryprotourism said:
are economics relevant in discussion of development news?
Is water relevant to wet? How can there be development without money?

veryprotourism said:
are politics relevant in the development news?
Can be... not politics as in partisan debate but politics certainly effects what gets built

veryprotourism said:
are sports, entertainment, blah blah blah relevant in development news?
Can be...all those things promote deveopment.

·
Registered
782 Posts
All are relevant but only in certain ways. For example with sports, if your city is getting a new stadium or arena then it is certainly relevant.

Starting a thread to ask who is going to a specific hockey game isn't relevant at all to 99.99 % of the Northeast formers. That is what private messages and buddies are for. Threads like that detract form what most of us come here for. That is mainly to learn about our cities develpments and to see photographs of projects and areas.

You asked so this is my never be humbled opinion. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts