Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Daniel Barenboim (an Israeli Jew who holds dual Palestinian-Israeli citizenship) the most famous Palestinian alive in the world right now?

He is one of the most famous conductors and virtuosos in the world. He is currently the principle conductor/music director of the world famous La Scala opera house in Milano, Italia.

More info about him at:
http://www.danielbarenboim.com/index.php?id=7

·
Banned
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^ of course! it's extremely possible considering that palestinians aren't ethnically arab!
Lol...then what are Palestinians if they aren't ethnically Arab? Are they also Phoenecian? :lol: But I see your point---- I've been to Palestinian villages where the people are originally from such places as Sudan, Bosnia, Syria and Turkey.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Lol...then what are Palestinians if they aren't ethnically Arab? Are they also Phoenecian? :lol: But I see your point---- I've been to Palestinian villages where the people are originally from such places as Sudan, Bosnia, Syria and Turkey.
Yes some are Phoenician mixed with arab mixed with turkish mixed with european mixed with all the other armies that came through these lands. There is a term for mixed people like them (and us) and it's Levantine, otherwise refer to people by their individual nationality and understand that when you say "arab", it has deep political connotations (ie. they're arab like all the other arabs, so they can just pack up and go live with the other arabs).
Sudan huh? Sure, it's possible that a palestinian and sudanese at some point in history married and had a child ... I would bet that it has happened multiple times. Hell just last year, I met a lebanese who was 1/4 japanese, 1/4 lebanese, 1/4 syrian and 1/4 nigerian .... and I myself am 1/8 turkish, 1/16 scottish, 1/16 moroccan jewish and the rest whatever mix it is that lebanese people are (see the definition of levantine I wrote for more on that). We mix with people regardless of race. I wasn't trying to tick you off, merely telling you the truth.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Teymani is such a troll !
I wouldn't go so far as to call him a troll, but in his culture palestinians are arabs ... lebanese are arabs .. jordanians are arabs .. egyptians are arabs. It has deep political and racial connotations that he probably didn't even know about because he grew up using those words.

Qatar Son 333, sure sudan, walaw? why not! Haven't you ever read about the nubian race in history books? They are some of the most beautiful people in the world, 2ilna el sharaf! I would be surprised if we looked at all palestinians in the world and didn't find that one of them married a sudanese.

·
Obeznany
613 Posts
why r u so surprised by this? i have heard of such a town called Jisr az-Zarqa that is home to sudanese palestinians.
Yes, I live some 5 kms from there, and yes, we like to occupy and steal. Anything else you wanted to know?

I wouldn't go so far as to call him a troll, but in his culture palestinians are arabs ... lebanese are arabs .. jordanians are arabs .. egyptians are arabs. It has deep political and racial connotations that he probably didn't even know about because he grew up using those words.
Obviously you don't, but many Lebanese and Palestinians do see themselves an Arabs, even though it is true that many of them are clearly not.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Obviously you don't, but many Lebanese and Palestinians do see themselves an Arabs, even though it is true that many of them are clearly not.
There is no strict definition of what is an Arab in most people's books. The only so-called "pure Arabs" would be those from the Gulf countries, particularly from around Yemen and southern Saudi Arabia.

Arab is a loose term now used to refer to a people who share a common language and a somewhat common culture.

The people of the Levant (Lebanon, Syria, Palestine, Jordan) are all very very similar and are distinct from those from the Gulf states (the Arabian Peninsula). North Africans are also even more distinct.

·
Registered
807 Posts
^^The Levant came under the rule of the Persian Seleucid and Sassanid Empires for several hundreds of years. The Sassanids reached as far as Egypt and I think even into parts of modern day Libya.

So yes, there is some Persian influence, but keep in mind that they are only one of many different civilizations that ruled the Levant.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts