Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family is looking to relocate somewhere warmer than Iowa! We like Texas because it seems to have a lot of the same values; family-oriented, warm, and friendly.

We've checked out several places, but are interested in finding out more about Dallas/Fort Worth. I'm just beginning my research.

We prefer to live in suburbs or outlying suburbs - just far enough away from the city - but not so far we can't easily get around.

What's the best thing, worst thing, things to look for, things to avoid? Any info you can share right now would be appreciated.

We're also looking at the Round Rock area - but, wanted to find out more about Dallas first.
Thanks!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Well, there are miles and miles of suburban areas to chose from. Are you looking for a more established suburban area or are you looking for a fast growing area that literally wasn't there last week? There are trade offs with both options.

Stay north of the 190 (Bush Turnpike), west of the 75, and east of the 35E if you're looking on the Dallas side. Generally, the closer you are to the Dallas North Tollway, the more expensive the property in Plano. The closer you are to the 75, the cheaper the property. Frisco and McKinney are BOOMING suburbs right now and their growth is starting to cross the 380 going north. You can find very nice, modestly priced, quiet neighborhoods in both cities north of the 121. The DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) Red rail line runs up to the Parker Rd. Station in Plano, so you can ride light rail into Dallas.

On the Ft. Worth side, everything is growing north as well, but the transportation hasn't kept up with the growth. 287 and 35W are nearly always clogged and the rest of the surface roads are bumper to bumper 24/7. Ft. Worth is generally preceived by many to be more family-friendly and "down home" than Dallas. The Ft. Worth Zoo and downtown's Sundance Square are the city's crown jewels.

As far as homebuilders go, most are pretty good, but stay away from KB Homes. Their homes are cheap, but so are their construction materials.

·
Registered
501 Posts
McKinney... Just few minutes drive from downtown Dallas, properties are not as expensive as those in Plano. McKinney was considered the fastest growig city in the US among cities with a population of at least 50,000.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
few minutes = hour or so in rush hour traffic.

As for those highway borders, goodness me.

My advice, look close to where you work. You'll basically find a nice suburb to live in close to your work.

·
Registered
100 Posts
few minutes = hour or so in rush hour traffic.

As for those highway borders, goodness me.

My advice, look close to where you work. You'll basically find a nice suburb to live in close to your work.
Yeah, my cousin who lives in Lewisville says the same thing.
When he moved there, it was near his job, but his new job is in Plano, and
even that commute takes close to an hour.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great!

That's very helpful. I was looking into Lewisville, McKinney, and even The Colony. They all looked pretty good. And it's good to know about the traffic.

What's the worst thing about Dallas? What are the best things?

·
Registered
754 Posts
My two cents, I wouldn't look in The Colony. The Colony is an older (early 80's?) "planned" community, but the plan has come unraveled in the past few years. The homes there are older and the general look and feel is lower to middle class...not that there's anything wrong with that. However, just to the north of The Colony is Little Elm and it is also booming with new housing developments and shopping. Parts of The Colony can get a little "shady" if you catch my drift.

A few good things about the Dallas area: most if not all of the ISD's (Independant School Districts) are very good. Plano ISD, Frisco ISD, and the McKinney ISD are get good marks. You'll never get bored. There is always a festival, new restaurant, sporting event, concert, etc. happening. There is no state income tax in Texas!! Nearly every major construction job (schools, roads, etc.) here is either finished ahead of schedule or under budget, or both. DFW Int'l Airport is the 3rd busiest airport in the world meaning you can catch a direct flight to just about anywhere you need to go...as long as you don't mind flying American Airlines. The job market in Dallas-Ft. Worth is always one of the best in the country and the area is lucky to have a very diverse economy. I believe the largest employers in the area are (and this is in no particular order): American Airlines, JCPenny, EDS, Texas Instruments, Wal-Mart, Frito Lay, and Southwest Airlines.

A few not so good things about the area: Sprawl is an issue and it's not getting any better. The summers here are brutal, but our winters are generally pleasant with only about 5 days where we get below freezing. Crime is a serious issue in the city of Dallas, but it is usually confined to certain pockets of the city. There is a lack of "outdoors" activities in the area due to our geographic location. No mountains, no beach, but there are plenty of area lakes.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Oh, and kiss your basement goodbye!

·
Registered
100 Posts
There is no state income tax in Texas!!
That's one reason TX & FL are areas I'm strongly considering, if I have to move next year.

One downside is that Texas does have very high property taxes, in some cases 3 % or more annually, which will be a major sticker shock from me, since I'm used to half a percent in Tuscaloosa, AL city (It's just 1/4 % for those in unincorporated Tuscaloosa County ).

Dallas-area rates: http://www.dfwbuynewhomes.com/dfw_propertytax.htm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks!

You're great - that is really what I was looking for. I'll miss a basement - but, I won't miss the wind chill, snow, ice, and pot holes!
Thanks again -

·
Texas-NoVA
2,265 Posts
Before you settle in Dallas, you need to know it can get chilly there. Certainly not to the level of Indiana. But at times, wind chills can dip into the low 20s and sometimes mid- upper teens. It can also snow at times but it melts 1 or 2 days later and most of the snow is 2 inches if that.

·
Registered
222 Posts
^ I don't think you realize how cold the Midwest gets in the wintertime. 20 degrees above zero ain't shit compared to what they go through.

·
Texas-NoVA
2,265 Posts
^ I don't think you realize how cold the Midwest gets in the wintertime. 20 degrees above zero ain't shit compared to what they go through.

I do realize what they go though as I've lived in Chicago the past few years to experience it. I also thought I made that clear when I said that it certainly isn't not to the level of where he was from. Just telling him that he will experience some chilly weather at times whether you grew up in Canada or in Jamaica.

·
~Friend of the People~
226 Posts
No disrespect, Dallas is a beautifull area, But you have to admit there might be some better places in Texas that are more family friendlier than Dallas
Like Killeen or Amarillo. Im just saying. Keep doing your research because its alot different than Iowa. Im guessing

·
Registered
754 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
i wouldnt do it, due to the increase of crime rate
I'm guessing you're not from here nor have spent any significant amount of time here, so stop posting unintelligent responses to a subject you know nothing about.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts