SkyscraperCity banner

2061 - 2080 of 6711 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,061
I had to smile when I passed the Quayside former CUSTOM HOUSE to see that the brass plate for the present residents shows CUSTOMS HOUSE, yes with an S. So I'm not the only one who gets the name wrong but I do accept that it shouldn't have a S :)

I cannot remember what that brass plate (that is there at the front door of 39 Quayside now) actually says, though I have seen it.

If they are using the name as part of their 'name plate' (which would surprise me, as I thought they were calling 39 Quayside Trinity Chambers now) then they would be correct to add an "s" (or anything else they want) as they cannot legally call it Custom House - because it isn't one.

That is the same reason the theatre in South Shields is called what it is.

If the brass plate (you saw) is only 'referring to' the former use of the building, then I am surprised they got it wrong, as when they first moved in (in 2004) they put up a brass plaque that got it right!!!

The Journal, November 10th 2004 . .

·
Part Time Contributor
43,322 Posts
I cannot remember what that brass plate (that is there at the front door of 39 Quayside now) actually says, though I have seen it.

If they are using the name as part of their 'name plate' (which would surprise me, as I thought they were calling 39 Quayside Trinity Chambers now) then they would be correct to add an "s" (or anything else they want) as they cannot legally call it Custom House - because it isn't one.

That is the same reason the theatre in South Shields is called what it is.

If the brass plate (you saw) is only 'referring to' the former use of the building, then I am surprised they got it wrong, as when they first moved in (in 2004) they put up a brass plaque that got it right!!!
To use a local expression 'Well I'll go to the top of our stairs' - you are of course quite correct NH, but I still have this very vivid thought in my head of a pale blue oval shaped sign with the occupants name etc on it, so it must have been in a dream. Must mention it when I next see my psychiatrist :nuts:

I was so intrigued by this evidence of onset dementia that I've just returned from the Quayside and here is the evidence that I was gibbering like a mad man!

·
Super Moderator
22,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,063
^^

Good work Steve!!

When we closed our Headquarters at 39 Quayside down in 1998 (sadly, it was my job to do that) it went against everything I believed in, but I had no choice.

We moved to a 1960s building at Regent Centre, and I was the only person who could see the value in trying to preserve at least 'a tiny bit' of our long history at 39 Quayside. We had been there since April 1765, when it had been specifically built for our use.

Many people around me thought I was mad (they were probably right!) but I saved as many of the old Artefacts from the Cellar and places around the old building as I could (as I could periodically get in my car) and was able to find a short stretch of wall-space in our new building at Regent Centre and set up a (very) small museum.

The first photo (below) shows the full extent of the tiny space I was able to get (!!) and the second photo - which is the reason I am posting this - shows that in the left hand cupboard of the 'Museum', is our original Brass Plaque from the front entrance to Custom House!

On the very last day, in 1998, I (and a friend with a screwdriver) went out and took the front entrance brass sign down, so that it is forever preserved in the Museum (I hope) . . .

·
Part Time Contributor
43,322 Posts
^^

Good work Steve!!

When we closed our Headquarters at 39 Quayside down in 1998 (sadly, it was my job to do that) it went against everything I believed in, but I had no choice.

We moved to a 1960s building at Regent Centre, and I was the only person who could see the value in trying to preserve at least 'a tiny bit' of our long history at 39 Quayside. We had been there since April 1765, when it had been specifically built for our use.

Many people around me thought I was mad (they were probably right!) but I saved as many of the old Artefacts from the Cellar and places around the old building as I could (as I could periodically get in my car) and was able to find a short stretch of wall-space in our new building at Regent Centre and set up a (very) small museum.

The first photo (below) shows the full extent of the tiny space I was able to get (!!) and the second photo - which is the reason I am posting this - shows that in the left hand cupboard of the 'Museum', is our original Brass Plaque from the front entrance to Custom House!

On the very last day, in 1998, I (and a friend with a screwdriver) went out and took the front entrance brass sign down, so that it is forever preserved in the Museum (I hope) . . .
[/IMG]
Well lets hope the artefacts stay with the Department if and when HMRC move out of Regent Centre.

We had an office in Silverlink for a good few years, nothing like the length of time C&E had in Custom House of course, but I collared the name plate when it closed and have it on my office wall as a reminder of some happy times.
Silverlink was great for me as I could be there in less than 5 minutes and how we managed to get an office there has a bit of a story attached to it.
This was in the days when Government purse strings were a lot looser than they are these days and we had to get out of Eagle Star House in Regent Centre as being only 8 people we had been squatting in an existing IR office. Anyway we were asked to find our own accommodation and as 4 of the team lived on the coast, we chose Silverlink. Hard to think that sort of automomy would happen in today's Civil Service :eek:hno:

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
BBC Domesday Reloaded

I feel this is worth it's own thread. If not please feel free to merge as appropriate.

In 1986 the BBC launched an ambitious project to record a snapshot of everyday life across the UK for future generations. A million volunteers took part…

Now, 25 years later you can explore the archive online, see the pictures, update the information and make your mark on this fascinating record of our collective history

Having looked through the site you can get a great feel of what it would have been like living in those times (i'm 29 and I would have been 5). you also get some brilliant photos of times

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/domesday

LATER EDIT - This post was left as a separate thread for a while (as mentioned above) but obtained no responses. It is likely to flourish better - with its 'historical' nature and context - as a part of the well-read Historic Newcastle thread. (NH/Moderator).

·
Super Moderator
22,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,066
At various times on this thread, and also on the 'Transport' and 'Books' threads, it has been suggested that it is a pity that we ever did away with the clean and quiet Trolley Bus Service, in Newcastle.

They were finally taken out of service by 1965/66, but even years later in 1988 there were already calls to bring them back . . .

·
Super Moderator
22,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,067
Although not Jewish myself. I recently discovered that the house I grew up in was built on the site of a former synagogue in Gloucester Street, Elswick. Does anyone have any information or photographs of this perhaps.

Also St John's Cemetery in Elswick has a huge Jewish section, this would seem to indicate there was once a large Jewish population in that area. Again any information would be welcome.

The above question, posed on the Questions thread, was thoroughly answered on that thread, but I am using it simply to introduce the below article that is on the BBC News Tyne & Wear Website, today.

The historical subjects of Jewish Graveyards, Synagogue Locations, and history of the Jewish people in the North East generally, have all been well covered on this forum of late.

If you look in the INDEX, you will find a fair number of links to those discussions.

This is todays article . . .

North East Jewish community fades
BBC News, Tyne & Wear Website, 17th May 2011

The Jewish community in the North East of England is shrinking, according to Rabbi Dovid Lewis, who has led the United Hebrew Synagogue in the Gosforth area of Newcastle since 2004.

Many synagogues have closed across the North East - those that are left have an ageing congregation and few children.

Rabbi Dovid and his wife are about to move to Manchester to take up a position in a much larger and more vibrant congregation.

He said: "We're in our 30s and we've still got 30 or 40 years worth of work left within us and we were looking for a community which is younger.

"The community that we're going to has got an average age of 40, there are 150 primary school children, as opposed to the 10 in Newcastle, it was the next step, that unfortunately we had to take."

Many synogogues across the North East have closed over the years as many Jews have moved to Manchester and London.

Rabbi Dovid said: "The Jewish community in the North East is shrinking. It wasn't so long ago there were synagogues dotted all around the North East... and the community is slowly but surely contracting."

Read More - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-13414672

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
However the Orthodox community in Gateshead is thriving.

The average number of children per couple is 11.

The Newcastle community has been declining for decades now and of course the only reason the Gateshead Jews are there is because they left the Newcastle brethren because of disillusionment several years ago.

·
13,034 Posts
However the Orthodox community in Gateshead is thriving.

The average number of children per couple is 11.

The Newcastle community has been declining for decades now and of course the only reason the Gateshead Jews are there is because they left the Newcastle brethren because of disillusionment several years ago.
Like many religions Judaism has many threads, and they don't always mix too well. Not a great comparison but a Glaswegian, Rangers supporting protestant might not be flavour of the month 'down the Catholic club'.

The Gateshead community is almost exclusively Ashkenazi [ultra] Orthodox which makes it unusual in the UK. In addition because of the number of Yeshiva the population changes hugely in and out of term time.

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
Merleb is that statement about the average number of children per Jewish couple based on evidence and if so could we know the source?
Without saying too much I can tell you that I have worked closely with the Jewish Community in Gateshead for a few years and I am speaking from personal experience.

It is rare for a Jewish mother to have fewer than 8 children. Many, many families have 14 or 15 children.

Also Gateshead attracts Orthodox Jews from all around the world as, to put it crudely, it is their version of Oxford University as regards Talmudical and Rabbinical Studies.

·
13,034 Posts
Without saying too much I can tell you that I have worked closely with the Jewish Community in Gateshead for a few years and I am speaking from personal experience.

It is rare for a Jewish mother to have fewer than 8 children. Many, many families have 14 or 15 children.

Also Gateshead attracts Orthodox Jews from all around the world as, to put it crudely, it is their version of Oxford University as regards Talmudical and Rabbinical Studies.
I would say that this is probably correct, certainly amongst the ultra orthodox community, though I couldn't support it with 'firm' evidence.

The area is a centre of Jewish learning - though it ain't got the charm of Oxford :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
I feel this is worth it's own thread. If not please feel free to merge as appropriate.

In 1986 the BBC launched an ambitious project to record a snapshot of everyday life across the UK for future generations. A million volunteers took part…

Now, 25 years later you can explore the archive online, see the pictures, update the information and make your mark on this fascinating record of our collective history

Having looked through the site you can get a great feel of what it would have been like living in those times (i'm 29 and I would have been 5). you also get some brilliant photos of times

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/domesday

LATER EDIT - This post was left as a separate thread for a while (as mentioned above) but obtained no responses. It is likely to flourish better - with its 'historical' nature and context - as a part of the well-read Historic Newcastle thread. (NH/Moderator).

Some great pics on there, I've been trying to find a pic of the interior of the Central Station in the mid 80s showing WHSmiths when it was at right angles to where it is now and in a wooden building and finally I found it! Can't remember those yellow egg-like information booths though.

Pity the pics don't get much bigger though, there's some good landscape shots of Hexham but they only tantalise due to not being able to zoom in too far :eek:hno:

F

·
Registered
554 Posts
Here is the link to said Central Station pic:

Source - http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/domesday/dblock/GB-424000-561000/picture/1

Looks pretty cramped in that corner, no idea why they had it that way. The old booking office, now WH Smiths, seems to not be in use as it looks as if that yellow booth is right up against the door.

I've no idea why they blocked off that way along to Left Luggage and what is now bike racks, seems a weird thing to do in such a large and expansive station.

It wasn't much better on the other side of the bridge as that was where the god-awful wooden toilet block used to be so it would've been a circuitous route to get from the ticket offices to what used to be the old platforms 11,12,13 and Left Luggage etc.

Don't know how long that was like that, I know by Jan 1988 that WH Smiths was where it is now and that wooden building was gone, pretty sure the yellow "egg" information booths were gone too.

I've often wondered what occupied or occupies the many rooms in the actual building of the central station, has it ever been fully occupied?

Was it a bit like a mall, full of stalls and cafes etc?

I know there was a Pullmans lounge, obviously the old booking office was where WH Smiths is now and there was Left Luggage further down and during the 80s and 90s a parcel office near that but how about the other rooms? What was the Centurion bar?

F

·
Part Time Contributor
43,322 Posts
I wonder if anyone on here can asnwer a question we have been debating at my place of work today...

Having seen the photos posted on the BBC website of Team Valley today, we were wondering where it is that the culvert actually runs after going under the A1 at the south end on its way towards the Tyne...

Does anyone on here know or have maps/photos that show this?

Thanks,

Jon
Its the River Team - this information from Wikipedia @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Team

River Team
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The River Team is a tributary of the River Tyne in Gateshead, England.

Its source is near Annfield Plain, where it is known as Kyo Burn. Then changing its name again to Causey Burn as it flows underneath the famous Causey Arch. It then flows past Beamish Museum in County Durham (where it is known as Beamish Burn) then crosses the border into Gateshead flowing through Lamesley. Continuing on into the Team Valley, the river flows through a culvert in the middle of the roundabout underneath the A1 road, it then continues through the Team Valley Trading Estate through a covered culvert, before emerging to the surface half way along.

It then flows through the site of the 1990 National Garden Festival, before finally discharging into the River Tyne in Dunston. This area is known as Teams, after the river.

The River Team has long been regarded as one of the most polluted rivers in the area due to the discharges from Sewage works near Lamesley and heavy industry in the Team Valley. It is called "The Gut" by the residents of Dunston. However considerable improvements have now been made and the river is relatively clean.

Prior to the last Ice Age, the lower part of the River Team actually formed the lower part of the River Wear, with a combined Tyne-Wear river continuing to the coast from Dunston. The ice diverted the River Wear to its current course towards the coast at Sunderland, with the smaller River Team flowing along its former course towards the River Tyne.
There are a few photographs on Google Images, so do a search there.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The old first class waiting room. The tiles were covered over and 'lost' for years
Thanks. Is that different than Pullmans? I remember when they brought that back a while ago it seemed to be in that same area, maybe a bit closer to the main door.

Very posh for first class, worth the extra money anyway!

F

·
Super Moderator
22,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,079 (Edited)
Historic Local First Day Covers.
Part Twenty One

This 21st 'Local Commemorative Cover' commemorates the Centenary of the Diocese of Newcastle, in 1982.

It was issued on St Nicholas Day, 6th December 1982.

The 'Diocese of Newcastle', created in 1882, was detached from the Diocese of Durham, which up until 1882 stretched from the Tees to the Tweed. It was created as part of the Church of Englands response to the many problems and opportunities presented by the huge new populations developing in the major Cities of England, caused by the impact of the Industrial Revolution.

NB - A complete list of all the 'Local Commemorative First Day Covers' in this series, is now listed on the INDEX Thread under the letter "F" (First Day Covers) with direct links to the post containing each individual cover - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=59320861&postcount=7

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
It's the long, high brick wall on the north side of Quality Row with the scrapyard behind it. Quite a number of the bricks are stamped with a crude image of a king's head and the date 1935, to celebrate the silver jubilee of George V in 1935; and as Steve points out, on others you can see the imprints of hobnails made by the boots of brick kiln workers.

2061 - 2080 of 6711 Posts