SkyscraperCity banner

481 - 500 of 6695 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
subject change

Does anyone know the history of the Emmerson Cambers building on Blackett Street, which is my favourite building in the town.

I can remember going with my nana to have photo's developed at Turners.

My mam also seems to think at some stage there was a chinese restaurant in the basement but she can't remember the name.

·
21,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #483 (Edited)
Does anyone know the history of the emerson chambers building on blacket st which is my favourite building in the town,i can remember going with my nana to have photo's developed at Turners,but my mam seems to think at some stage there was a chinese restaurant in the basement but she can't remember the name.
There was a Chinese Restaurant in the basement of Emerson Chambers for about twenty years or so. It was there into the 1980s, and was (I think!) called the "Sunrise Chinese Restaurant". I went there a fair few times in the early 80s, usually at lunchtimes in between the pubs shutting at 3.00 pm and not opening again until 5.30 pm! As I say, it was in the basement, that became the basement of Dillons Bookshop, before Dillons were taken over by Waterstones.

I have a (vague) memory of a rectagular white sign above the doorway, with a yellow 'crescent' in the middle at the bottom of the sign (representing the 'sunrise') and the words . . surprisingly . . "Sunrise Chinese Restaurant" above the yellow crescent.

Of course, I may have imagined all that, it was the 80s after all!! (hmmm).

I will look for a photo . . BOUND to have one somewhere!

EDIT - 16th JANUARY 2010 . . .

I have found (at last!) a LITTLE something on the 'Sunrise Chinese Restaurant'. It's not as clear as I would like, but at least it is something!

Interesting photo as well, showing the big changes that were taking place in that area of the City Centre during the early to mid 1970s period, with the demolition of the YMCA building and High Friar Street "still happening" as the photo is taken . .

·
Southeast Geordie
640 Posts
Does anyone know the history of the emerson chambers building on blacket st which is my favourite building in the town,i can remember going with my nana to have photo's developed at Turners,but my mam seems to think at some stage there was a chinese restaurant in the basement but she can't remember the name.
I agree it is a nice building .. it was built at the turn of the century I believe (1900-1905) and was originaly opened as a 'themed' restaurant for local Brewer Robert Emerson it also sold high class Fur Coats from the ground floor.

and I remember that restaurant NH ... i'm sure I have some info on it somewhere .. will also have a hunt around :cheers:

·
OneWorld
383 Posts
Historic Cinemas of Newcastle . . .
No. 2 - The Queens Hall / The Queens / Queens Cinerama.

The evolution of the name of this major Newcastle cinema, is shown above. The Queens Hall opened to the public on 9th September 1913, situated along the quiet and narrow side street (off Northumberland Street) called Northumberland Place. That little side street is still there, it now leads to Princess Square and the City Library. Externally, Queens Hall was no architectural masterpiece (no-one could really see it, up that narrow alleyway, anyway) but inside it was very luxurious.

Not as 'ornate' as the later-built Paramount/Odeon on nearby Pilgrim Street, but still Newcastle's TOP cinema . .

A very RARE long-view of The Queens, only possible for a short while in 1970, when the old 'Pearl Assurance' building was demolished, and before the new 1970s (current) 'Pearl Assurance House' was built. This is actually a quite HISTORIC photo, as in it you can ALSO see a 'partially constructed' view of the new John Dobson Street flats, Bewick Court . .

The crowds 'flock' to see PSYCHO (Alfred Hitchcock) at the Queens Hall in 1960 . .

At some point, the Queens Hall started to become known just as The Queens and by the late 1950s it had become established as Newcastle's TOP cinema. All the "long runs" played there and you had to 'book' a seat to attend, just like at the Theatre! At all other cinemas of the day, showing short-run 'continuous performances' of double-bills, you just paid at the door and could stay in as long as you wanted that day, all day! I can remember my older sister telling me years later about going to the Queens to see the musical South Pacific. That film set the record for a 'long-run' of a film in Newcastle, as it was on at The Queens for eighty one consecutive weeks. It ran from 22nd September 1958 to 9th April 1960.

The official name change (that I remember) took place in 1963, when I was just a 'cinema-loving' child. In that year the Queens was closed for five months to be transformed into the QUEENS CINERAMA THEATRE, though I remember it still kept advertising itself - and the building works progress - every day in the Evening Chronicle film adverts section, just as it did when it was open!

The 'old' Queens Hall, as seen above, is about to be replaced in 1963, by the huge/massive and very modern "Queens Cinerama" . .

I was a bit of a film fan as a kid, and I was there on the last day it was open as a 'normal' cinema, when it showed the John Wayne film, Red River (what a GREAT film that was, by the way!) and I went in the first week it opened as a "Cinerama" cinema in November 1963, showing the (also John Wayne) film How the West Was Won.

Three 1960s "Film Programmes" (that were always sold at the Queens when it was showing its big long-run movies) from some CINERAMA films I went to see at the Queens . .

Two great views inside the "Queens Cinerama", as originally posted on the MetroCentre IMAX thread, as part of the discussion on relative 'screen sizes'. How BIG was that screen!! . .

Then on January 3rd 2010, Funkydory replied, as follows . . .

A view looking the other way (away from the screen) of the much modernised post-1963 Queens Cinerama . .

SOME 'QUEENS CINEMA' MEMORABILLIA . .

On 8th May 1971, I remember meeting two friends at the bottom of Northumberland Street, to go to the (pre-booked) evening performance of the film, WATERLOO, at the Queens. In the Film Programme from the day, I still have the three ticket stubs! . .

In the 'flyer' from the film that day, you can see that you had to book your seats at the "Advance Booking Office" (the only cinema in Newcastle where you had to do that in those days) and that the EXPENSIVE prices . . don't look very expensive nowadays!! . .

The Queens Cinerama retained its status as the premier/long-runs cinema in Newcastle, up until it closed in 1980, though by then it was being managed as a subsidiary of the nearby Odeon.

It was demolished and replaced in the early 1980s by one of two little "quaint shopping" areas new at that time (the other being Leazes Arcade) called "Queens Square". See - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=46492397&postcount=76 (on the "Newcastle General Knowledge" thread).

Goodbye to 'The Queens' . . looking very sad in its partly demolished state, in 1983 . .

NH, thankyou for my SSC link in your posting. May i have permission to link in THIS post to our worldwide site on Cinerama.topcities? I will mail the owner separately to ensure every courtesy details are included.

·
21,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #486
NH, thankyou for my SSC link in your posting. May i have permission to link in THIS post to our worldwide site on Cinerama.topcities? I will mail the owner separately to ensure every courtesy details are included.
funkydory you certainly have my permission to do that.

I am pleased that you like the above post, it took a fair bit of work to get all the information together in one place, to post on SSC. When/if this gets posted on Cinerama.topcities I would appreciate if you post a LINK back to that site, on here? 'Full-circle', so to speak!

Newcastle Cinema No. 1 was the Paramount/Odeon on Pilgrim Street, and I have a few thoughts about "No. 3", but I think I'll leave it a while yet!

·
Registered
49 Posts
cinema 3

hope its the haymarket,went there to see jaws 3D when i was a boy,can remember it having a proper balcony and everything.
Then they pulled it down for a carpark!, idiots.
Also do you know of the Tatler cinema at the top of northumberland st?.

·
OneWorld
383 Posts

I am pleased that you like the above post, it took a fair bit of work to get all the information together in one place, to post on SSC. When/if this gets posted on Cinerama.topcities I would appreciate if you post a LINK back to that site, on here? 'Full-circle', so to speak!

Newcastle Cinema No. 1 was the Paramount/Odeon on Pilgrim Street, and I have a few thoughts about "No. 3", but I think I'll leave it a while yet!
Its a deal NH!:)

I need your help in uploading my own photos since SSC doesn't have a Photobucket upload form (does it??)

Which of the e-mail and IM/Direct Link/HTML Code/IMG Code options do I use?

In any case, prepare for a few false starts!:lol:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts

I enjoyed it too thanks Historian. I see that pathetic Arcade there every time I walk past but have zero reason to enter. It's great to know what used to be there but immensely sad that its gone forever.

·
21,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #490
I enjoyed it too thanks Historian. I see that pathetic Arcade there every time I walk past but have zero reason to enter. It's great to know what used to be there but immensely sad that its gone forever.
Thanks for your comments, hollow!

When you say that (above in bold) it really 'brings home' to me, that we used to have a really great place there (a "Cinerama" Cinema, for goodness sake - with a LONG history, even before becoming Cinerama) where thousands of people had many great times . . . and it has all just been (needlessly) 'destroyed'.

Now, here in 2010, a lot of people, probably even people who 'care about' our city . . don't know that the Queens even existed, in the exact place where that "pathetic arcade" (I agree!) now is.

As you say, immensely sad.

·
21,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #491
Wow... That's another mammouth post NH!

I really do think that this site/board is going to end up being a massive source/store of information on Tyneside.
Thanks Anger . . glad you enjoyed it!

I agree, I think that this place is well on the way to becoming a prime source of reference material, for 'all things Newcastle'.

·
21,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #492
hope its the haymarket,went there to see jaws 3D when i was a boy,can remember it having a proper balcony and everything.
Then they pulled it down for a carpark!, idiots.
Also do you know of the Tatler cinema at the top of northumberland st?.
Maybe, maybe . . . !!

ABC Haymarket was another great place, had many good times there. If not "No. 3", then probably "No. 4".

Eventually . . .

(PS - Yes, the Tatler, is now the office block next to the (Haymarket Hub) Metro Station. That place had S O M E history . boy, did it not!)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Brilliant post. Do you have ny pictures/articles on the Warner Brothers cinema and the old Odeon in Monkseaton. They are the cinemas from my childhood era which i would often visit because that is all there really was (apart from the odeon on PS)

·
21,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #494
Brilliant post. Do you have ny pictures/articles on the Warner Brothers cinema and the old Odeon in Monkseaton. They are the cinemas from my childhood era which i would often visit because that is all there really was (apart from the odeon on PS)
Warner Brothers - yes, very interesting. I have newspaper articles and stuff from when it opened. I will cover that one, down the line . . at some point!

Odeon Monkseaton might be more of a problem . . we'll see!

·
21,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #495 (Edited)
Love that newspaper shot down the alley,do you know where it led to?

Do you think the wall pictured is the side wall of the laing?.
Interesting question brybat!

In the pre-John Dobson Street days, when the newspaper photo you mention was taken, the old Central Library (not the LAST one, built in 1968 and just demolished . . the 'one before that') was still there, before you get to the Laing. See the below photo of that Central Library (the big building with all the pillars) which is where John Dobson Street comes out now.

Also, there are two churches in that photo. The farthest one away (the 'Presbyterian Chapel') had long been demolished to make way for part of the OLD Pearl Assurance building (that was to be knocked down, itself, for the current white 'Pearl Assurance House' in 1970) but the 'nearest' church was still there in the 1960s, I think.

This church was eventually knocked down in (about) 1966/67, to make way for the 'new' 1968 Central Library, which in a more recent photo of Northumberland Place, would be where the building you are asking about is, in that newspaper photo. That church was called the 'Unitarian Chapel'.

You can actually see that happening in this next photo, as the 'Unitarian Chapel' has gone and a new building is being built there. That new building is the 1968 Central library (now recently demolished itself) and you can see that the old (VERY old) Central Library is still there, until John Dobson Street is built through where it is, after the new 1968 library is up and running.

So, to answer your question, I think the building you see at the end of Northumberland Place in that 1960 'newspaper photo' (Psycho) must be the side wall of the 'Unitarian Chapel'.

Study the whole sequence of events and photos above, and let me know if you agree, brybat!

·
Southeast Geordie
640 Posts
great photo's NH .. and I think it also demostrates clearly the 'dirt' that has accumulated over the years on the old central library.

I have to say that it was a most impressive building and such a shame it was lost to the 'god awful' John Dobson St. I'm sure JD would turn in his grave if he actually saw the street that was named after him. :bash:

·
Registered
49 Posts
library

Im sure your right historian,so in your last picture of the old library is that the replacement library being built in the background?
And in the first much older (but fantastic) picture with the churches in it is that pic pre laing or is the gallery out of shot to the right?,just trying to get my bearings.

·
21,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #498 (Edited)
Im sure your right historian,so in your last picture of the old library is that the replacement library being built in the background?
And in the first much older (but fantastic) picture with the churches in it is that pic pre laing or is the gallery out of shot to the right?,just trying to get my bearings.
Yes, that new building being built (in the last picture) is the 1968 new Central Library (now recently demolished itself) and John Dobson Street will (shortly after that photo was taken) then be built through where the old '19th Century' Central Library is in the photo, after the new 1968 library is up and running.

In both pictures, the 'location' of the Laing is 'off to the right', but in the older photo (which is actually dated circa 1895) the Laing had not yet been built, see below . .

THE ORIGINS / BUILDING, OF THE LAING ART GALLERY, from their own website, as listed in "Section 7" of our (Sticky) WEBSITES thread . . .

The Laing Art Gallery is situated in the heart of Newcastle upon Tyne, only five minutes from its busy shopping district. It was founded in 1901 by Alexander Laing, a Scottish wine and spirit merchant who wanted to give something back to the city in which he had made his Fortune.

When the city's first public gallery opened its doors, the exhibition was so popular that the police had to be called to tame the crowds. Over the following century it has had many popular exhibitions, which visitors have queued to see.

The present site of the Gallery was suggested in 1899 and the following year Alexander Laing offered £20,000 to the local council, which unanimously accepted his generous donation.

When the foundation stone was laid in 1901 by Mrs Watson-Armstrong there was much jubilation and a celebratory lunch at the Great Assembly Rooms (now the building housing the Ikon nightclub.) It was opened three years later by Viscount Ridley on October 13 1904 having cost Alexander Laing 50 per cent more than the original estimate.

Incidentally, the street that ran alongside the 'Unitarian Chapel' (from New Bridge Street northwards) that you can see in front of the chapel at the end of Northumberland Place, in the "Psycho newspaper photo", was called Princess Street. Hence the name of the square that was built where that street used to run, is (as we know) Princess Square!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Brilliant photo's NH

Am i right in assuming that the building to the left (in the first photo) is roughly where the Newcastle Building Society is????

·
21,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #500 (Edited)
Brilliant photo's NH

Am i right in assuming that the building to the left (in the first photo) is roughly where the Newcastle Building Society is????
Yes, that building is exactly where you say it is (was) and that very building just happened to (eventually) become MY "in-town Local" pub, for most of the 1980s, called THE BURTON HOUSE. It was next to the Newcastle BBC building (until they moved to the 'Pink Palace' at Spital Tongues/Fenham Barracks, where they are now). The BBC building was built in 1825, by Dobson who designed it as a 'lying in' Hospital, which it was for many years until the BBC took it over. The Lying In Hospital was a charitable provision for married women. It catered for the latter stages of pregnancy and childbirth.

I think I spent more time in the Burton House there (through the 1980s, along with The Portland next door) than I spent at home!

I had a lot of good friends in there, including the bar staff and managers, one of whom was the Bill Mitchell I mentioned on the DIVERSION thread, who gave me my two missing copies of Diversion!

Here are some photos (to compare with the one you are referring to) showing The Burton House (and also the Portland) in relation to the BBC building.

The Burton House building, at roughly the same angle as the photo you refer to (it has "Newcastle Ales" written on the side) with (also) The Portland in the foreground next to the BSM building . .

Looking from the 'other angle', the Burton House buildings are on the right, the Portland on the left, and the BBC building in the middle. Note, the Portland has now had its top floor "chopped off" (it was in a dangerously delapidated state!) . .

The new 'Newcastle Building Society' buildings now surround the former-BBC building. NOTE, this photo was taken before the BLUE CARPET was built (or should we say, LAID?) . .

481 - 500 of 6695 Posts