SkyscraperCity banner

6641 - 6660 of 6674 Posts

·
Part Time Contributor
43,264 Posts
That s roughly where I remember the market, albeit covered [I think] and to the right of the image [set off the road]
Old Green Market

Yes that's the Green Market - fruit and vegetables were sold there. Not the one that was built as part of Eldon Square Shopping Centre.

Some images from the Newcastle City Libraries Archive Collection of Flickr:

036467:Green Market Newcastle upon Tyne Unknown c.1890

Type : Lantern Slide Description : A view of the Green Market Newcastle upon Tyne taken c.1890. The photograph shows a street market with stalls selling fruit vegetables and flowers. There are buildings behind the stalls.

015468:Green Market Clayton Street/St. Andrew's Street/Newgate Street Newcastle upon Tyne Signey James 1966

Type : Photograph Medium : Print-black-and-white Description : A view of the Green Market Clayton Street/St. Andrew's Street Newgate Street Newcastle upon Tyne taken in 1966. The photograph has been taken from Newgate Street looking up one of the aisles of the Green Market which is lined with fruit vegetable and flower stalls

058389:Grainger Market Clayton Street/St. Andrew's Street/Newgate Street Newcastle upon Tyne Unknown 1908

Type : Lantern Slide Description : A view of the Green Market Clayton Street/St. Andrew's Street Newgate Street Newcastle upon Tyne 1908

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Pudding Chare

A view of Pudding Chare, Newcastle upon Tyne at different times in history, courtesy of the Jack and Geoff Phillips Photographic Collection. Ye Olde Lord Collingwood, established 1866. In the later image it is the garage of Thomson House.

View attachment 63869
Assume this is St. John St. / Pudding Chare corner?

The Dutch style gables in your photograph go with the Dutch gables as seen below (screenshot from googlemaps).

Nice little relic of a former age.

Incedentally, Is there any history to the gap site on the left of this pic, where the blue hoardings are? I wander why it has never been developed.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Assume this is St. John St. / Pudding Chare corner?

The Dutch style gables in your photograph go with the Dutch gables as seen below (screenshot from googlemaps).
View attachment 65863

Nice little relic of a former age.

Incedentally, Is there any history to the gap site on the left of this pic, where the blue hoardings are? I wander why it has never been developed.

Site before demolition.

Cheers
GBDT

·
Part Time Contributor
43,264 Posts
Gallowgate Baths & Washouse

Gallowgate Baths & Washouse - not a swimming pool but somewhere you went to take a bath to wash yourself, commonly known as a slipper bath. Closed in the 1970's and was a car park until the current Welbar House was built. Photographs Jack and Geoff Phillips Photographic Collection - colour image mine

·
12,571 Posts
So I didn't want to reply til I was sure but..

Old Green Market

Yes that's the Green Market - fruit and vegetables were sold there. Not the one that was built as part of Eldon Square Shopping Centre.

Some images from the Newcastle City Libraries Archive Collection of Flickr:
Type : Photograph Medium : Print-black-and-white Description : A view of the Green Market Clayton Street/St. Andrew's Street Newgate Street Newcastle upon Tyne taken in 1966. The photograph has been taken from Newgate Street looking up one of the aisles of the Green Market which is lined with fruit vegetable and flower stalls

the couple centre left are my grandparents.

Ran it past Aunt in Canada who was pretty sure, finally showed to mother today who went into full 'seen a ghost' mode. So wow and thanks Steve. The thing that made me think twice was that they were together - which sounds odd unless you knew my grandparents......

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I have fond memories of going to the Empire regularly with my family during the 1950s and seeing many excellent artistes and quite a few not so excellent ones.

·
Idle waster.
hard work.
1,229 Posts
Hope this is ok, please move or delete if not,it does say in the thread title " even stories"!

I was on a Facebook group I belong to about Gosforth and I asked if anyone had any pictures of the house I was born in , 5 Ebba walk Gosforth.

Later that day someone sent me a link and I had a tour of the house I left aged 1 in 1962! It's up for sale. Here is the link

I was born in the front room, midwife called Gwen Simpson who lived on Church road. I can't see any sign in the video of a plaque commemorating my birth....

Amazing those houses are still up, and even more amazing the price!

Gosforth was in Northumberland then, as it still is in my mind.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,264 Posts
Hope this is ok, please move or delete if not,it does say in the thread title " even stories"!

I was on a Facebook group I belong to about Gosforth and I asked if anyone had any pictures of the house I was born in , 5 Ebba walk Gosforth.

Later that day someone sent me a link and I had a tour of the house I left aged 1 in 1962! It's up for sale. Here is the link

I was born in the front room, midwife called Gwen Simpson who lived on Church road. I can't see any sign in the video of a plaque commemorating my birth....

Amazing those houses are still up, and even more amazing the price!

Gosforth was in Northumberland then, as it still is in my mind.
Very few pre-fabs still survive in Newcastle - I wonder given their construction whether a mortgage would be easy to obtain. (non standard construction).

·
Part Time Contributor
43,264 Posts
Blackett Street

A view of Blackett Street, Newcastle upon Tyne from the Jack and Geoff Phillips Photographic Collection, date unknown. A trolley bus in view so I suppose that would date it to somewhere between the 1930's and 1960's - a pretty wide window I know.😉

·
12,571 Posts
Trying to place that building - initially with the apparent entry to the left I assumed Broad Chare but I can't see anything which has that shape of window - stone windowsill and curved brick top. Any steer on the date or location?

6641 - 6660 of 6674 Posts