SkyscraperCity banner

6681 - 6696 of 6696 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
"I visited Elswick cemetery the other day" Not a lot of people know that this is (unofficially) the oldest cemetery around as it contains a prehistoric burial mound. This is listed incorrectly as being against the main road but it is actually 200m south, on that little hillock. No doubt the map ref. was copied wrongly. There are a lot of jewish burials here also and it used to be home to the local swifts in summer - before they became extinct .The entranceway arch is now hopelessly shifted and can only be taken down and rebuilt. Perhaps, a decade ago, it might have been cranked back into place through tightening the scaffolding buttresses (hindsight being a perfect science).

·
12,973 Posts
"I visited Elswick cemetery the other day" Not a lot of people know that this is (unofficially) the oldest cemetery around as it contains a prehistoric burial mound. This is listed incorrectly as being against the main road but it is actually 200m south, on that little hillock. No doubt the map ref. was copied wrongly. There are a lot of jewish burials here also and it used to be home to the local swifts in summer - before they became extinct .The entranceway arch is now hopelessly shifted and can only be taken down and rebuilt. Perhaps, a decade ago, it might have been cranked back into place through tightening the scaffolding buttresses (hindsight being a perfect science).
Yes the Jewish cemetery has been subject to a lot of damage and vandalism, it's not been used for ages

·
12,973 Posts
Haymarket 1904

A 1904 photograph of Haymarket, Newcastle upon Tyne. Courtesy of the Jack and Geoff Phillips Photographic Collection. No Boer War Memorial there at this stage. Taxi Rank with its canteen. Also a urinal which is a rare sight in Newcastle now.

View attachment 223321
Ah you've clearly not been out in the Bigg Market for a while....

Of curse you are right, has anyone mapped the location of the public lavs' in Newcastle [I mean the 'historic' bricked up ones]. Initially it struck me that there were an extraordinary number, but it was then pointed out that if the plumbing arrangements at home were sketchy then these would be a huge public health benefit.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
Northumberland Street Junction

Another view of the Northumberland St, Pilgrim St, Blackett St and New Bridge St West from the Jack and Geoff Phillips Photographic Collection. One way traffic on Northumberland St.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
Top of Side

Top of Side, Newcastle upon Tyne, seen in three periods of time. Black and White images from the Jack and Geoff Phillips Photographic Collection, colour mine. To think that Admiral Lord Collingwood lived in one of the houses in the 1880 image.

1990's/2000?

Notice dormers now added to St Nicholas' Buildings in the below shot.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
What were the buildings on the left-hand side and why were they demolishes.
This is the street scene in early 90's. The building to the right went up to the top of the street. The top part is still there. It may have been an air raid shelter at one time?

Cheers
GBDT

·
Super Moderator
22,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,692

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
When I win the lottery, i'll buy that bit of land and design some townhouses to re-complete both sides of the Side.

On the first couple of floors there would be restaurant/cafe/bars with gardens amongst the castle retaining walls and steps, and the remaining floors of the townhouses with rooftop gardens overlooking this historic part of town.

If anyone wants to buy these townhouses, i'll let you know once I get the deeds :)

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Top of Side

Top of Side, Newcastle upon Tyne, seen in three periods of time. Black and White images from the Jack and Geoff Phillips Photographic Collection, colour mine. To think that Admiral Lord Collingwood lived in one of the houses in the 1880 image.

View attachment 287501

1990's/2000?
View attachment 287503

Notice dormers now added to St Nicholas' Buildings in the below shot.
View attachment 287505
In the 1880 picture there may be an inn/pub Lantern sign with ‘Spirits’ and ‘Vaults’ top and bottom.
What was the business there and when was it demolished?

·
Registered
20,503 Posts
"Walkways in the Sky", Newcastle - a You Tube video of what happened to the post WW2, built in 1960's similar high level pedestrian walkways in City of London

Following on my posting #6550 - 6553 of 26/10/17 showing pictures of the walkways, footbridges over roads in the Princess Square, Bewick Court, John Dobson St, Mea House etc area of Newcastle, see Remembering HISTORIC NEWCASTLE - Old Photos, Maps, even...

I came across this You Tube video The (Failed) London Pedway Revolution published by Jago Hazzard on 20/09/20

Link,

Very similar to situation in Newcastle

KEN

6681 - 6696 of 6696 Posts