SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Banned
3,054 Posts
So you're saying you live in the middle of nowhere. :lol:
If i look at some villages and especially look at the teenage girls who have no knowledge of apsolutely nothing, no matter if it´s langauce, politics, geography, history, maths, music and more, they just know to talk about local boys and chalga and Justin timberlake, so yes, that sometimes makes me think I´m living in the middle of nowhere.

·
Banned
3,054 Posts
Supposedly the most remote road in North America is the Trans-Taiga Road in Canada, 745 km (463 mi) away from the nearest settlement! :uh: If anyone here's driven this, it would be awesome!
yes, it would, you woudl really feel like somewhere in the middle of nowhere, would be awesome to drive that one.

·
283 Posts
Argentinean Patagonia and Torres del Paine

Some years ago I drove from Rio where I live to Argentinean Patagonia and Chile, extreme south of the Americas, a very remote and sparsely populated place. I have a bunch of photos but I´ll try to resume. These are some roads I took:

I remember this stetch of the road, almost 200km of a unbeliveable plane, straight road, without any curve or relief.

This is near Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego.

Crossing by ferry-boat the Magallanes Strait

Ushuaia, the most meridional city in the world (less than 1000km to Antarctica)

Crossing the border with Chile

A gas station in a "town" called Cerro Castillo, near Torres del Paine N.P. The pump is inside the mini house. The hose is pulled by the small hole below the window. By the way, I had to take the owner (a sympathic lady) at her home so she could me fill my tank.

Torres del Paine N.P.

I had to close my side mirrors to fit in this bridge!!

Back to Argentina

This day I drove about 500km on this gravel road (Ruta 40 - Argentina) and crossed with only 1 police car all the way long!!!

This is the place I stopped to overnight at the end of this day: Bajo Caracoles, 33 inhabitants (34 with me :lol: ) See how remote is it in Google Earth 47.4485466769, -70.9292176845

·
Registered
791 Posts
I love this thread! Especially the photo's of mcuri are really breathtaking.

I guess some roads in the North of Scandinavia are pretty isolated too. There must be some pictures of them.

·
51,382 Posts
I think the most remote road will be from Jakutsk to Magadan in Russia, over a 1000km of nothing. And then you have the road to Jakutsk itself, it's pretty remote too, over 1200km of nothing. So, over 2200km, only 1 city that is actually larger than some lone village.

But there are some roads near the Bering Strait in Russia which aren't connected at all to the Russian road network. That's what i call remote. You can't even go there by car.

Another very remote location is Manaus, Brazil. Far from any civilisation. But i guess the Trans Sahara Highway is even remoter.

·
Registered
7,087 Posts
I think the most remote road will be from Jakutsk to Magadan in Russia, over a 1000km of nothing. And then you have the road to Jakutsk itself, it's pretty remote too, over 1200km of nothing. So, over 2200km, only 1 city that is actually larger than some lone village.

But there are some roads near the Bering Strait in Russia which aren't connected at all to the Russian road network. That's what i call remote. You can't even go there by car.

Another very remote location is Manaus, Brazil. Far from any civilisation. But i guess the Trans Sahara Highway is even remoter.
My grandfather told me that once when he was on a kayak trip in Russia somewhere :D, they stopped at a village that had absolutely no roads going in or out of it. Food had to be taken there by a helicopter.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts