SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else detected that ever since the BBC agreed to move to MediaCity that certain departments seem to have developed a kind of collective corporate embarrassment of Manchester?

Sure stories are covered and live inserts are still there and programes still made etc but there are a couple of areas where they are almost appearing to downgrade Manchester in a kind of reverse bias against the city.

Map
Mentioned this before on on SCC but nothings changed since they first introduced it so the greatest example of MancShyness is the 'home' weather map (the UK map shown at the start and end of the national weather forecast on all BBC channels).

It's obviously been carefully laid out to allow the typography of the city names not to interfere with the temperature labels and to make the cities look like they are in neat diagonal rows but it leaves a huge gap between Birmingham and Newcastle (in which a good 10-15 million people actually live and in which clearly any one of the big four-in-a-row cities could arguably have a place - Liverpool/Manchester/Leeds/Hull).

Hull and Liverpool have occasionally both made brief appearances but far as I can recall neither Manchester or Leeds have made it onto the main home map. It's like no-one can quite decide which city to put on in case someone complains (and they couldn't possibly be seen to be favoritising Manchester which would be the obvious example for population reasons, so they leave them all off).

BACKDROP
Another area which seems really poor is the Regional studio's background images.

Now most of these are usually dull, tired and dreary still shots of the cities outside London but the worst one is the backdrop photo of Manchester - it hasn't changed for years and it doesn't really show off anything much of the city. Here you have an example of a skyline that has changed almost beyond recognition - a really handsome, good looking impressive regional city which could be represented by a myriad of different skylines or landmark buildings...and what do the BBC put up? A dreary old library still shot from the top of NBH looking up Oxford Road to the Central Library (carefully clipping off the Granada studios buildings) which must surely have been taken on a wet Bank Holiday in March.

Maybe this would've been acceptable 20 years ago but when it appears now it just looks like the provinces are...well...provinical!

I wrote to them to say it's just not good enough and to ask them to get some nice new shots, re-position the camera on the roof, smarten the act up...please!!! But we await the reply.

NWT
Lastly in my little rant, if you compare North West Tonight with Channel M news it's like a comedy. OK so we know Channel M has a focus on Manchester because that's what its' there for but (it feels like) ANY story outside Manchester gets priority just because it makes NWT look like they are reflecting the entire region.

OK it's a tough job for NWT editors because the North West is a large and diverse region but most people who live in Barnoldswick accept that it isnt gonna make the nightly news every evening coz it's a small place. Of course Manchester and to a lesser extent Liverpool, then Preston, Lancaster, Blackpool etc will dominate because more happens there and it seems really strange they artificially try and brush that off by over-emphasising stuff outside the major population areas, just to make it seem like they are not Manchester-biased. The result of course is this kind of collective embarrassment of the biggest city in the region.

Anyhow that's my two-penneth...:bash: what sayeth yee ol forummers?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Are you suggesting that people from Inner West London that run the BBC (and everything else in the UK) are actually against people in Manchester and the North? Ludicrous!!!!

London is the centre of the universe and in fact the biggest city in the world, significantly bigger than the second biggest city in the world (of Edinburgh). It must be true I read it in the Telegraph. Unlike Manchester (which is the rainiest place in the world with a rainfall of double that of the Brazilian rainforest) London has had 23 years of continuous sunshine and the streets are pathed with gold. The current 'rumour' that there is in fact 15 million people within 90 minutes of Manchester and only 13 million within 90 minutes of London is a disgraceful aberration of the truth. Barely a handful of people actually live in the North and they live entirely of the charity of those in London through 'handouts'.

The fact that the BBC is giving an accurate and realistic representation of the miserable situation in the 'Occupied Provinces' outside of the South East should be no cause for alarm.

You're clearly a communist/terrorist and a believer in 'conspiricy theories'? Crazy people like yourself are a danger to our great country and endanger public spirited backing of the current Tory/Labour ruling regime and in turn our glorous successes in the War in the East (Iraq/Afganistan/wherever is next)..

Anyhow I'm going back to lobby the government to spend some more of our taxpayers money on bailouts for the Investment Bankers and Hedge Fund owners who (quite coincidently) happen to live in Inner West London.

Yours
Sebastian Southern,
13 Never had to work a day in my life Square
South Kensington.
London.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Marko, valid points but no offence, I hope this thread dies soon.

Most of us are above this kind of whining about how the capital ignores our city. I know we've all done it at some point but the futility soon becomes apparent.

It's hard to take sometimes and it's wrong, but even if we all mailed in complaining letters it would only make us look like insecure bumpkins.

It's anomaly that can only be altered by the passage of time.

Look how long it's taking Liverpool to shake off its thieving/murdering/soap-dodging/self-pitying reputation. It shouldn't really have lasted so long, but it was (consciously or not) propagated by some of their own writers, the ill-informed national media, and sadly by a large faction of their own people.

Once the huge Mediacity gets rolling, it will go a long long way in correcting the situation.

Then we just have to ride it out.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fair enough Sir Miles. Had my cheesy whinge. I'll leave it now - feel free to delete oh great administrators in the sky....scraper! (very funny response from BeachDude though!):lol:

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Mark you almost sound like a certain breed of scouser that never leaves Liverpool, then!

In the great scheme of things, Manchester's topographical status on a weather report barely matters.

And some times, being "ignored" by the Islington cum Oxbridge cum (pick whatever clique you wish from the South east) is a blessing.

We have long past the point in our collective Mancunian destinines, when we need the approval of London to vindicate ourselves.

The rest of the world now matters in this century.

By the way I am apparently being bought your book as one of my birthday presents. That should cheer you up. It does me.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Mark you almost sound like a certain breed of scouser that never leaves Liverpool, then!

In the great scheme of things, Manchester's topographical status on a weather report barely matters.

And some times, being "ignored" by the Islington cum Oxbridge cum (pick whatever clique you wish from the South east) is a blessing.

We have long past the point in our collective Mancunian destinines, when we need the approval of London to vindicate ourselves.

The rest of the world now matters in this century.

By the way I am apparently being bought your book as one of my birthday presents. That should cheer you up. It does me.
Agreed but the current regime does make you think that low taxation might actually be a good thing. Yes we have redistribution but it's redistribution of people, resources and money from North to South.... In a high tax economy what the ruling elite in Inner West London think is an important thing as they take your/mine/our tax payers money and then spend it all on central London and the South East.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
to be honest, i think we do quite well. I think most of the UK does alright to be honest. Our media could be ALOT more London-centric. It's 'Britain this, Britain that' these days.

·
Less is more.
6,209 Posts
I've noticed the map thing myself and come to the same conclusion that the beeb don't want to appear biased in favour of Mancunia over the other large conurbations in the north. That said, it is a bit of a weedy excuse if that's the case. They seemingly have no problem whatsoever in plonking Birmingham on there when there are other large-ish cities near by who may object.

The problem though, like others have said, is we end up sounding like a bunch of parochial whingers if we raise any objections to it. It does piss me off a bit but I take comfort in the fact that Manchester is the greatest city in the world and those that have yet to discover this fact will do so over time, and those that refute it deserve our collective sympathy.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Makes a change.

But they still miss Manchester out on the BBC TV weather map. In fact, I don't think a single city is shown between Birmingham and Newcastle.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I think there shouldn't be any cities. One small step towards forcing peple to think a little bit.

The beeb could swop around place names and I bet a few million people wouldn't even notice.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I think there shouldn't be any cities. One small step towards forcing peple to think a little bit.

The beeb could swop around place names and I bet a few million people wouldn't even notice.
:lol:

Unfortunately I'm sure that's very true.

·
10th February 2008
59,905 Posts
I can say with 100% certainty that NWT uses a shot of Mediacity behind the presenters. If all else fails, NWT will always come to the rescue.

·
10th February 2008
59,905 Posts
Liverpool's relationship with the BBC is slightly different to Madchester's though. If the BBC hate Manchester, goodness how you could describe their attitude towards Liverpool.
Actually, you'll find that the average(SSC forum) Scouser hates the BBC more than the BBC hates Scousers. If it does?

I mean. Fancy flooding the BBC with emails beacuse Liverpool isn't shown on the BBC weather map.

Mark Thompson, Monday morning. "Right, this weeks anti-Scouse agenda is..."

1 - 20 of 23 Posts