SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
14,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
REQUEST: Future Sydney Skyline picture
SCOPE: I know there are some smart cookies out there that are able to photoshop proposals into the skylines - Melburnians and Brisbanites I'm looking at some of you in particular.
REWARD: Ample likes and gratitude from Sydneysiders
PROJECT RUNDOWN:
I have included only those projects that are likely to impact the skyline from some angle.

CBD - 12
BARANGAROO - 6
DARLING HARBOUR - 3
TOTAL - 21

AS AT MARCH 18 2015

Code:
[B]NAME             LOCATION      HEIGHT     LEVELS      STATUS [/B]
CROWN TOWERS     BARANGAROO    271M       70          STAGE 1 PROPOSED
ONE SYD HBR T1   BARANGAROO    265M       70          STAGE 1 PROPOSED
505 GEORGE ST    CBD           264M       78          STAGE 1 PROPOSED
GREENLAND CENTRE CBD           236M       68          STAGE 2 APPROVED
182 GEORGE ST    CBD           235M       60          CONCEPT
[B]INT TOWER 1      BARANGAROO    217M       49          UNDER CONSTRUCTION[/B]
QUAY QUARTER TWR CBD           209M       49          STAGE 1 APPROVED
ONE SYD HBR T2   BARANGAROO    217M       60          STAGE 1 PROPOSED
1 ALFRED STREET  CBD           187M       55          STAGE 2 APPROVED
[B]INT TOWER 2      BARANGAROO    178M       43          TOPPED OUT[/B]
TATTERSALLS TOWERCBD           168M       48          STAGE 1 PROPOSED
[B]INT TOWER 3      BARANGAROO    168M       39          UNDER CONSTRUCTION[/B]
33 BLIGH STREET  CBD           165M       30          STAGE 2 APPROVED
[B]200 GEORGE ST    CBD           155M       35          UNDER CONSTRUCTION[/B]
YORK & GEORGE    CBD           137M       40          STAGE 2 APPROVED
[B]DARLING ONE      DARLING HRBR  136M       40          PREPARATION[/B]
DARLING TWO      DARLING HRBR  136M       41          STAGE 1 PROPOSED
WYNYARD PLACE    CBD           134M       34          STAGE 1 PROPOSED
[B]SOFITEL          DARLING HRBR  130M       38          PREPARATION[/B]
130 ELIZABETH ST CBD           123M       38          STAGE 2 PROPOSED
116 BATHURST ST  CBD           118M       35          STAGE 2 PROPOSED

LEGEND
CONCEPT - Project is known about and building envelope has been drafted but plans yet to be submitted
STAGE 1 PROPOSED - DA for building envelope proposed
STAGE 1 APPROVED - DA for building envelope approved
STAGE 2 PROPOSED - DA for design proposed
STAGE 2 APPROVED - DA for design approved
PREPARATION
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
TOPPED OUT

---

Some renders:
THE BARANGAROO 6

https://www.barangaroosouth.com.au/about/~/media/Developments/AU/BR/Documents/Media%20Releases%202015/Mod%208%20Brochure%20Final.pdf

505 GEORGE STREET

Screen Shot 2014-11-25 at 4.03.32 PM by Sky_Is_The_Limit1, on Flickr

GREENLAND CENTRE

182 GEORGE STREET

Screen Shot 2015-02-05 at 12.38.45 AM by Sky_Is_The_Limit1, on Flickr

QUAY QUARTER TOWER

1 ALFRED STREET

Screen Shot 2014-10-12 at 9.14.39 PM by Sky_Is_The_Limit1, on Flickr

TATTERSALLS TOWER

33 BLIGH STREET

200 GEORGE STREET

YORK & GEORGE

THE DARLING HARBOUR 3

130 ELIZABETH STREET

116 BATHURST STREET

-----

Is anyone able to have a go?

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Avatar might want to take it on just for the sake of helping us and at the same time venting his fury that his building designs are not getting picked.

In Sydney we are lucky that we have CULWULLA's model to guide us in understanding in what does lies ahead.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,842 Posts
Avatar might want to take it on just for the sake of helping us and at the same time venting his fury that his building designs are not getting picked.

In Sydney we are lucky that we have CULWULLA's model to guide us in understanding in what does lies ahead.
It's not like I have supplied my designs to anyone as a serious option. :)

·
Galactic Ruler
6,842 Posts
I still think my Barangaroo proposal was phenomenal, it would have cemented Sydney's position as an advanced forward-thinking, progressive, waterbased city. One that finally worked out how to embrace it's harbour and city, something no other city has yet managed to do well. Constructing building elements that grow into the harbour using a retro-futuristic paradigm that alludes to nature and brings both city and water together is something we should be exploring.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I still think my Barangaroo proposal was phenomenal, it would have cemented Sydney's position as an advanced forward-thinking, progressive, waterbased city. One that finally worked out how to embrace it's harbour and city, something no other city has yet managed to do well. Constructing building elements that grow into the harbour using a retro-futuristic paradigm that alludes to nature and brings both city and water together is something we should be exploring.
You've got me intrigued. Is there anywhere we can see this plan?

·
Registered
72,450 Posts
lol, thats your opinion. i think the current plan is superior to anything proposed and is perfect for sydney and its progressive and forward thinking ect ect:lol::lol::banana::cheers:

·
perthistan
6,364 Posts
You've got me intrigued. Is there anywhere we can see this plan?
Im intrigued too, where can we see it?

·
Galactic Ruler
6,842 Posts
lol, thats your opinion. i think the current plan is superior to anything proposed and is perfect for sydney and its progressive and forward thinking ect ect:lol::lol::banana::cheers:
Cul you can't disagree there was a plethora of better proposals put forward for the Darling Harbour East competition. It is certainly not the best option that we have ended up with. Have a look at just how inspirational the Hudson Rail Yards development has ended up. We could have doe a lot better - too much compromise IMO.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,842 Posts
SYDNEY | Synchronicity at Wessex | 500m | Pro
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=59434049&postcount=3023

Name - Synchronicity
Location- East Darling Harbour - Wessex (west of Sussex) NYC naming idea for Barangaroo
Large business and campus style ground scrapers with parkland covering the undulating roof lines. Towers start off with business friendly large floor plates tapering up into elegant slim floor plates for residential and hotel. Campus finger buildings are designed with canal like water entrances to the harbour to provide a direct link as if the mega structure is organically growing from the harbour.

Q
Now time for me to hassle you with some questions:
How much would this cost?

A
Alot, no doubt and substantially more than the current proposal. It could still be built in stages with the southern towers built first to offset some of the cost burden associated with the construction of the north end. The good thing about this proposal is that it would generate income from every part of the space, as office and sellable space covers the entire site.

Q
Why are the towers twisted? What does this say about Sydney as a global city?
What about cultural facilities?

A
Aesthtics primarily but their form has added benefits, the twisting shape is evocative of nature, like twisting vines, sea reeds. It was done to echo the aquatic theme and to create something more naturalistic in shape. The twisting gives rise to better and more dynamic view lines from every point of the CBD and those suburbs outside the CBD. There are no massive walls of towers and so everyone gets some type of sight line - it could effectively placate some residents who stand to loose views through the current design.

I think the development says innovation, forward thinking, 'can do' (through creative building techniques) it embodies the idea of the SOH, where Sydney sought to do something revolutionary that was both artistic and an engineering challenge. It's also got an environmental aesthetic with sympathetic use of organic shapes, and nature within the very design elements of the form (ie grass and parkland on the undulating buildings). I think overall it says sydney is open for business and welcomes the attention.

There's plenty of room for sporting facilities, such as pools, gyms, and even room for some courts and such, possibly an indoor/outdoor soccer size field. I'd be happy to see parts of the development feature museums such as an indigenous history centre. Universities are already looking at the current site and want to be involved esp UNSW and UTS.

The design of the linked ground scrapers suggests a living breathing whole, where all forms of entertainment, shopping, culture, education, sport, business and tourism, transport terminal, come together in a whole. Imagine it like a microcosmic snapshot, an integrated city within a city, that not only embraces the life inside, but also embraces the very city it sits within. The development is open, active and seeks to reconcile the very closed nature of a typical city and redefine what a city actually means by bringing opposing elements together in a joyous, playful fusion.

Q
I do like the sloped parklands though.

A
It's a cute reference to our Parliament house, it also gives the ability to 'provide something for everyone' by allowing all space to be used to perform a function and all this while still maintaining a moderately environmental look and feel.
Questions were from Fabian in 2010

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Cul you can't disagree there was a plethora of better proposals put forward for the Darling Harbour East competition. It is certainly not the best option that we have ended up with. Have a look at just how inspirational the Hudson Rail Yards development has ended up. We could have doe a lot better - too much compromise IMO.
How did we compromise on Barangaroo if this was the original scheme?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts