SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am planning a 2-day visit to Chicago with a friend. We will stay in a hotel on the Michigan Ave.

I need some advise for good restaurants and bars or clubs for a drink after dinner. PLease inform if we can go by feet or by taxi. We will be there on Friday and Saturday so please also tell if we need reservation.

Thanks!

·
Banned
4,807 Posts
For lunch, on Michigan ave, nothing beats the 95th floor Buffet in the JOhn Hancock.

Only 15 per person on monday-Saturday(actually, I'm not sure if they have it monday- friday, I think they do), and I dont know about sunday, but its expensive.

Nice view of Chicago that will make your trip a memorable one! Looking north from the John Hancock, you might see trees and a "farm"(lincoln park zoo), and miami/gold coast(Aus) type of city(a strip of land with water inbetween with parks and beaches). Look south, you'll see the skyline.. of chicago. Looking west you'll see the nice Lake Michigan, you might even see the state of Michigan if you're lucky.

I really recommend this. Only $15, with no admission.

OR

you could go to the 96th floor and have a nice drink (in their bar), I never went up there, as I am not allow(because I'm 13, but I saw many people drinking up there)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't know if this will make it to you, but here it goes.

I also don't know what your definition of expensive is, so you can check the prices at one of the site Simpatico mentioned

Walking Distance Restaurants
- Lou Malnatis - Deep Dish (does not take reserverations)
- Cafe Iberico - Tapas (does not take reserverations)
- Portillos - Fast food hot-dog, italian beef
- Gibsons - Steak (reservations recommended)
- Frontera Grill - Upscale mexican (does not take reserverations)

Old Town restaurants (Long walk, short cab)
- Salpicon - Upscale mex (reservations recommended)
- Topo Giggio - Italian (reservations recommended)
- Bistro Margot - French Bistro (reservations recommended)

Bars on Clark and Division (Long walk, short cab)
- Bunch of bars here, ranging from laid back to loud college bar with upstairs dance floor

Bars on Addison in Wrigleyville (L-train or cab)
- Similar to clark and division

Bars on Southport (Ltrain or cab)
- A little more laid back than Addison counterpart.

Clubs (Cab)
I didn't frequent clubs as much, but the ones I liked:
- Dragon Room
- Circus
- Crowbar

·
Registered
492 Posts
N. Wells St. between Goethe and North Ave. has a great stretch of diverse, reasonably priced restaurants. Irish, French, Italian, etc. In fact, this piece of Wells St. in general is a nice escape into a neighborhood that is "downtown" but has some neighborhood character...different from the stretch on Ohio/Ontario with Rainforest Cafe, Hard Rock, etc.

·
Registered
492 Posts
ThirdCoast312 said:
N. Wells St. is an area infested with suburbanties and reminds me more of glencoe or Willmette rather than chicago
Well, if you are talking about the "Ginos East, Ed Debevic's, Hooters" stretch, I'll agree with you, but for the 3 blocks of Wells I was referring to, I wouldn't say that. Most of the people on that stretch of Wells St. are either older folks from the city or people who live in Old Town. It certainly isn't as infested with suburbanites to the degree other areas in River North or Navy Pier is.

·
Registered
413 Posts
ThirdCoast312 said:
N. Wells St. is an area infested with suburbanties and reminds me more of glencoe or Willmette rather than chicago
That's Wells through River North, and it's mostly tourists. He was talking about the stretch through Old Town, north of Division, which is most definitely a destination for residents of the Gold Coast and Lincoln Park, and has some of my favorite restaurants in the city.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2 weeks ago I spent 3 days in Chicago and 5 days in Evanston

In Chicago I generally walked around Michigan ave. also I visited Shed's Aquarium.

For dinner we went to Sushi Samba (I highly recommend) , Mirai (Japanese) and a steak house in Westin hotel.

For listenin Blues, one night we went to Blue Chicago.

For lunch I enjoyed the lounge on the top of John Hankock building.

·
Registered
466 Posts
oh yes, Sushi Samba Rio. I believe this is a New York transplant. Wonderfully decorated (I heard their interior designer spent upwards of $1 million putting the interior together) and pretty decent food (although nothing special). I've been there twice and had a good time both times, their bar is wonderful.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I need some advise for good restaurants and bars or clubs for a drink after dinner. PLease inform if we can go by feet or by taxi.

There are many many restaurants in that area but some of my favorites are:

Gaylord of India (Indian) Clark Street @ Huron
Heaven on Seven (Cajun/creole) Ontario Street at Rush
VTK (Thai) State and Hubbard
Bacino's (Chicago style pizza) Wacker Drive just west of Michigan Ave.
Billy Goat Tavern (smokey sub-terranian bar/cheeseburgers) Michigan Ave. @ Kinzie lower level

·
born again cyclist
3,908 Posts
ThirdCoast312 said:
wtf? have you ever set foot in glencoe or wilmette? there is not one single tiny bit of any section of wells that even remotely resembles anything in either glencoe or wilmette, and i would know as i grew up in fucking wilmette.

·
Registered
492 Posts
ThirdCoast312 said:
There isn't a square inch of the section of Wells I was talking about (Division to a couple blocks past North Ave.) that resembles Glencoe or Willmette. It certainly is not a dominant tourist area of the city. It is primarily a recreational magnet for residents of the Near North area.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I was actually talking about Old Town N. Wells and i find a lot of the people there eating in restaurants and walking down the strip to either be surbanites or have suburban edge to them, specifically a "north shore edge". That's just my opinion.

·
Registered
492 Posts
ThirdCoast312 said:
I was actually talking about Old Town N. Wells and i find a lot of the people there eating in restaurants and walking down the strip to either be surbanites or have suburban edge to them, specifically a "north shore edge". That's just my opinion.
I live right next to this piece of Wells. I'm on that stretch all the time, and I rarely see people who I would peg as suburbanites.

What exactly is a suburban edge? Deck shoes and pleated khaki shorts?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.