Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
By Spirit
25,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
$1.8m restoration for 1820s shrine

21 May 05

ONE of Singapore's oldest shrines is to be restored as a heritage centre to showcase Indian-Muslim history and artefacts.

About $1.8 million will be spent on Nagore Durgha in Telok Ayer Street, which was gazetted as a national monument more than 10 years ago.

The single-storey shrine will have a new multi-purpose hall that can be used, among other things, to solemnise marriages as well as to conduct religious classes.

It was built in the late 1820s by South Indian Muslims in memory of Shahul Hamid, a holy man from Nagore, South India.

During that period, Telok Ayer Street was home to many South Indian Muslims, mainly the Chulias, who are Muslims from South India's Coromandel Coast.

Besides the Nagore Durgha, they also built Jamae and Al-Abrar mosques located near Telok Ayer Street.

The restoration work on the shrine will take about two years to complete, said the chairman of its fund-raising committee, Mr Mohd Abdul Jaleel, yesterday.

'To restore it as a national monument building is to restore its presence and pride among the Indian Muslim community, in particular, and the Singapore Muslim community, in general,' he added.

Warees Investments, the property arm of Muis or the Islamic Religious Council of Singapore, will carry out the restoration. So far, about $330,000 has been raised for it.

Those who wish to donate to the project may send cash or cheque to Bencoolen Mosque in Bencoolen Street.

·
3,636 Posts
It's the one near China Square Central right ?
That's good news, I'm sure it would look very good if it was not let down like that.

·
By Spirit
25,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like its rotting away and when I walked past it, weeds were growing out of its crevices...this will be a very impressive landmark when restored..considering its almost as old as Singapore!

·
By Spirit
25,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didnt know about this building until only recently and as hya mentioned, its been abandoned for at least 5 years.
I hope the restoration will bring back its brilliance and it would be lit up like a jewel at night! :banana:

·
By Spirit
25,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally it has been fully restored!

But it's entrance was locked. I'm not sure if it will be open for public visits.

A very simple, humble and elegant structure :yes:

·
means tortoise in malay
2,576 Posts
wow. glad they didnt tear down the building.

anyway, i think they choseto repaint it coz it willactually be cheaper than to restore it facade inch by inch.

·
By Spirit
25,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wow. glad they didnt tear down the building.
It might be one of the oldest surviving buildings on the island since Raffles landed.

In fact the street where its located used to be the seafront, and the other famous temple (Thian Hock Keng), is located next door.

Some history:

Telok Ayer Street
Would be good to consider hotel use here...

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I would still prefer it to be painted white and green . Restored to its former glory may be expensive but it is priceless. Although, glad that it is being restored anyway. Great work. Wonder how is it inside. Will it be a mosque or a museum?? That area need to be alive in the evening as well. It is quite busy during lunchtime.

·
By Spirit
25,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hope they will permit visitors, unless its very sacred inside..
Agree I have observed that the area is bustling with office workers during lunchtime but totally dead on weekends and at night.

Given that the street is one of the most rich in heritage and history, perhaps more activity-generating uses can be injected into this area. Although, the quietness can be charming. Sometimes we need a bit of peace in the city.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Restoration by strengtening the overall structure is ok..
I hate it when they patched things up and repainted it..making it look like a replica or some sort..
Making it lose all appeal of the historical value!:eek:hno:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.