SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was lucky to be invited on tour of sydneys central railway clock tower tower. What an amazing structure.
the largest in Australia and 2nd tallest at 75m.
built in 1921, its undergoing an extensive restoration .
The 75m scaffolding structure was agreed upon after abseiling became to dangerous.
the prymont stone is being used for replacement.

piccies.

acess by slowing movinglift up 13floors

incredible concrete spiral staircase

hes seen alot of time

how they actually look
clock face

due to detirating stone the dome will be covered with copper
amazing work

amazing views 75m up!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Love the foreshortening of the last shot Cul - makes the Fraser's site look small! Is DSTA/Commerce/Public Works and services doing it?

·
Registered
77,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^yeah sure will.but only way to fix stone. detoriating badly. must be only stone dome?
inego-not sure. a bunch of people are contracted on the massive job. there are 20 stages for restoring central. only 3 have been completed. 4th is tower and 5th is the viaduct which has also commenced,

·
Registered
386 Posts
Not really related to the thread per se, but I think that that ugly road in front of Central Station should be demolished and replaced with a nice pretty square.

·
Registered
77,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lijman-steeple is 41m spire of st stephens, newtown.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
I remember there was restoration work done on the clock tower a few years ago before this current phase of restoration.

The clock was stopped at 10:10 in the sixth shot which is the industry standard for watch and clock advertisements.

McCafferty Pyrmont Yellow Block Sandstone is the sandstone being used which is kept by the NSW Government in special reserves.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Fascinating project.
Thanks for the pix. I would have sat on the edge of that copper dome just so I could point to it in future and say that I once sat up there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts